Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 131
  1. #46

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,722

    Re: How popular is Duffy at Disney California Adventure?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ummmmm, No View Post
    The thing is - he actually debuted and failed at WDW in 2002 - he was originally just called "The Disney Bear". He came in three different colors and was dressed in a few different outfits. When he wasn't selling, marketing sent him to Japan and titled him 'Duffy' where he took off. So, with his success in the Asian markets, they expect him to catch on here, which isn't going too well.
    I meant the sentimental meaning from Japan. I just love how popular he is there and how he is treated. It gives me a taste of their culture.

  2. #47

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    619

    Re: How popular is Duffy at Disney California Adventure?

    Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    I meant the sentimental meaning from Japan. I just love how popular he is there and how he is treated. It gives me a taste of their culture.
    What sentimental meaning? He's a marketing ploy.

  3. #48

    • One in a Million!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Buena Park, CA
    Posts
    65

    Re: How popular is Duffy at Disney California Adventure?

    When I passed by this past Sunday Duffy was all by his lonesome self, while a few feet away people were lined up to get their picture taken with Santa.

    If there's any truth to rumor in the other thread about Ghirardelli & the tortilla factory then Duffy should be the one handing out samples. His popularity would skyrocket!
    The AP from 7734
    feels that his siestas are getting chorter & chorter

    Best BLAB score: 1,482,900
    Best TSMM score: 217,400


    BREAK YO'SELF, FOO!

  4. #49

    • Adventures with Duffy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too far from TDR :(
    Posts
    1,128

    Re: How popular is Duffy at Disney California Adventure?

    I like that Duffy is at DCA. I wish he would take off better then he seems to be, but I do think Disney hasn't done enough to make him known in the states. In Japan, something just needs to be cute and it has a likely hood of being bought and being popular. The states its not that way. We need a story, why is Duffy a Disney character and so on. With out that, I think Duffy will fail and that will be sad. I remember when the Disney Bears came out and I remember thinking what is this and why should I buy it and at Disney high prices?

    Why I like my Duffy bear so much is because my trip to Japan was a dream come true. I wasn't sure I would ever get there and when I did, it was like WOW these parks are amazing! (I have grown up at DL, been to Disney Pairs and WDW, so Ive seen other Disney Resorts) Duffy is done so well in Japan, because they made him a home in Cape Cod. He has a store that is just for him and he has amazing costumes. Why we don't get the same costumes here may contribute to the fail or Duffy, if he falls. Duffy is so loved in Japan, you want to be a part of it. Which Im not sure how they can create that here. I hope that Disney tries different things before they just give up on him. He needs a movie or some sort, maybe its only played in DCA and Epcot. He needs a storyline that ties him into Mickey more. I also think they should do two lines of costumes. I understand keeping things on the cheaper side. Its sad when Build a Bear clothing is nicer. If they had a more expensive clothing line, ie the costumes they sell in Japan. That would give guest options. I think Disney may surprise themselves when the pricier line sells. Adults collect many things and this could be one of them. I mean who though Pin trading would be as big as it is? Its a pricey hobby IMO. But people love it and that is great.

  5. #50

    • MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Temple of the Forbidden Eye
    Posts
    13,759
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: How popular is Duffy at Disney California Adventure?

    Personally, I think Duffy is VERY cute. But he has absolutely no connection to the Disney audience. He is not a beloved character from the films or TV. He doesn't have a history in the parks. It should not be a surprise that he isn't doing well in the US parks. We would LOVE to see Duffy do well and NEVER want the parks to fail. But Duff IS a failure here. If he couldn't sell well at Christmas then he isn't going to take off at all. And Disney knows that as well.

    He will likely continue to be a Japanese phenomenon.
    Find us on Facebook:

    .

    How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,



  6. #51

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,722

    Re: How popular is Duffy at Disney California Adventure?

    Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    I like that Duffy is at DCA. I wish he would take off better then he seems to be, but I do think Disney hasn't done enough to make him known in the states. In Japan, something just needs to be cute and it has a likely hood of being bought and being popular. The states its not that way. We need a story, why is Duffy a Disney character and so on. With out that, I think Duffy will fail and that will be sad. I remember when the Disney Bears came out and I remember thinking what is this and why should I buy it and at Disney high prices?

    Why I like my Duffy bear so much is because my trip to Japan was a dream come true. I wasn't sure I would ever get there and when I did, it was like WOW these parks are amazing! (I have grown up at DL, been to Disney Pairs and WDW, so Ive seen other Disney Resorts) Duffy is done so well in Japan, because they made him a home in Cape Cod. He has a store that is just for him and he has amazing costumes. Why we don't get the same costumes here may contribute to the fail or Duffy, if he falls. Duffy is so loved in Japan, you want to be a part of it. Which Im not sure how they can create that here. I hope that Disney tries different things before they just give up on him. He needs a movie or some sort, maybe its only played in DCA and Epcot. He needs a storyline that ties him into Mickey more. I also think they should do two lines of costumes. I understand keeping things on the cheaper side. Its sad when Build a Bear clothing is nicer. If they had a more expensive clothing line, ie the costumes they sell in Japan. That would give guest options. I think Disney may surprise themselves when the pricier line sells. Adults collect many things and this could be one of them. I mean who though Pin trading would be as big as it is? Its a pricey hobby IMO. But people love it and that is great.
    This! Disney needs to do this! I would happily spend more money for better costumes(which is what I'm sure other people like me are doing by just getting it from japan) I love Duffy so much because he gives me something to look forward to when I finally go to Japan! He's a peice of that legacy! The lagacy Walt built and is much stronger over in Japan than here.

    If Disney really wants huge numbers they need to start implementing more. I am all for the Ghirdelli idea! Lol I think they need Mickey or Minnie with him at the photo op so people are more enticed to see what he is all about! But like I said earlier a crucial part of his success would be word of mouth, so to all Duffy fans out there hold your Duffy proudly in the parks to get word out!

  7. #52

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,382

    Re: How popular is Duffy at Disney California Adventure?

    They should call it, "Hello Duffy."
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  8. #53

    • He Gets The Job Done
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tustin
    Posts
    8,153
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How popular is Duffy at Disney California Adventure?

    Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    This! Disney needs to do this! I would happily spend more money for better costumes(which is what I'm sure other people like me are doing by just getting it from japan) I love Duffy so much because he gives me something to look forward to when I finally go to Japan! He's a peice of that legacy! The lagacy Walt built and is much stronger over in Japan than here.

    If Disney really wants huge numbers they need to start implementing more. I am all for the Ghirdelli idea! Lol I think they need Mickey or Minnie with him at the photo op so people are more enticed to see what he is all about! But like I said earlier a crucial part of his success would be word of mouth, so to all Duffy fans out there hold your Duffy proudly in the parks to get word out!
    Is that your duffy in that costume in your avatar? and if so. Where did you get the costume?


  9. #54

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    21

    Re: How popular is Duffy at Disney California Adventure?

    Sometimes pop-culture success is not a good way to judge financial success. Will Duffy become an all-out hit at DCA? I highly doubt it. Will Duffy raise the revenue at the stores that sell him? Probably. It probably cost them very little to bring the merch over from Japan and setup the Duffy queue. If the cost of doing that can raise revenues by some acceptable percent, then the bean counters might call him a success. I suspect that the Duffy introduction had more to do with revenue per square foot calculations than the desire to make him as popular as Mickey. (I could be totally wrong about this, but I’ve seen similar stuff happen in other industries.)

  10. #55

    • Knight that says Nee!!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    2,647

    Re: How popular is Duffy at Disney California Adventure?

    Gosh...I can't wait until they bring out a line of toys to compliment Duffy. I'm sure Donald needs a stuffed dog named "Barky" and Goofy can have a stuffed toy rabit named "Hippity" and they could sell liknesses of them in the stores and do M & G's for them in DCA!!!!! Duffy is just the tip of this cash cow! ALL the Disney characters could have their own stuffed toy side kicks that in turn could be turned into collectible toys and characters in the park for M&G...and judging by this thread, there are plenty of folks out there who would shell out money for them. Go Disney marketers go!

  11. #56

    • He Gets The Job Done
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tustin
    Posts
    8,153
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How popular is Duffy at Disney California Adventure?

    Apparently someone hasn't read the story -_-


  12. #57

    • Metal Head loves Disney
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Grid
    Posts
    1,675

    Re: How popular is Duffy at Disney California Adventure?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    Apparently someone hasn't read the story -_-
    Most recent Disney trip - 06/25/11

    Marketing Manger of InCinderated Enterprises
    Last Man Standing in the M&F Parking Lot of the RCMC

  13. #58

    • Knight that says Nee!!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    2,647

    Re: How popular is Duffy at Disney California Adventure?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    Apparently someone hasn't read the story -_-
    I think that drives the point of this thread home right there. What story? I am a huge Disney fan. Been to DLR 6 times this year with another visit coming up in a couple of weeks despite living 7 hours away by car and I have seen no Duffy nor a Duffy "story". I visit various Disney related sites both official company sites and ones like MC...never seen a Duffy "story."

    So as to the topic of the thread...Duffy (IMO) doesn't appear to be popular because for even many of the more fanitical fans, let a lone the casual park visitor, he is an unknown who appears to be nothing more than a shameless attempt to sell a common Teddy Bear at inflated prices because he is possibly maybe kinda sort of related/attached to a Disney character. Apparently their "word of mouth" marketing ploy isn't spreading as well as they'd hoped. It's cool that you like the character and buy the stuff, power to you, free country and all that, but since the thread is about if he is popular or not, I say he doesn't seem to be...otherwise I would think I would have seen him around or at least know more about him by now.

  14. #59

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,722

    Re: How popular is Duffy at Disney California Adventure?

    ^They have his story out in front of the Meet and Greet and ask ANY CM and they will know the story of Duffy.

  15. #60

    • Metal Head loves Disney
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Grid
    Posts
    1,675

    Re: How popular is Duffy at Disney California Adventure?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    I think that drives the point of this thread home right there. What story? I am a huge Disney fan. Been to DLR 6 times this year with another visit coming up in a couple of weeks despite living 7 hours away by car and I have seen no Duffy nor a Duffy "story". I visit various Disney related sites both official company sites and ones like MC...never seen a Duffy "story."

    So as to the topic of the thread...Duffy (IMO) doesn't appear to be popular because for even many of the more fanitical fans, let a lone the casual park visitor, he is an unknown who appears to be nothing more than a shameless attempt to sell a common Teddy Bear at inflated prices because he is possibly maybe kinda sort of related/attached to a Disney character. Apparently their "word of mouth" marketing ploy isn't spreading as well as they'd hoped. It's cool that you like the character and buy the stuff, power to you, free country and all that, but since the thread is about if he is popular or not, I say he doesn't seem to be...otherwise I would think I would have seen him around or at least know more about him by now.
    There were a few threads about him when he first came out, not major but there are people out there who are interested in him. As for a common bear? There's hidden Mickey's all over this guy, I don't recall seeing other common bears out there with hidden Mickey's on them, especially the hidden Mickey birth mark. His story is posted where his meet and greet is, and each Duffy even comes with a story book of who he is.
    Most recent Disney trip - 06/25/11

    Marketing Manger of InCinderated Enterprises
    Last Man Standing in the M&F Parking Lot of the RCMC

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [News] Disney California Adventure Project Tracker X
    By MasterGracey in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 9944
    Last Post: 01-26-2011, 06:12 PM
  2. Replies: 404
    Last Post: 01-14-2011, 04:50 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •