Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Future Cast Member :)

Re: How popular is Duffy at Disney California Adventure?

I think he might be a little more popular if they put him in some kind of mini cartoon on Disney Channel. How are people going to know who he is if they're a tourist coming from out of the area? Plus I think they just like different things in Japan.

a lot of people don't get the whole Duffy hype for some reason. i do though =) i love my duffy, even though i've never been to tokyo

• Please pull the yellowtab

The average guest has no clue who Duffy is other than a bear with a sailor suit. Most guests stare in confusion as they walk on past his rather lonely meet-and-greet area and on past the desperate looking CMs who try to lure them in.

I could see Duffy being a popular character but Disney isn't doing very well on marketing him. Only hardcore Disney fans and Japanese guests recognize him. For me, he's simply a cute mascot for TDLR.

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    Duffy just seems the the most transparent attempt at shilling merch ever. Like there was a brainstorming session that got lazy and someone just said "How about a Teddy Bear that really isn't any different then any other Teddy Bear out there, and we will make up some BS about it being Mickey's? That way we can charge more for it"
    Bingo. Duffy is a soulless product plopped out the back side of Disney marketing in the hopes of reaping quick and cheap profits.

Although they have tried to provide his story through a series of display boards, the lack of familiarity, especially with Mickey or Santa nearby, has really been a downer for the cute bear. People just don't want to take the time to read a bunch of boards to learn who this character is. The crowds are bigger at the carnival games on the pier. I would agree with the others that they would need to put up a show or ads on TV to suck the little ones in. For the most part, I have only seen him taking photos with adults.

Sam
    SamLand's Disney Adventures

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

The line yesterday for Duffy was fairly large. Every time I walked by, there were a lot of people waiting for him.

Yeah, it just totally escapes me how someone can be a "fan" of a characterless generic teddy bear launched in such a blatantly shilling, and totally non-creative, way.

• Banned User

This coming from a CM that actually works Treasure, I will have to say Duffy is FAR from a failure! Malin is right in believing the online community is exaggerating his loneliness. He's not a HUGE hit like he is in Japan, but do you really expect that kind of success that quickly without any promotion? For what they are doing and very minimal advertising, Duffy is selling pretty well! And it's not just Japanese guests, I see locals buying him too! And tourists! They might not know the story, and I usually have to explain it to them, but they just want him because he is so cute! Add to that that we occasionally are selling out of his merch, and I'd say Disney has a hit brewing in their hands. They just have to take the extra steps to make him a HUGE hit! They NEED to have better costumes! The costumes we have are CRAP! So much so that I just spend more money to have outfits sent to me from Japan. At first I hated the fact of the 12" holiday ones, but they are actually REALLY cute! Especially the new Valentines one. If Disney pushes to promote him more and make him apart of the park like they do in TDS(Which I'm sure they will do in the future), he will be very popular!

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

I wish they sold holiday clothing for him

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    This coming from a CM that actually works Treasure, I will have to say Duffy is FAR from a failure! Malin is right in believing the online community is exaggerating his loneliness. He's not a HUGE hit like he is in Japan, but do you really expect that kind of success that quickly without any promotion? For what they are doing and very minimal advertising, Duffy is selling pretty well! And it's not just Japanese guests, I see locals buying him too! And tourists! They might not know the story, and I usually have to explain it to them, but they just want him because he is so cute! Add to that that we occasionally are selling out of his merch, and I'd say Disney has a hit brewing in their hands. They just have to take the extra steps to make him a HUGE hit! They NEED to have better costumes! The costumes we have are CRAP! So much so that I just spend more money to have outfits sent to me from Japan. At first I hated the fact of the 12" holiday ones, but they are actually REALLY cute! Especially the new Valentines one. If Disney pushes to promote him more and make him apart of the park like they do in TDS(Which I'm sure they will do in the future), he will be very popular!
    This.

For those who don't understand the appeal of Duffy ,it's really hard to explain, but the reason i like him is he is suppose to be a bear of adventure, the slogan for him is "Where will you take your Duffy?", and i take him everywhere! I even got him a "grape soda"button from the movie"UP" (ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!) to where on his journey's Every disney related trip i go on with my friends or family Duffy is now taken with me and for some reason, i don't know why, he makes the trip even more fun! i love finding certain places at the parks and thinking "duffy needs a picture with this" . 2 weeks ago my friends and i went to DL when they saw me with my Duffy they were like"who the heck is duffy"by the end of the trip after they meet the meet and greet Duffy, whose line is actually was long,they were IN LOVE with him.
    My new favorite hobby at DL, taking pictures of Duffy:

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...6/109_1650.jpg

• Closed Account

Internally, he hasn't been successful enough. It's kind of a sad joke at this point.
    If things don't (drastically) change soon, Duffy will almost completely disappear within the coming months.

• The Original Disney Doll

Originally I had wanted one. When I actually saw him in person my reaction was "meh." I didn't buy one. I get the idea of taking him everywhere and taking pictures but as a single parent hauling around my 4 year old, stoller and necessary gear adding a bear into the mix for pics in front of stuff isn't my idea of fun. I'd rather take pictures of my DS instead of some stuffed bear. I think that they need to make Duffy a real character, as a PP said he needs to be in a cartoon of some sort. That way more people will identify him and he will have a personality. Otherwise what is the difference between this bear anything I could buy at any toy store or Walmart for that matter? As far as dressing the bear up, well that is a cute idea for kids but then they need more clothing options. The costumes I saw were kind of lame, I didn't like any of them. Adding the girl bear, Shelly, might help too. But again, they need to put them in a cartoon special so can get to know them.

I'm not even going to try to guess how much $$$$ will be flushed down the drain if Duffy gets taken out of the parks...

And while I don't think there really was much planning from merchandising executives other than fanfare and word-of-mouth hype, I see Duffy along the same lines as Pookaloos and Club Penguin. Not entirely harmful to the core Disney brand, but not really all that necessary either. I will say this in Duffy's favor: he and Shelly Mae have been in the Disney family longer and have ALOT more right to be in the parks than the Marvel characters do!

Just sayin'...

• Rock Star Minion

He's analogous to DCA: "I like DCA because it's not as crowded..." = "I like Duffy, because the meet-and-greet line is always short...."
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast