Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Doombuggies.com Member

Re: How popular is Duffy at Disney California Adventure?

There was no one in line for Duffy in California Adventure when I went 2 months ago. There was a long line for Winnie the Pooh back by his ride. Pooh's been my bear of choice since the day I was born and I wouldn't change a thing.

By the way, what's a Duffy?
    When asked his opinion of Disney’s California Adventure, John Hench, 65-year Disney veteran and the official portrait artist for Mickey Mouse, reportedly said, “I liked it better as a parking lot."

The two times I walked by Duffy today the line was real short and there was a decent number of people in PP.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I think he might be a little more popular if they put him in some kind of mini cartoon on Disney Channel. How are people going to know who he is if they're a tourist coming from out of the area? Plus I think they just like different things in Japan.
    I was thinking he would be great if he was introduced as a friend of Mickey's during an episode of the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or something. His target audience in the States is not going to be the tween market. I see most of his sales coming from children and adults. In Japan his target audience leans more towards teens and young adults. To the western world he needs to be marketed to the Winnie the Pooh fanbase. Duffy is a good quality product that will appeal to many because he's cute. People don't know who he is but thats a poor reflection in my opinion on the marketing job done up to now. Disney Parks havn't done enough to raise his profile at DCA. If more people were seen walking around the park with Duffy it would raise awareness. People would be asking who Duffy is?

This coming from a CM that actually works Treasure, I will have to say Duffy is FAR from a failure! Malin is right in believing the online community is exaggerating his loneliness. He's not a HUGE hit like he is in Japan, but do you really expect that kind of success that quickly without any promotion? For what they are doing and very minimal advertising, Duffy is selling pretty well! And it's not just Japanese guests, I see locals buying him too! And tourists!
    Thanks for the response. Reading some of the comments it does seem like several would take great pleasure in seeing his demise. Lots of negative comments about Duffy but it seems to only address what people think of the Bear and not so much how the product is actually selling. I think we have to look at the bigger picture for a second. He's only available at DCA and inside the one store. From your first hand report and other previous Cast Members comments, it has all pointed towards a more balance outlook. Which is most welcome in my view.

They NEED to have better costumes! The costumes we have are CRAP! So much so that I just spend more money to have outfits sent to me from Japan. At first I hated the fact of the 12" holiday ones, but they are actually REALLY cute! Especially the new Valentines one.
    I agree about the costumes. And comments in this thread point towards people who would usually buy the costumes either paying extra and recieving them from Japan. Or buying costumes from the Build A Bear Store. Are the 12 inch Valentine Bears already out to purchase. Does anyone have a picture? I can really see the 12 inch lines being very popular since this seems to be a US only product.

Internally, he hasn't been successful enough. It's kind of a sad joke at this point.
    If things don't (drastically) change soon, Duffy will almost completely disappear within the coming months.
    Exactly how popular were Disney expecting it to be with only one location selling the product. The marketing has been very poor up to now. Since many still don't know or care as to who is Duffy. The only sad joke I see is the job the Disneyland Resort has done in pushing Duffy out to park Guests. And I often wonder if Disneyland has any interest at all in making Duffy a suscess. And are only selling the product because WDW are so keen to make money out of it. You know the one Disney park rule. I don't see how it can be such a disapointment when Disney has made such a poor effort in launching the product. And surely its a higher vauled item compared to all that vinylmation that I have never seen anyone buy.

• Sock Puppet

I love Duffy. When I first went, I figured he was a marketing ploy to get people to buy super expensive teddy bears, a la Build-A-Bear. But then I really liked taking pics with the bear. He throws kisses, loves to hug and because there are so little people (sadly) he gives the individuals extra attention. Although I wouldn't buy a 30 dollar teddy bear, I really like the character being there.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I posted this question in the Tokyo section. But I'm thinking someone on this section will probarely know the answer and can post a reply a bit quicker. Can anyone tell me who around here I need to write to with a suggestion for a new sub forum for Duffy the Disney Bear. At the moment I feel we could really do with Duffy having his own area away from the other Disney park stuff. I see both Pin Trading and Vinylmation stuff both have sub forums already. I think it would be great for Duffy Fans from all around the world to have a forum where we could become united and share pictures and discuss costume releases and various other matters that are important to the Duffy fanbase without having to hijack the Disneyland Resort section or any other park section.

So I would be interested to know who is the right member/s to put this idea forward too for consideration.

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

I think they would've had a lot more success with the concept of selling multiple outfits for specific plush figures if those plush figures had, instead, been Mickey and Minnie.

I know Mickey and Minnie plushes are already readily available, but what about a specific size plush with a huge assortment of possible outfits based on different hobbies, occupations, nationalties, attractions, etc.? I imagine these would sell a lot better than the outfits for the fairly generic bear. I don't even care about plushese and I'll take the Scottish and Jungle Cruise outfits, thanks.

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    I posted this question in the Tokyo section. But I'm thinking someone on this section will probarely know the answer and can post a reply a bit quicker. Can anyone tell me who around here I need to write to with a suggestion for a new sub forum for Duffy the Disney Bear. At the moment I feel we could really do with Duffy having his own area away from the other Disney park stuff. I see both Pin Trading and Vinylmation stuff both have sub forums already. I think it would be great for Duffy Fans from all around the world to have a forum where we could become united and share pictures and discuss costume releases and various other matters that are important to the Duffy fanbase without having to hijack the Disneyland Resort section or any other park section.

So I would be interested to know who is the right member/s to put this idea forward too for consideration.
    I would be up for it. I became a fan of Duffy on the first weekennd he was at the DLR.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

I was there in early November and had a conversation with a very nice CM about the Duffy introduction. She indicated that the early sales were in-line with expectations (and she was acutely aware of the Duffy skepticism on this board). If Duffy sales are truly meeting their quota, then maybe no one at DCA was expecting this to be a monster hit right off the bat.

• Awaken the spirits

Who the heck is Duffy? No really, I'm serious. From flylikeadove22's post I can see that he's some bear character but... who is he?

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Madame_Leota View Post
    Who the heck is Duffy? No really, I'm serious. From flylikeadove22's post I can see that he's some bear character but... who is he?
    I am with Madame L. I have no idea who Duffy is so why would I want to buy his merchnadise at resort prices as opposed to actual famous Disney character Merchandise? Why would I want to meet him, line or not? The majority of other characters have a "purpose" for lack of a better term. They are Disney "stars" from their feature films and from the cartoons, some stretching way back through the decades. Based on the little I have seen about him here, Duffy appears to be little more than a bear in a sailor suit created for the DT and DHK parks that they are now trying to sell to DCA crowd. There isn't much of a reason for anyone to be interested in him. You ask almost any kid anywhere who Mickey Mouse is or Donald, or Goofy and they know, even if they have never been to Disneyland or Disneyworld. You ask even Disney fanatic kids like mine who Duffy is and the answer is "who?" So, with no real reason for him being, other than a money grabbing marketing attempt, I don't see him catching on here.

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    Duffy just seems the the most transparent attempt at shilling merch ever. Like there was a brainstorming session that got lazy and someone just said "How about a Teddy Bear that really isn't any different then any other Teddy Bear out there, and we will make up some BS about it being Mickey's? That way we can charge more for it"
    I couldn't agree more. I laughed out loud when I first heard about this gimmick.

• Banned User

I LOVE carrying around my Duffy every time I visit the parks! And I always get intriguing looks and guests even ask who he is and where to get him. I think the core to his success will be word of mouth. And I believe thats what DisneyParks is actually trying to do. They are too lazy to promote him that they want us, the fans, to promote him on boards like this and to our friends. It would work to an extent, but he needs more exposure! So every time I go I always carry him around just to promote him! He needs the love. Yes, he's a marketing scheme, but what he stands from and his roots in Japan really give it that sentimental feeling that I love! I don't know why people HATE so much on this forum. He's a cute lovable bear! Give him a chance!

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    I LOVE carrying around my Duffy every time I visit the parks! And I always get intriguing looks and guests even ask who he is and where to get him. I think the core to his success will be word of mouth. And I believe thats what DisneyParks is actually trying to do. They are too lazy to promote him that they want us, the fans, to promote him on boards like this and to our friends. It would work to an extent, but he needs more exposure! So every time I go I always carry him around just to promote him! He needs the love. Yes, he's a marketing scheme, but what he stands from and his roots in Japan really give it that sentimental feeling that I love! I don't know why people HATE so much on this forum. He's a cute lovable bear! Give him a chance!
    I honestly think I sold about 20 from parents asking where I got him with their children looking at Duffy in the background.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    Yes, he's a marketing scheme, but what he stands from and his roots in Japan really give it that sentimental feeling that I love! I don't know why people HATE so much on this forum. He's a cute lovable bear! Give him a chance!
    The thing is - he actually debuted and failed at WDW in 2002 - he was originally just called "The Disney Bear". He came in three different colors and was dressed in a few different outfits. When he wasn't selling, marketing sent him to Japan and titled him 'Duffy' where he took off. So, with his success in the Asian markets, they expect him to catch on here, which isn't going too well.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Just because Micechat members haven't SEEN Duffy with a line, doesn't mean it's not there when you are not. When I went Saturday and yesterday. The line went through the line and down onto the bridge a little bit. He DOES get lines and he IS getting more popular with the public.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast