Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Waiting for fireworks...

Height Checks for the little ones

My daughter is teetering on the 40" mark. Sometimes when I measure her she's 39.5" and other times she's right at 40". Depends on what tennis shoes she's wearing and if she'll stand still for 2 seconds in order for me to measure her.

Do you think that I should even let her try and get on some of the rides that have the 40" requirement? I'd hate to tell her "Let's go ride Thunder Mountain" and then she couldn't.

I guess what I'm really wondering is if any of you have had your kids right on the border and have had any luck with getting them on a ride.

Re: Height Checks for the little ones

I would say just get her to wear the taller shoes. However I will say their must be a reason for the hight restrictions. I thought big thunder was 38". When we took our son last year he was 42" and he did get checked quite often.

We're going to start with Matterhorn and Gadget's Go-Coaster first since those only require 35" and she'll definitely make it. We'll see how she handles those and if she's up for it we'll go ahead and try for one of the bigger rides. Even if she does make the height requirement, I don't think I'll be taking her on Space Mountain. I think that it's a little too intense for a 3 1/2 year old. (plus I was scared of that ride until I was like 25

• "I Break Things"

I'm not sure of the seniority these days. I know in the past if the shoe was more then a 1/2in they'd have the kid slip off the shoes and re-check them. This was back when Disney was paranoid of DOSH... but to be fair there is a reason for the height check. Indy actually used to be 48in. The ride itself was toned down, and the height lowered to 46in, because of all the complaints.

What I always suggested was to take a tape measure at home and mark out 41in. Tell the kid it is 40in, but have that extra 1in as a safety buffer to make sure they'll be tall enough. Nothing is worse then a buildup of expectations to go on an attraction, then getting pulled for not being tall enough. Everyone sees the greeter, but on most attractions they are looking over the kids right up until they board. I've seen kids on Indy, Splash, Thunder, and Space all get pulled right before they got on.

What you also have to consider is that height is a poor judge of how a child will react. Sure they may be "tall enough" to ride but will they be "old enough" to enjoy it. Every kid is different, you know your kid, but I would go with Panda's advice and start out with Gadget or , Matterhorn. If the little one likes those, and isn't tall enough for the others then you have a fallback.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

I saw it happen today. I think it also depends on the cast member. A little girl wanted to ride the bumper cars in bugs land. She got turned away because she was a hair short. The dad was really upset and pulled out a video camera showing her riding it eariler in the day.

• =)

Firstly, I'd recommend not trying to circumvent Disney's rules on this. The height requirements are there for safety reasons, and it's just not worth it to try to get around them.

Secondly, if you're not sure your daughter will meet the requirement, you could try phrasing it differently: "Let's go see how much more you have to grow before you can ride _________!" That way, you're not setting up the expectation that she's tall enough. If she is tall enough, it's a pleasant surprise, and if she's not, it becomes a fun goal. In my visits, I haven't seen too many kids be horribly disappointed by not being tall enough. If anything, it seems like it's the parents that are disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Firstly, I'd recommend not trying to circumvent Disney's rules on this. The height requirements are there for safety reasons, and it's just not worth it to try to get around them.

Secondly, if you're not sure your daughter will meet the requirement, you could try phrasing it differently: "Let's go see how much more you have to grow before you can ride _________!" That way, you're not setting up the expectation that she's tall enough. If she is tall enough, it's a pleasant surprise, and if she's not, it becomes a fun goal. In my visits, I haven't seen too many kids be horribly disappointed by not being tall enough. If anything, it seems like it's the parents that are disappointed.
    That's a great idea! I'm going to use that. I'm afraid that it probably will be her dad that is the most disappointed. Lily and I could spend all day on IASW and Pirates alone

• Minion

If she is tall enough to ride BTMRR make sure you hold on to her tight. My daughter first rode around that same age and loved it but if I wouldn't have held onto her I am not sure she would have stayed in the train!

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

In response to Tibre's post: A Cast Member can be fired for letting someone who isn't tall enough onto their attraction. Do kids sometimes slip through? Sure. But yelling at the CMs for enforcing the rules that are there to protect your kid from harm is just plain stupid. I've had Guests ask me if "there's some kind of waiver I can sign so she can ride?" I've confiscated home-made platform sandals off a three-year-old. I've been this close to calling CPS on people. It's one of the most frustrating things we deal with. Please don't be "THAT GUY".

In my experience, the "Let's go see how long 'till you're tall enough!" approach is a winner every time. Kids don't get their hopes up, but sometimes get pleasantly surprised. It's really great that you're thinking of all this stuff in advance; this is the kind of pre-disneyland-vacation thinking CMs wish that ALL Guests did
    Last edited by RumRunner31; 12-08-2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: I somehow didn't get the quote into the post? Fail.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy View Post
    If she is tall enough to ride BTMRR make sure you hold on to her tight. My daughter first rode around that same age and loved it but if I wouldn't have held onto her I am not sure she would have stayed in the train!
    I for sure will be holding her tight! This is why I don't want her to go on Space Mountain. I would be scared the entire time for her.

She will be wearing her normal tennis shoes. I don't want her to be walking around all day in weird shoes that her feet aren't used to. I made the bad mistake of wearing new tennis shoes once all day to Disneyland and I ended up with blisters. I won't put her thru that pain.

• Banned User

Some parents just don't get it; or are too stupid to understand that the height requirements are there so a child is safe and the possibility of falling out are greatly reduced. If a child is too short this year and can't get on, they will be able to next year. Disappointment? It is part of life. Kids will get over it.

• =)

Yep. Of course, the problem is that when your kid is really close to meeting the requirement, it seems like that fraction of an inch couldn't really make a difference. But that's always gonna be an issue whenever you've got a rule or law that sets a threshold value along some spectrum and says that anything on this side is okay, and anything on this side isn't. No matter where that threshold is, there will always be some folks who are not quite there. If you make an exception for them...well, what about the people who are sooooo close to their value? Every adjustment of the threshold just means that different people will be complaining. To my thinking, the only viable solution is to pick that threshold and stick to it in all but the extenuating-est of circumstances.

Also, thanks for your input as a CM, RumRunner31. If CMs can be fired for breaking this policy - which doesn't surprise me - that's all the more reason not to pressure them into bending the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Also, thanks for your input as a CM, RumRunner31. If CMs can be fired for breaking this policy - which doesn't surprise me - that's all the more reason not to pressure them into bending the rules.
    I would hate to be the reason anyone got fired. I also hate when I see people yelling at CM's for things that are beyond their control. Like the line is too long or the food wasn't good enough. Come on people you're at Disneyland!!! Sorry getting off topic

Anyways....I know we'll have fun regardless of whether she'll get to ride those few other rides but if she makes it, it'll just be that much more fun. Going as a family of three it can be a little lonely riding alone.

Thanks everyone who responded. You've all given me some great ideas and some things to think about. Micechatters are the best!

Side note with materhorn. Make sure you warn her about the yetti. We made the mistake of not telling our son and refused to go on another ride for 2 days. Try making it fun "oh oh here comes the big teddy, see if you can roar loader than him"

• Yeah...I'm cool

I completely understand regarding the safety of the children. As a parent, what i don't appreciate or understand is the discrepency between the measurment devices at each of the attractions.

a few years back, my son hit the 40" mark on Star Tours, Big Thunder, but not Splash. At CA Adventure, he hit the 40" on Tower, but not Jumping Jellyfish.

Last year, he hit the 46" mark at the fast pass for Indy, he hit the mark and was allowed to enter after measuring at the enterance to the ride. They measured him one more time before he got onthe ride and said he didn't make it.
    spunky likes to suck that 3rd nipple(why am I your sig line........freak)! - Posted by my good friend Samsma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast