Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Re: I Miss The Old Pirates "Evil Curses" dialogue/transition cave audio

I'll take the waterfall without the face, and with it darkened down a bit. One ironic note to make on what I'm hearing:

Pirates dark transition section:
    Was an amazing, creepy transition that set the stage for the ride and was classic.
    They wasted money putting the replacement in.
    Taking it out is an abomination to the original attraction and its designers.
    It was "the best part of the ride". (lol)

Indy dark transition section:
    Its wasted space that needs to be utilized, hopefully by a better mist projection.
    Its like they ran out of money.
    The designers really missed the mark here.
    Its the worst part of the ride

Now, don't get me wrong, but you know how I say Disney can't win?..
    Last edited by Trevor; 12-14-2010 at 08:49 PM.

• Minion

That dialogue was scary when I was a kid! Those voices were far more effective than a visual effect would be for the same show element. I cowered in the boat, certain that a pirate was going to jump down from the shadows into the boat at any second.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    A corporation that rakes in billions and pays its CEO tens of millions a year? A corporation that has turned Disneyland into a marketing mall with rides?

My heart bleeds.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Awaken the spirits

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    That and Black Beard. Those 2 things basically made the ride for me.
    THIS!! I don't care so much about the other additions, to two things that piss me off the most about the post-2006 version of the ride is the lack of the spooky voice in the dark tunnel, and the lack of Blackbeard (I know Barbossa says pretty much the same lines, but it's not the same to me).

Also, I don't like the fact that they changed all the dialogue to include Jack Sparrow. Such as, instead of "where be the treasure?" they say "where be Captain Jack Sparrow?" It's just annoying, and all I can hear in the ride is "blahblahblahJACKSPARROW"

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    A corporation that rakes in billions and pays its CEO tens of millions a year? A corporation that has turned Disneyland into a marketing mall with rides?

My heart bleeds.
    There are many different aspects to the company, but when it comes to dark hallways on attractions, they can't win. Better? Nobody is asking for sympathy, just some sort of reasonable expectation of them. Its amazing how often people want two things that prevent the other.
    Last edited by Trevor; 12-14-2010 at 09:08 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Not really sure where this relates? I mean, I get the dark tunnel correlation thing but as far as I know no one mentioned or brought up Indy in this thread. I miss the Pirates tunnel voice, and think it was a distinct non improvement to change it. Full stop...no relation to any portion of Indy.

Indy dark transition section:
    Its wasted space that needs to be utilized, hopefully by a better mist projection.
    Its like they ran out of money.
    The designers really missed the mark here.
    Its the worst part of the ride

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Yikes. Tough crowd tonight. As it turns out, I brought up Indy and it was relevant because both rides use/d a similar technique in their presentation and yet they received very different responses. Of course, if we wanted to keep this thread on track, we should only talk about how much the OP misses this section of Pirates. All other discussion is technically off topic.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Fair enough, with Indy, I wouldn't actually mind if it was only a dark tunnel and ominous sound effects myself, rather than a non-working projection. Not everything has to have decor, and in that case, if sound design was good and matched, having it just be dark would be fine with me. Apologies, did not mean to be all, you're off topic get out! Just didn't quite follow how the Indy thing came up. Thank for for clarifying.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Double Post
    Last edited by Seawolf; 12-14-2010 at 11:54 PM.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Yikes. Tough crowd tonight. As it turns out, I brought up Indy and it was relevant because both rides use/d a similar technique in their presentation and yet they received very different responses. Of course, if we wanted to keep this thread on track, we should only talk about how much the OP misses this section of Pirates. All other discussion is technically off topic.
    That's where I disagree, they are two very different techniques that aren't even comparable. Indy is a fast paced attraction where POTC is slow. The guest has a chance to take in all the scenes given to them on POTC and a break in the show is vital to a transition between the dead and the living. On Indy, scenery is presented briefly in a fast pace environment and doesn't let you take it all in. When that break is shown to us it's jarring because it seems unnatural for the application, we are expecting more scenery from the attraction considering its length.

Also to make things even more effective, POTC actually has themed rock caverns the entire duration while Indy has black painted walls, something that reinforces the belief that Imagineers ran out of money.

It was "the best part of the ride". (lol)
    Yes, it may not be your favorite part of the attraction but there are people including myself that loved this segment. I'm a artistic type of guy and can appreciate the genius behind this scene.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 12-15-2010 at 12:06 AM.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Where you see awkward black, I saw a break for the senses where the driver "froze" when his car plunged into darkness. Just like I would if I drove a jeep into a dark room in a booby-trapped, collapsing tunnel. I guess I'm just the artistic kind of guy who can appreciate the genius behind this scene.

I always wondered what the difference between veiled insults and blatant ones were.

• Who are you again?

I really don't like the Refurb The two times I went on it, some kid had to stand up to touch the 'waterfall' or yell out 'Look mommy! It's Jawk Spare-row'. or something else that ruined the ride for everyone else on the boat. I'm listening to the soundtrack for the ride I got in 2007 and hearing the 'Ghostly Voices' as it's called. It sounds a lot better then just silence, then out of nowhere (like Ninjas) Davey Jones' head on a waterfall comes out of nowhere.

even if I had no chance to hear the old dialogue, I still want it back

"No fear have ye of evil curses says you, ah....Properly warned ye be says I."
    Hello? I seem to be in some sort of inter dimensional dimension with no way in or out....Send Help! and Pie! pumpkin peferably

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I would go to the Halloween Event if they had Pirates put into its old Audio......so much better

The cave dialogue was even referenced in the films.

In POTC1,
    "Leverage, says you. I think I feel a change in the wind, says I." -Gibbs

In POTC3,
    "You may not survive to pass this way again and these be the last friendly words you'll hear." -Barbossa

And of course the whole cursed treasure idea in the first movie originated from the cave dialogue. Silly new Imagineers...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234