Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Seasick

Re: Winnie the Pooh ride: What's with the haters? lol

I enjoy it for what it is, a cute little dark ride that never has a wait. I was never a huge fan of the Country Bears, so I can't say their closure affects my personal view of the ride.

The obvious reason I, as do many, consider it a disappointment is that prior to its' opening, other Disney parks already had superior Winnie the Pooh rides. As someone who has been to Florida and Tokyo, this ride feels like such a letdown in comparison. Hunny Hunt is amongst the best Disney attractions in existence, while Pooh at DL is average at best.

It's disheartening to see Disney take a step backwards when it comes to cloning attractions. Just as it is appalling they built a POTC in WDW that is inferior to the original, it is disheartening to see Disney build a Pooh ride that is inferior to what came before.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    The "It's Better Than Six Flags" defense.

What you are unable to understand, as shown by your ad hominem dismissal of others' opinions as "just nostalgia," is that others are arguing for Disneyland to maintain higher entertainment standards: the standards on which Disneyland built its fame.

Your argument is that the standards of today's Disney Corporation is good enough, and that complaining about it is unjustified. There are many Disney customers who share your view. For the many who disagree, your argument that their complaints are "just nostalgia" is unlikely to be convincing.
    I didn't mean to dismiss others opinions in one broad stroke... just that I must have missed the topics that went into greater detail. Oftentimes I feel like I see a broad hating of pirates, Pixar, etc, without much else.

Cool Re: Winnie the Pooh ride: What's with the haters? lol

Well, now I definitely understand! (I'm the OP)

I do remember Country Bears from visits to DL as a kid. I loved it, and my father certainly passed on his feelings of magical nostalgia to my brother and I. I didn't originally know that Winnie took the place of Country Bears, and I have to admit that Country Bears does seem much more true to that area than Winnie does. If Winnie the pooh had stayed more true to the classic style of previous incarnations of that location, then there would be wider acceptance from the loyal locals.

Also, I can see that, given Disney's vast wealth, resources, etc. It is a bit mind-boggling that the ride isn't more "amazing". Once a black light burns out, will you still be able to see Tigger's face in certain areas? lol...

I see it as a young child's ride. I choose to believe that the Imagineers meant it to be the way it is. My young children thought it was pure captivating magic, and that's enough for me.

There are many rides around the parks that are obviously NOT geared towards toddlers and babies. Give this one to the rugrats!

Thanks for the insight, everyone

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Quote Originally Posted by CanaDuh View Post
    I see it as a young child's ride. I choose to believe that the Imagineers meant it to be the way it is. My young children thought it was pure captivating magic, and that's enough for me.
    There are many rides around the parks that are obviously NOT geared towards toddlers and babies. Give this one to the rugrats!
    That's the problem. It's a young child's ride. Most of the attractions in Disneyland are meant to be for all ages, just as Walt intended. Even the Fantasyland rides are for all ages and can be enjoyed by adults. Pooh may be magic for toddlers, but most teens and adults don't really think the same after riding it.
    I wouldn't say that a lot of the rides are geared towards adults. AKA thrill rides. Disneyland has Indy, Splash, Big Thunder, Matterhorn, and Space. California Adventure has ToT, Screamin', Grizzly, and soon Radiator Springs Racers. 9 thrill rides and about 50 other calm rides I'm pretty sure we wouldn't need another.
    I just wish that Pooh would be updated to Hunny Hunt, so it could be for all ages and it would REALLY amaze kids.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

It's a cute little dark ride intended for children.
    -- noleafclover

You're dead if you aim only for kids.
    -- Walt Disney

My sentiments exactly. I like the idea behind Pooh, but have some major flaws with it:

1. Not Intimate Enough - The ride vehicles are HUGE. It's got a loading procedure the same as a coaster. The sets seem tiny compared to the massive beehives.

2. No leg room. So these vehicles are HUGE, yet I have no legroom in row 2 or 3. This just screams "we didn't design this than more for kids" problem that Disney seems to have.

3. Lack of AA figures. Everything is just a figure on a stick.

Pooh could have been an over-the-top great ride, but it was done on the cheap - and it shows.
    -Monorail Man

• "I Break Things"

Oh Pooh... so much that can be said, most of it negative. A while back I summed up the experience and you can still see people quoting it today

"It's storming, I'm tired, It's a drug trip, HAPPY BIRTHDAY"

If people wish to tie this horrific storytelling example of Pooh to the original dark rides like Mr Toad then so be it. The main thing that separates the attractions is time. To be specific... 50 years... 50 years of storytelling, 50 years of technology, 50 years of time. One is a tale of a wild ride. The other doesn't even make sense as a story, let alone as an attraction. I have small children who don't meet the height requirement for Splash. I have many times watched as parties of guests exit Pooh. The most common comments are those of confusion, wondering what exactly they just went through. There isn't even an attempt to connect one scene to another. Your mind races to find even the most remote ties from scene to scene, and then a speaker screams HAPPY BIRTHDAY at you. I've had better experiences at a Church carnival funhouse.

Some would go further, commenting on the relationship between Pooh and Critter Country. They will quickly point out that Critter Country is representative of the American South, and an English bear has no business in that land. I will take it a step further. Splash was designed to compliment CBJ both in appearance and in musical format. A LOT of planning went into the design and execution of Splash. WDI didn't want the neighborhood to be "jarring" as you walk across the street from one to the other. It was the late 1980's... but to be honest it was a tradition that started from the moment WDI started designing the park. Pooh doesn't match in theme, in musical choice, in execution... it was as if WDI read the "Cliff's Notes" on how to tell a story instead of using the five decades of experience they had built up.

There is another group of individuals who point to the near flawless execution of Tokyo. They rave about the attraction and point out that if the US Pooh wasn't done on the cheap then people wouldn't complain. If the budget had been there it may have been better... but there was never any intent on making it compliment the land it was placed in.

The sad thing is that the "fix" is actually simple. Had they overlayed a theme of "Pooh's Country Picnic"... and actually TRIED to explain why he was in that land... then the attraction would at least make more sense.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Disney Fan & Musician

It's no hunny hunt.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

I love the ride, but I wish it just wasn't so random. From blustery day to rainy day to dream sequence to birthday. It just doesn't make sense as a whole.

Also with the huge hunny tanks you ride in, it really makes for LESS show then the cars that you ride in for alice, snow white, pinocchio and toad. If they just used the ride system of those 4, you could fit a lot more in there and make the ride a lot longer and immerse you a bit more.

I would love WDW's version to come over to Disneyland, but have the bright neon colors that we have in ours to make ours unique from Florida and Hong Kong.

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    I would love WDW's version to come over to Disneyland, but have the bright neon colors that we have in ours to make ours unique from Florida and Hong Kong.
    Hong Kong's is exactly the same as ours. I would Tokyo's to come to ours more. Screw the bright neon colors, "trackless" technology, detailed scenes, and full A100 Animatronics are way better.

CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
    Hong Kong's is exactly the same as ours. I would Tokyo's to come to ours more. Screw the bright neon colors, "trackless" technology, detailed scenes, and full A100 Animatronics are way better.
    No. Hong Kong is exactly the same as Disney World's (unless of course by ours your referring to Magic Kingdom's?? )

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Hong Kong's is exactly the same as ours.
    No it's not.

"trackless" technology, detailed scenes, and full A100 Animatronics are way better.
    Of course they are way better, duh! But I would rather have something that would actually WORK in that small amount of space.

• Blew By You

With everything else said, we're still steamed that the PeopleMover was replaced in the first place, and replace with an attraction which lasted barely one summer and that the painful reminder of its tracks remain to this day and no official Disney folk has taken any responsibility to fix that problem. It's all bad show. That's the Disney which is responsible for the Winnie the Pooh attraction.

• Greetings, Program!

Poor attraction that replaced a classic one. That's about it.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Sorry, I meant to put WDW's but accidently put Disneyland's.

• Banned User

I wonder even if the TDL version was built here, if people would still gripe because it replaced CBJ, and didn't thematically fit anyway. It's hard to just flat out replace a classic attraction.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast