Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast

• AKA: Indyiluvu

Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by Down with the Tide View Post
    Having attractions with film and movie elements doesn't make DCA a "Studio Park"
    If that were the case then Disneyland is a studio park as well.
    This
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST DLP TRIP - March 1997

FIRST WDW TRIP - May/June 2006

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

• Minion

Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

Having attractions with film and movie elements doesn't make DCA a "Studio Park"
    Exactly! Also Ride Warrior you never answered this so i re quoted it

Quote Originally Posted by Dlandclub33 View Post
    And How is Grizzly Peak and Condor Flats getting rethemed to Yosemite a fact that DCA's ditching the California theme? Yosemite is an iconic symbol of California! I'm confused on your logic. Please inform me.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Ummmmm, No View Post
    Exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Joe View Post
    This
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlandclub33 View Post
    Exactly! Also Ride Warrior you never answered this so i re quoted it
    Gee...thanks, Dlandclub. that's pretty thoughtful.

Don't mean to burst the bubbles of the four of you, but,Disneyland is a studios based park. The mother park was financed to a significant extent by the profits generated from Walt's movie film enterprises. Most of it's attractions have been movie related. Over the years, one of the main things that guests have seen while entering the park is movie posters. In spite of the fact that the word "studios" would have worked quite well back in 1955, the old girl was the first theme park in the world and Walt chose a Neverland fantasy type of moniker, inserting his own commercial name into what America and the world have come to know an love as Disneyland. Digressing, as Dusty has related, a theme park such as D(C?)A doesn't have to even include the word "studios" in it's title to be considered a studios park.

I understand that you four don't care for studios based parks, and it may also be true that most or all od you desire to keep the highly limiting California theme attached to the D(C?)A moniker. I think it's possible that this is what is driving your arguements as to how a studios park should be defined. Pllease note that most things in life have more than one definition, or variation of meaning as you may.

If Disney decides to drop the California theme, there may still be other possibilities for those that prefer theme park themes along along the DCA line. Perhaps Six Flags will change the name of Magic Mountain to Magic California Adventure, or maybe Cedar Fair will create a Knott's California Berry Adventure.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• At the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post

Don't mean to burst the bubbles of the four of you, but,Disneyland is a studios based park. The mother park was financed to a significant extent by the profits generated from Walt's movie film enterprises. Most of it's attractions have been movie related. Over the years, one of the main things that guests have seen while entering the park is movie posters. In spite of the fact that the word "studios" would have worked quite well back in 1955, the old girl was the first theme park in the world and Walt chose a Neverland fantasy type of moniker, inserting his own commercial name into what America and the world have come to know an love as Disneyland. Digressing, as Dusty has related, a theme park such as D(C?)A doesn't have to even include the word "studios" in it's title to be considered a studios park.

I understand that you four don't care for studios based parks, and it may also be true that most or all od you desire to keep the highly limiting California theme attached to the D(C?)A moniker. I think it's possible that this is what is driving your arguements as to how a studios park should be defined. Pllease note that most things in life have more than one definition, or variation of meaning as you may.

If Disney decides to drop the California theme, there may still be other possibilities for those that prefer theme park themes along along the DCA line. Perhaps Six Flags will change the name of Magic Mountain to Magic California Adventure, or maybe Cedar Fair will create a Knott's California Berry Adventure.
    A park with elements created in a studio, and a studio themed park are drastically different. And please don't put words into my mouth, I never said I don't like studio themed parks. But DCA isn't one, and I doubt it ever will be.

• At the bottom

Pllease note that most things in life have more than one definition, or variation of meaning as you may
    I agree.
    Maybe you are missing the meaning of Disney California Adventure.

It's Disney, It's in California, and it's an adventure. Just because there is a location in a parks name, doesn't mean that the entire park has to be themed to said location. Otherwise I imagine Tokyo Disney Sea would be very much different.

• Iron-Clad Allie

A park with elements created in a studio, and a studio themed park are drastically different. And please don't put words into my mouth, I never said I don't like studio themed parks. But DCA isn't one, and I doubt it ever will be.
    That's your preprogative and your entitled to your opinion.

I agree.
    Maybe you are missing the meaning of Disney California Adventure.

It's Disney, It's in California, and it's an adventure. Just because there is a location in a parks name, doesn't mean that the entire park has to be themed to said location. Otherwise I imagine Tokyo Disney Sea would be very much different.
    Tokyo Disney Sea obviously suggests that the park merely exists in Tokyo, and that the location has nothing to do whith it's Sea faring theme. For one thing, there's no such thing as a Tokyo Sea as a proper geographical name. Moreover, there's not one single attraction at the park that is themed to Tokyo...and nobody so much as uttering a syllable of complaint about any attraction not fitting the Tokyo theme. On the other hand, where DCA is concerned, the complaints over attractions not coinciding with the California theme outnumber everything else put together that has to do with the park.

Sorry again, but D(C?)A is a studios park...and the continued makeover will make it even a better one. Can you imagine what a fantastic feeling it will be in August 2012 when guests walk thru the the turnstyles onto Buena vista Street while walking in Walt's footsteps when he had visions of getting a successful animated studio production company going!.

• Senior Minion

...Disneyland is a studios based park. ...Most of it's attractions have been movie related.
    Really?

Here's a list of Disneyland's rides and walk-thrus, past and present...

Movie-related:

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
    Alice in Wonderland
    Art of Animation
    Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
    Casey Jr. Circus Train
    Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes
    Davy Crockett Museum
    Dumbo
    Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
    Gadget’s Go Goaster
    Honey, I Shrunk the Audience
    Indian Jones: Temple of the Forbidden Eye
    Matterhorn
    Mickey Mouse Club Circus
    Mickey Mouse Club Theater
    Mike Fink Keelboats
    Mine Train thru Nature’s Wonderland
    Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride
    Peter Pan’s Flight
    Pinocchio’s Daring Journey
    Pirates of the Caribbean Jack Sparrow redo
    Roger Rabbit’s Cartoon Spin
    Sleeping Beauty Castle
    Snow White’s Scary Adventures
    Splash Mountain
    Swiss Family Treehouse/Tarzan’s Treehouse
    Teacups
    Winnie the Pooh

Non-movie related:

Adventure thru Inner Space
    America Sings
    Astro-Jets/Rocket Jets
    Autopia
    Big Thunder Mountain RR
    Big Thunder Ranch
    Captain Eo
    Carousel
    Carousel of Progress
    Circarama/CircleVision-360
    Color Gallery
    Conestoga Wagons
    Country Bear Jamboree
    Disneyland RR
    Flight Circle
    Flying Saucers
    Golden Horseshoe Revue
    Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
    Haunted Mansion
    House of the Future
    Indian Village
    Indian War Canoes
    Innoventions
    It’s a Small World
    Jungle Cruise
    Main St. Cinema
    Main St. Fire Wagon
    Main St. Horsecar
    Main St. Omnibus
    Main St. Surrey
    Mark Twain
    Midget Autopia
    Mineral Hall
    Mission to Mars
    Monorail
    Monsanto Hall of Chemistry
    Motorboat Cruise
    PeopleMover
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Rainbow Mountain Stagecoach
    Rainbow Ridge Pack Mules
    Rocket Rods
    Rocket to the Moon/Flight to the Moon
    Sailing Ship Columbia
    Skyway
    Space Mountain
    Space Station X-1
    Submarine Voyage thru Liquid Space
    The World Beneath Us
    Tiki Room
    Tom Sawyer Island
    Viewliner
    Unless I'm missing some, I count 28 movie-related vs. 52 non-movie related.

Almost two-to-one dominance of non-movie related attractions during Disneyland's history.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 01-04-2011 at 08:55 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Iron-Clad Allie

Many of the vehicles were used in Disney movies, most if not all of the rides on the list were used in Disneyland films that were featured on Uncle Disney television shows. Plus, the attractions that have been based on box office movies (or vice versa) are enough to constitute disneyland being classified as a studios park. Like I said, if you want to consider D(C?)A an non-movies park while holding on to the notion that all attractions must strictly fit the California theme...that's certainly your prerogative.

• Senior Minion

^ Sorry, RW. Count the attractions. Clearly, your statements that "...Most of [Disneyland's] attractions have been movie related" and "the attractions that have been based on box office movies (or vice versa) are enough to constitute disneyland being classified as a studios park" are not even remotely correct.

Just sayin'.

- Neil Gabler

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Disneyland is movie based, but not studio based. It does not share that feeling which Universal Studios and DHS have and neither does DCA.

That and many of us don't seem to find the California theme as limiting as you do. You know, it can have more than one definition, or a variation of meaning[s] if you will. But, you seem defiant to that possibility.

The irony of all this is your trying to cut down our views because we "don't like studios parks" (which was inferred by you regardless of our actual opinions), while you have openly admitted to not liking DCA. Funny how that works.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    ^ Sorry, RW. Count the attractions. Clearly, your statements that "...Most of [Disneyland's] attractions have been movie related" and "the attractions that have been based on box office movies (or vice versa) are enough to constitute disneyland being classified as a studios park" are not even remotely correct.

Just sayin'.
    Those pesky details get in the way of the broad generalizations, sweeping assumptions, and inferred opinions of others that RW has formulated and presented as fact, so they need be limited or omitted.

I mean come on.. you know what he meant right?

(If you did, be sure to let me know cause I'm lost. )

To that end, I think we need to define what a studios park is. In my opionion, a studios park is a park modeled after a real or fake studio (ie one with a backlot) while the rest of the park has major takes on Hollywood, the sets of movies, or provides a glimpse at how movies are made. Simply having attractions that are about movies does not create a studios park, and that is a mistake that was made in DHS.

• At the bottom

On the other hand, where DCA is concerned, the complaints over attractions not coinciding with the California theme outnumber everything else put together that has to do with the park.
    What attractions do you think don't coincide with the California theme?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    In my opionion, a studios park is a park modeled after a real or fake studio (ie one with a backlot) while the rest of the park has major takes on Hollywood, the sets of movies, or provides a glimpse at how movies are made.
    Exactly.

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

The only thing "studio" about DCA is HPB. But even that might change in the future.

• Kingdom Comedian

What attractions do you think don't coincide with the California theme?
    Toy Story
    Silly Symphony Swings
    Bugs Land
    Little Mermaid
    Cars
    Monsters Inc
    Muppets (I LOVE Muppets and would hate to see it leave, but as a purist, I must include it in this list)

Monster's Inc

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast