Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

How popular is Duffy at Disney California Adventure?

I'm kind of curious after reading some rather negative feedback including in the recent In The Parks update about how suscessful Duffy has been since making his debut in the States. While I have tried to keep an open mind to the response because of the negative comments that people shared when he was first annouced. And knowing full well that there are several Members who would love to see Duffy fail in the States. I have to take everything I read with a pinch of salt and question if some are deliberately trying to downplay his suscess or if there is truth to the reports shown on MiceAge in Al Lutz and In The Park Articles.

I would be really interested in reading first hand reports from Guests visiting Disney California Adventure. Is his lack of popularity as bad as whats been made out online. Or have the reports been slightly exaggerated. Also how is the merchandise selling. I know its been a hit with the Japanese visiting collecting items for friends and for bidding on Ebay. Are people purchasing the Bears and costumes?

I plan to post a similar topic in the WDW section to see how Guests in the Swamps have reacted so far to his debut. And if some of us Duffy fans should be concerned that there is a good chance his likeness will be removed anytime soon. I certainly hope not since for the most part, I view Duffy as a quality product and feel its a much nicer addition to the stores inside the parks than any of that vinylmation crap.

•   

Re: How popular is Duffy at Disney California Adventure?

Only with Japanese tourists.

Otherwise he's a walk-on.

• Minion

I was at DCA yesterday: CMs begging you to see Duffy = CMs begging you to ride Pooh

The merch sells IMO only because it's cute.
    Last edited by F!an; 12-11-2010 at 07:46 AM.

• Minion

double post

(it's been happening a lot lately ???)

• Future Indy Castmember

Meet and Greet: Not as successful as they hope. Lines could occur once the holiday crowds roll in next week. They should have Mickey there too in order to draw people to Duffy.

Merch wise: Kind of slowed down a bit, but people are buying Duffys. One time that I was at Treasures looking at the different clothes for the 17 inch Duffys (I do own a 17 inch Duffy) when this family came by. The mother (I presumed) proceeded into getting I believe 20-25 of the New Years Duffys. Duffy sales could go up again as APs and CMs look for christmas presents. Thats my theory though.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Banned User

Only with Japanese tourists.

Otherwise he's a walk-on.
    Thats a shame to see although for the average Disney fan I can appreciate that several know nothing about the Bear. And most of his backstory is featured in the queue area.

I was at DCA yesterday: CMs begging you to see Duffy = CMs begging you to ride Pooh

The merch sells IMO only because it's cute.
    Interesting so it seems Duffy as a walk around character doesn't have much appeal. But people are still into the merchandise.

Meet and Greet: Not as successful as they hope. Lines could occur once the holiday crowds roll in next week. They should have Mickey there too in order to draw people to Duffy.
    It does seem like something needs to be done in order for the audience to fall in love with Duffy. What Disney seems to have done up to now doesn't appear to be working. A mickey and Duffy photo location like you say would draw people to him via Mickey.

Merch wise: Kind of slowed down a bit, but people are buying Duffys. One time that I was at Treasures looking at the different clothes for the 17 inch Duffys (I do own a 17 inch Duffy) when this family came by. The mother (I presumed) proceeded into getting I believe 20-25 of the New Years Duffys. Duffy sales could go up again as APs and CMs look for christmas presents. Thats my theory though.
    A big reason Duffy sales are so good in Tokyo is because of the frequent costume releases. I'm not sure how Disney is handling the costume releases but it really needs to support all new merchandise releases or Guests may not realise new lines are available to purchase. Disneyland like Tokyo Disneyland depends on repeat Guests much more than say WDW for instance. Could the reason for the slump in sales be because of a lack of newer merchandise?

Interesting theory on Christmas sales and its one avenue I think Disney should be pushing hard. Anyway feeling rather positive to read that Duffy merchandise up to now does seem to be selling.

• Banned User

Duffy was implemented horribly compared to Hong Kong Disneyland. Hong Kong Disneyland jump started him with TV Ads, and continued to weave him into the Holiday theme. He is also a major part of the Christmas lighting ceremony.

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Thats a shame to see although for the average Disney fan I can appreciate that several know nothing about the Bear. And most of his backstory is featured in the queue area.

Interesting so it seems Duffy as a walk around character doesn't have much appeal. But people are still into the merchandise.

It does seem like something needs to be done in order for the audience to fall in love with Duffy. What Disney seems to have done up to now doesn't appear to be working. A mickey and Duffy photo location like you say would draw people to him via Mickey.

A big reason Duffy sales are so good in Tokyo is because of the frequent costume releases. I'm not sure how Disney is handling the costume releases but it really needs to support all new merchandise releases or Guests may not realise new lines are available to purchase. Disneyland like Tokyo Disneyland depends on repeat Guests much more than say WDW for instance. Could the reason for the slump in sales be because of a lack of newer merchandise?

Interesting theory on Christmas sales and its one avenue I think Disney should be pushing hard. Anyway feeling rather positive to read that Duffy merchandise up to now does seem to be selling.

i totally agree with what you said about costumes they need to do costume releases and make them limited likethey do at Tokyo, the more limited they are = the more people want them

coming from a CM who works at a restaurant in DCA, i see more and more people gradually embracing?recognizing dufffy
    examples:
    *LOTS of people wearing "i hugged duffy stickers"
    *more and more people are buying the Duffy balloons
    *our kid's menu at the restaurant is duffy themed and more kids are like" DUFFY!!!" excitedly, when they see them
    * went to buildabear to buy duffy a christmas outfit (disney doesnt have one, again with the merchandise) and got a family that asked "so these clothes fit duffy? good to know cuz we just bought 2!"
    *seeing people of all ages starting to carry duffy, saw a 5 year old with their my first duffy to (the cutest thing ever) a 70 year old women holding her husbands' hand and in the other hand was her duffy with the sailor outfit

those are my observations so far =)

• Minion

i love Duffy hes my favorite character i like how theirs never a line cause u get one on one time longer then other characters and take many pics with different poses but every time we walked by him their was no line so i guess hes not the popular or successful but i do hope he stays

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flylikadove22 View Post
    * went to buildabear to buy duffy a christmas outfit (disney doesnt have one, again with the merchandise) and got a family that asked "so these clothes fit duffy? good to know cuz we just bought 2!"
    They have a duffy in a christmas outfit at the DCA store. :P

It's a music Celebration
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

• Banned User

Duffy was implemented horribly compared to Hong Kong Disneyland. Hong Kong Disneyland jump started him with TV Ads, and continued to weave him into the Holiday theme. He is also a major part of the Christmas lighting ceremony.
    I can't agree with you more. Hong Kong Disneyland has up to now done an outstanding job in launching Duffy. Also the park is taking costume designs from the Tokyo parks which are usually a much better standard than the current costumes selling in DCA and Epcot. The only upside to the merchandise sold in the US Parks is a cheaper price and the 12 inch Duffy's which are very cute. I just wished the costumes were consistant. That 2011 Duffy is very

not a seperate outfit for the 17 inch bear though,only a small 12 inch duffy with the xmas outfit =( i already have a duffy and he wants xmas outfit! =)

• Banned User

coming from a CM who works at a restaurant in DCA, i see more and more people gradually embracing?recognizing dufffy
    examples:
    *LOTS of people wearing "i hugged duffy stickers"
    *more and more people are buying the Duffy balloons
    *our kid's menu at the restaurant is duffy themed and more kids are like" DUFFY!!!" excitedly, when they see them
    *seeing people of all ages starting to carry duffy, saw a 5 year old with their my first duffy to (the cutest thing ever) a 70 year old women holding her husbands' hand and in the other hand was her duffy with the sailor outfit

Great observations. And I'm starting to realise maybe we expecting to much to soon. Going back to the old days in Tokyo before he became a hit. Duffy start was a slow one. It took time for word to get out. Hearing about Guests between the ages of 5 year olds to 70 year olds walking around with Duffy's is a step in the right direction. How many more people will accept and want a Duffy once seeing other people walking around with them. Thanks for sharing.

• Banned User

Duffy just seems the the most transparent attempt at shilling merch ever. Like there was a brainstorming session that got lazy and someone just said "How about a Teddy Bear that really isn't any different then any other Teddy Bear out there, and we will make up some BS about it being Mickey's? That way we can charge more for it"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

The duff clothes are cheap quality here. On the other hand Build a Bear in DTD has a much wider selection of clothes, and they often will add new clothes, in much higher quality. PLUS you have the choice of selecting your own critter, stuffing it, adding a heart and a wish, fluffing it, and dressing it exactly as you want, naming it, and giving it a birth certificate. It a much more personal experience for the kids (yeah, and adults) than duff bear. Disney's delivery of this twice born bear has failed for a 2nd time.

And THAT is only the beginning of the reasons why this thing failed again, other reasons have been repeated over and over again in the other Duff topics and reports.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast