Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re: How popular is Duffy at Disney California Adventure?

If someone wants to know how popular Duff is, how about a poll. That would give a better idea of exactly how many people are Duff fans and how many could care less about the bear. Frankly, I'd much rather they bring Humphrey Bear, as he is one of the very few Disney toons that got their own logo at the front of a Disney Cartoon. And of course, the Country Bears have proved themselves very popular as meet and greet characters, the few times that they have appeared since Pressler destroyed their home in Critter country. THOSE bears already have built in appeal and highly recognizable Disney Parks.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    If someone wants to know how popular Duff is, how about a poll. That would give a better idea of exactly how many people are Duff fans and how many could care less about the bear.
    Because .1% of the worlds population really makes up for allllllllllllll the fans and haters of Duffy

• Banned User

I really don't get all the hate for Duffy and seriously posting things like "be happy with your bear" and "live your life" is a personal insult. Please, I could care less what other people think, but if you have something bad to say, just say it out loud instead of trying to sound like your better than us. I'm done posting here. I propose a separate Duffy forum like Malin suggested so we Duffy fans can discuss him without scrutiny from other people.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    I really don't get all the hate for Duffy and seriously posting things like "be happy with your bear" and "live your life" is a personal insult. Please, I could care less what other people think, but if you have something bad to say, just say it out loud instead of trying to sound like your better than us.
    I'm pretty sure most who dislike Duffy have made their valid points - whether you choose to listen is another story.

• Minion

"Until a character becomes a personality it cannot be believed. Without personality, the character may do funny or interesting things, but unless people are able to identify themselves with the character, its actions will seem unreal. And without personality, a story cannot ring true to the audience." -- Walt Disney

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    I really don't get all the hate for Duffy and seriously posting things like "be happy with your bear" and "live your life" is a personal insult. Please, I could care less what other people think, but if you have something bad to say, just say it out loud instead of trying to sound like your better than us. I'm done posting here. I propose a separate Duffy forum like Malin suggested so we Duffy fans can discuss him without scrutiny from other people.
    You're not really trying to understand us. I think no matter what anyone says, you will take it as an insult. "Live and let live" is a personal insult?
    I'm beginning to wonder what kind of toxic chemicals the Chinese child-slaves are putting into Duffy that would cause such an outburst.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

If Disney wants to save Duffy, they need to do the following:

1) Create a comic book series which features Mickey and his bear (or some sort of TV special or webisodes)
    2) Create a very limited edition line of high quality outfits and accessories for Duffy
    3) Offer all passholders a coupon for a free bear (just the bear with no accessories). Once the passholders get their basic free bear they'll want outfits and accessories which will jump-start his collectability.
    4) Once enough bears have been sold, start holding special merchandise events for Duffy which offer stage productions featuring the character as well as introducing new characters and event specific merchandise.
    5) Create a Duffy web site which offers interactive games and stories about Duffy and his pals.
    6) sell a book which tells the story of how Duffy came into existence and how he became Mickey's best friend (and offer the book VERY inexpensively). Get the Duffy story into everyone's mind by making it affordable for everyone to obtain.
    7) STOP overpromoting him in the parks. Having an overabundance of Duffy available at this time (of limited demand) creates a sense of failure. Instead, make Duffy much more difficult to get ahold of and a special commodity item. Create a sense of demand and a desire to obtain.

In short, Duffy is adorable but lacking an emotional connection to Disney fans. Create that connection first and THEN begin a thoughtful campaign of unraveling the story of the character and the merchandise which goes along with it.

For example. The story begins with how Duffy is created. Folks start buy basic Duffy. Then the story goes on to talk about Duffy's travels one location at a time. As Disney tells the tale of each new location (via comic book, TV specials, online webisodes, etc) a very limited line of outfits and accessories is released. Always make sure that too few of any given item are produced (you can always make more later) so that demand is always higher than supply.

Duffy CAN be a success, but not by blindly assuming that fans will snap something up simply because Disney is producing it.

-Dusty the MiceChat bear
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Minion FOREVER!

Dusty,

You've "hit it right on the nail"!

I think all the you suggest above would make a huge difference.

In addition, I would suggest a photo site where people could upload their pictures of Duffy in locations around the world.

If I was WDC, I would then display codes that would entitle the submitter to various different items (esp. exclusive clothing) depending on the location in the picture.... e.g. picture of statue of liberty, then a liberty themed clothing. Yeah, takes an army of people OR really smart object recognition software. That would really make Duffy unique and give it a "Wow!" factor. They could really make that an alternative social media site if they're creative.

• Minion FOREVER!

One other thing that would help a lot is to feature some young star (Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, Jesse McCartney, etc) with him in a video like this one for HKDL. Probably should have done that in this year's Christmas special. (Of course, maybe WDC did do that.... just don't know yet!)

YouTube - G.E.M

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Well they do have Duffy on the opening float for the parade... We will see how much that helps.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    Well they do have Duffy on the opening float for the parade... We will see how much that helps.
    Wasn't that just for the televised parade? Videos on YouTube this year show the same bear as previous years on the float.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    They could really make that an alternative social media site if they're creative.
    merlinjones has already stated, in Walt's words, that they're not creative.
    "Here's a bear. You give him a personality. You dress him up. You take pictures of him. We'd like to help, but we're expecting a lot of money to pour in, and we have to count it."

I heard that Miley made a bong out of her Duffy.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Disney Fan & Musician

Duffy was fairly popular when I was at the parks yesterday! Not outstandingly popular, but it even took a couple years in Tokyo to get big. Once the TV special debuts, I'm sure there will be a boost in popularity.

Also, they've been making their quotas on bears. Sure, the quota isn't very big, but they've been selling quite enough.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    Wasn't that just for the televised parade? Videos on YouTube this year show the same bear as previous years on the float.
    Yes it is the same bear on the daily parade float. I forgot to quote the person above me stating that Duffy is on the Opening Float for the Christmas Day Parade.

• Metal Head loves Disney

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    merlinjones has already stated, in Walt's words, that they're not creative.
    "Here's a bear. You give him a personality. You dress him up. You take pictures of him. We'd like to help, but we're expecting a lot of money to pour in, and we have to count it."

I heard that Miley made a bong out of her Duffy.
    Yeah, cause it's a given fact that pot heads love Duffy. Now you see why other members take your comments as an insult?
    Most recent Disney trip - 06/25/11

Marketing Manger of InCinderated Enterprises
    Last Man Standing in the M&F Parking Lot of the RCMC

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast