Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Disneyland, here I come at last!

So, after years of membership on this site.. Watching the 50th anniversary develop, staying up late to find the first video of the first preview of Remember Dreams Come True, being crazy obsessed with Disneyland from home in Canada.. I have booked my trip! January 17-21, Disneyland here I come!!

Remember Dreams Come True is still playing, I am so excited.. World Of Color... everything, I cannot wait.

I am taking my best friend as a Christmas gift as she can't afford it normally, I love her, and she has stuck by me thru thick and thin.. She has heard my harp about everything the parks offer, so I saw it as the most fitting gift I can give..

However, I do have a question now that the back story is done.

I have 5 days in the park, PLENTY of time to do everything.. However, What I want to know is about the little things. Can anyone give me a list of things to see, experience, do, that the normal tourist would not?! The Dapper Dans... details, dole whips.. anything and everything.. A restaurant to eat at? Special foods?!

I have one day to enjoy Splash Mountain and Small World before they close. Anything I should expect? I know DCA will be construction central.. Should I do the picnic deal for World of Color?? What are the best options.. Anything you can think of, please let me know! Oh, and I'm 19, so it cant involve bars sadly haha. I am legal in Canada.. America.. not so much!

Much Appreciated,

Disney Analyst (the Canadian who is coming HOME)

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Senior Minion

Re: Disneyland, here I come at last!

Congrats, how exciting. There are tons of threads with stuff like this, but here are a few. I would ride the Lilly Belle, just ask at MS station. Request the front row on Soarin' it's a much better experience. See the Snow White Grotto near the Castle. Walk the back path near Grizzly River. Ask for a map of the Jungle Cruise and a Death Certificate at Haunted Mansion. Look for the light in Walt's apartment over the firehouse. There are many more, but those are the ones that jumped to my mind.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Blog Entries

Thank you! Already that is fantastic!

~

• Shifting cargo

That's one amazing gift that you're giving. You two are no doubt going to have an amazing time and what with 5 days to enjoy the magic. Remember to pace yourself throughout the day. The first day is always the most exciting and it's tempting to speed through the day and ride anything and everything. You will be sore, tired, and most likely sleep-deprived (if you stay until closing and get up early for opening) and it will certainly take its toll.

Dole Whips and churros are must-eat snacks and lunch or dinner at Blue Bayou is a must. As for World of Color, the picnic meals are $15 and you get a free WOC bag with it as well. I recommend the lunch because you'll end up paying around $15 if not more for lunch on a regular basis and with the lunch deal, you get a lunch of your choice, a free bag, and a a reserved section. The dinner deal is a bit pricey for me.

Splash Mountain usually has a wait time of about 30-45 minutes on average depending on the weather. If it's raining it will no doubt have almost a zero wait time, but I recommend getting FastPasses. Small World never has a huge line. It's usually around a 10 minute wait.

DCA is indeed having a lot done to it and when you go they will be working on the front entrance areas of the park but the construction should not cause any serious set backs to your experience. You may have to take a short cut to a certain land if they are working on a particular section, but most of the construction is off and away from the crowds and behind refurb walls, just like your headline!

That's the advice that I have to offer. Just try and get as many Fastpasses throughout the day as you can. Fastpasses don't expire the day that you get them. As long as you use them after the time that it says you can come back, they're totally valid and you will find yourself practically walking onto rides.

"Well I don't know about you folks, but it's way past my bedtime."

• Tron <3 er

do they still have the jc maps or the hm death certificates? the latest i've seen anything on them was in 2009 so i was just curious if they still did this because i would absolutely love those...i always love eating the monte cristo and pomme frites at cafe orleans so that would be my recommendation...

Blog Entries

So the picnic deal is worth it?? What color section do they typically come with?!

~

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

It's a shame that you are missing the MiceChat 6th Anniversary by just about a week. Have a wonderful time. What am I saying? You are going to Disneyland, so of course you are going to have a wonderful time.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

Blog Entries

Oh I totally forgot! I should have made the dates then... oh well.. I will be there in spirit!

~

• Blew By You

If money is no object, get a priority seating at the Blue Bayou Restaurant.
    Also, get a good bench seat somewhere at one of the hubs of Main Street and rest and watch the people.
    Walk over to the lobby of the Grand Californian Hotel and sit by the fireplace. Get a coffee or soda and relax.

• Vidia's Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    So the picnic deal is worth it?? What color section do they typically come with?!
    Picnic deal is totally worth it imo. Never know about that pesky line for the WoC fast passes. I've gotten both Blue and Yellow tickets from the meals. I think the earlier you pick up the meal the better ticket you get.

• AKA: Indyiluvu

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    It is worth it IMO only if you will not be there in the morning to get a fastpass, or if you get a red fastpass. Not having to wait in the morning was the only benefit to me, as the chicken was not very good at all. (I did not finish my picnic) If you are going for the food, and can afford it, the sit down meals offer better food, and you get the best "seats" for WOC in the middle.
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST DLP TRIP - March 1997

FIRST WDW TRIP - May/June 2006

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

Best advice I can give is SLOW DOWN and enjoy. In 5 days you can ride everything multiple times. Don't rush to get to rides.

Some of the best times for the rides are during dinner and during the parades... or the last hour before they close.

• A Weather Eye Open

Here's something you should do... use the map as a "list"... check off each attraction as you do them so you don't miss anything.

also, perhaps one or two lands per day, explore all their pathways as thoroughly as possible so you don't miss small themeing details that may become your favorites; it doesn't take long, just a nice little stroll!

a good fact is that if something is not listed in the normal entertainment guide, like when and where the pearly band is going to be, for instance, a cast member can look up all those things on the special weekly guide THEY get. like, right now, i don't think the snow moments are listed in the normal guide because it's supposed to be like magical "weather", but the cast members can all look up when they are.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Blog Entries

Thanks for the replies! I wanted to revive this thread as my trip is coming up quickly.. We will be in the parks January 17-21... My question is how crowded do you think the 17th will be? They have full entertainment on for that Monday holiday. Any other tips, world of color? I want to create a check list of what to do:

Ride Lily Belle
    Blue Bayou
    Dole Whip
    Laughing Stock
    Wheel House?!?!

anything else?

~

• Bring back the Keelboats!

There is also a small pet cemetary on the side of the Haunted Mansion. If they are not too busy, a cast member can take you back there.

We got a Jungle Cruise map earlier this year, so be sure to ask at the desk on the left as you are leaving the boat. That's where the cast members wait for their next boat and the lead hangs out. The maps are there.

Try and get a seat in the front cab of the Monorail. Also, if they are not too busy and the engineer allows it, you can ride in the engine of one of the big steam trains.

Have a great trip! Sounds like you are excited and you are doing a wonderful thing for your friend!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast