Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by Wedcot View Post
    A studios name doesn't fit in because of PP and golden state/ soarin.
    The California theme fits less. Besides, the Golden State/Soarin' area is rumored to be changing once phase 2 of the makeover kicks into gear. Paradise Pier is turning into a Disney cartoon based attraction district...and these characters have everything to do with the studios.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    I don't see it becoming a "studio" park, but I do see them changing the name somehow. From what the Blue Sky Cellar shows, the entrance will go through very drastic changes from what it looks like now...but I don't if those changes will affect the esplanade (sp?) beyond the fact that the big letters will be gone.
    I just said there is a good chance of the park becoming studio themed. That said, you are right as rain, Goofy Daddy, that the park could be in for a name change that is not studios oriented. Just about anything would be more compelling than the redundent California Adventure. As we live in California, DCA might as well be called Disnney's Themeless Theme Park Adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit King View Post
    The name will drastically and total revolutionarily change. They will, with great mind to the cost, drop the " 's ". Yes, you heard it here, no longer will it be the cruddy Disney's California Adventure, now, for the mere expense of reprinting many garbage cans and re-recording some spiels, we will have the genius name of Disney California Adventure.
    LOL! I wonder when they will rename Walt's park Disney's Disneyland or Disney Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I still dont like the new gate design...an exact replica of the one in DHS. It wont fit with the actual design of Buena Vista Street. They should've gone with something more elegant and less art deco.
    Something tells me that the new gate design will remain a work in progress for some time to come. In the end, the new entrance should match Buena Vista street much better.

Quote Originally Posted by kibia16 View Post
    They did change the name. They removed the " 's " and made a new logo.

New Name and Logo:

Old Name and Logo:

hee hee! Disney's dumping of the huge California lettering is an indicative clue that the name will be dropped everywhere. Besides, the CALIFORNIA in concept logo above has already been dropped. this is why the lettering is all scrambled.

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    Continued progress on the DCA makeover is a good thing, but I will miss the letters. They made for fun photo-ops, and the ability to add overlays was put to good use from time to time.

I'm not a fan either, but we'll see how it turns out. The entrance to DHS is pretty bland, and this one appears to be quite similair.
    For your sake,BC_Disney Geek, I regret that the big lettering is being removed. But, I think a smaller entryway does not mean that it will not be more charming, by far.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by nonob88 View Post
    I highly doubt the name will change. If they were planning on changing the name, that's one of the first things they would have announced prior to announcing the expansion plans. It looks like the name and California theme are here to stay
    Disney would not have announced a name change if it hasn't made up it's mind what to call the park yet. Or it could be waiting to surprise everyone at the last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Timekeeper View Post
    I agree that the gate retheme is bad, but I like the name with the 's.

Timekeeper
    Just because I don't care for the moniker doesn't mean that there are not others who do.

Quote Originally Posted by PoisonAppleDear View Post
    We will keep the new name where we dropped the S, as other's have showed you our new logo. And trust me we started that change over the summer and it was quite difficult being a CM and having to say Enjoy the rest of your day here at Disney California Adventure lol. For years saying Disney's California Adventure. But I am pleased the letters are coming down, it will make the entrance look wonderful and give plenty of room for the trolley car to turn around. Plus being modeled after the Pan Pacific Theater is awesome and if you wanna see what it looked like look it up or watch the video XANADU with Olivia Newton John and you can see shots of it where they filmed there for scenes. Anyways the remodeling we are doing I think is great, with WOC having been received so well we are slowly turning away from being the red headed step child.

And then renovation is well over 1 billion. But I love the changes that are being made and I love working there. Come say hi to me sometime, you can find me at Flicks Fun Fair =)
    I will indeed look you up Poison Apple Dear. Just keep in mind that everything Disney tells CMs is not accurate. They go to all extremes to safeguard secrets that they don't desire announced until they are good and ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Dude, you bring up this same thing like every month.
    Ha ha! I've brought this up several times...though only once in the form of a thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    I think the name should be Walt Disney's Californian Adventure.
    Oh my...

Quote Originally Posted by CanaDuh View Post
    To combine some other ideas/speculations, how about "Disney California Studios", or simply "Disneyland Studios"?

I remember the "s"-dropping recently, and I'm wondering why they would hypothetically change the name twice? It costs a lot of $$$ for any company to name-change once, let alone twice. If they were going to go for a big name change, they wouldn't have bridged the gap by trimming an apostrophe S. I think the name is probably here to stay.

Of course, anything is possible!
    I love your Disney California Studios idea, CanaDuh.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    The makeover of the entry for DCA is unprecedented in Disney history (and the park will still suffer for the horrendous park layout and numerous other initial park choices that cannot be overcome, even with a billion and a half dollars - remember, it's just not a billion for the make over that they have spent on DCA, they have had dozens of other projects and 100's of millions of additional dollars invested since opening day, nearly 10 years ago.)

But what they are doing with the "CALIFORNIA" entry letter really cannot be described as a "Demoshing" them, as Disney has other plans to re use those letters. And really it's only the entry gates that are being moved out into the esplanade. The buildings that are at the entry to DCA will still pretty much remain, just given a brand new facade. However I am very much looking forward to a new themed entry and the new street, which will certainly look much nicert than the huge open concrete court they had on opening day.
    A newly themed entry will indeed rock, Aladdin! It is good that the company is exercizing pragmatism by putting the lettering to another use. I'm just so happy to see them go that I'm symbolically refering to it as a demolishing.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• LOL!!!!!!! (MC teen joke)

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    I think the name should be Walt Disney's Californian Adventure.
    That's what I used to want it to be back when Buena Vista Street was to be called Walt Disney Plaza. But now, not so much. It still sounds cool to me though. lol
    The Original Teen Scene of MiceChat:
    fangalicious44 padgerfan monorailorange33 SS77 A113 animekiti4christ DapperJoshua Performerinwaiting MainStreetJake dmtnt55 MikeSkellington
    JungleCruiseFan Ckelef1 Incrediboy The Disneylander GummiBearsRock iskategoofy *disneyprincess* stevo505 Dragonfire Colorized DisneyLove littleactressann Kritter

•   
    • Artistic integrity

Some micechatters have a better imagination .. than the dope who's recreating WDW's DHS's Pan Pacific entrance!

It was a big topic .. somebody here created a Union Station/Spanish Designed entrance .. which is really more fitting to the 1920s Walt Disney Buena Vista Street theme.

Whatever happened to originality???

Oh .. here's a great idea ... Just do a copy of DHS's entrance

.......... yippie

IDIOTS!

I just can't think of a better word.

And I'm even more dumbfounded than anyone here can possibly imagine.

Dropping the 's to DISNEY CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE - ????

Oh wow! Whoever thought of that brilliant stroke of genius should get the "Bean Soup" Special for free at the commissary at the Burbank studio!

Then afterwards .... their farts can match that genius bit that came out of their other end.

• long time listener

I still dont like the new gate design...an exact replica of the one in DHS. It wont fit with the actual design of Buena Vista Street. They should've gone with something more elegant and less art deco.
    Agreed

• long time listener

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Some micechatters have a better imagination .. than the dope who's recreating WDW's DHS's Pan Pacific entrance!

It was a big topic .. somebody here created a Union Station/Spanish Designed entrance .. which is really more fitting to the 1920s Walt Disney Buena Vista Street theme.

Whatever happened to originality???

Oh .. here's a great idea ... Just do a copy of DHS's entrance

.......... yippie

IDIOTS!

I just can't think of a better word.

And I'm even more dumbfounded than anyone here can possibly imagine.

Dropping the 's to DISNEY CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE - ????

Oh wow! Whoever thought of that brilliant stroke of genius should get the "Bean Soup" Special for free at the commissary at the Burbank studio!

Then afterwards .... their farts can match that genius bit that came out of their other end.
    Great stuff TL

• Knight that says Nee!!

Toonaspie, don't be so melodramatic! The new design is not an EXACT replica of the DHS entrance. If you look at the released materiel it is CLEAR that SEVERAL of the trash cans are positioned in different spots than DHS.

• Blew By You

I've always enjoyed looking at the Pan Pacific art deco design. I was able to visit the building on several occasions, having worked closeby to it. So, at least, I can visit the Pan Pacific entrance and see a familiar iconic look. Better than letters.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Likely Making Changes

Blog Entries

I don't get why the name thing keeps coming up. Two things are true:
    a) Although not impossible, a name change is extremely unlikely for a long list of reasons.
    b) There has been nothing that even hints toward a new name for DCA.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I don't get why the name thing keeps coming up. Two things are true:
    a) Although not impossible, a name change is extremely unlikely for a long list of reasons.
    b) There has been nothing that even hints toward a new name for DCA.
    Voice of reason.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Likely Making Changes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    The California theme fits less. Besides, the Golden State/Soarin' area is rumored to be changing once phase 2 of the makeover kicks into gear. Paradise Pier is turning into a Disney cartoon based attraction district...and these characters have everything to do with the studios.

I just said there is a good chance of the park becoming studio themed. That said, you are right as rain, Goofy Daddy, that the park could be in for a name change that is not studios oriented. Just about anything would be more compelling than the redundent California Adventure. As we live in California, DCA might as well be called Disnney's Themeless Theme Park Adventure.
    So wait, your saying that if they go about renaming the place, they should pick a name that only kinda fits half the park? A "studio" name is well of the mark from what the park is, or will be (going off of the releases we have), and therefore would make a poor new park name. Considering that they dropped the S and redrew the logo, all solid facts are pointing toward keeping the old name. We have a clear view of what they are planning to do with each land, so discounting those facts leads away from what is likely to happen. There is no way that a Victorian Pier featuring the Fab Five fits in any way, shape or form with a Studio park.... Also, how is "California Adventure" redundant?

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Disney would not have announced a name change if it hasn't made up it's mind what to call the park yet. Or it could be waiting to surprise everyone at the last minute.

[...]
    Does this mean that we can assume Disney is planning to do anything they want and they just haven't finalized the design or are waiting to spring it on us? Without any solid hints (let alone the hints to the contrary), this is just an excuse for no real basis.

• Minion

Personally I do not see a name change at all besides the drop of the 's because marketing would actually insist on a name change happening at the beginning of the redesign as in here is the name and here is what we are building to match the name!

If we are playing the what would you name it game then I say name it Disney's Adventure Park!

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Likely Making Changes

Blog Entries

If I were to rename it, I would be careful about how the Disney tag is worked into the title. Disney's Animal Kingdom and DisneySEA are examples of titles that nicely incorporate the tag, while Disney California Adventure is an example of awkwardly fitting it in.

That being said, California or some refrence to it, should stay. BVS, The National Park, Hollywoodland, The Wharf and Paradise Pier all perfectly fit the California theme. Carsland gets a half pass and Bugsland had better be too short lived to matter, even though there is nothing specifically barring it from being in California.

From that, I don't see the need for each ride to scream California as long as it both meshes with the land it occupies and has no hint or mention on the attraction, in the film that spawned the attraction, or in other literature that says it is not in California. That is still an extremely broad spectrum to draw from putting very few limits on creativity. When the tourist market comes back and the AP price shoots up, it will make a lot more sense overall. I know some locals are confused by the theme choice, but its for the out of state guests, and they will eat it up when it is done correctly.

Also, I find Disney('s) California Adventure far to wordy. Nine syllables is far too many and guests easily mash it up or don't know the proper name. A short title that can be said without the "Disney('s)" and is based off a slogan or title is much more likely to stick in someone's head. Some prime Disney examples of this are DisneySEA which is an obvioius play on Disneyland, the Magic Kingdom which draws roots from fairy tails, and Disney's Animal Kingdom, a genious play on the term Animal Kingdom and the Magic Kingdom.

Back to DCA.

If the national park can become one cohesive land with rich, lush theming while the feel of NoS and Mainstreet is replicated in BVS and Hollywoodland... If Paradise Pier can become encapsulating in charm, taking you out of now and into the past.. then a name that draws of the allure and promise of California, well away from the DCA formula should be adopted. Something like Disney's Golden State is sort of good, but it leaves room to be messed around with. Maybe Disney GoldenState could be adopted to make it more memorable.
    Last edited by Trevor; 12-14-2010 at 11:07 AM.

• I'm from Canada eh!

I liked the letters, really very sad to see them go. I get that they don't fit the look that they are going for, but it doesn't discount that fact that the park was designed to celebrate the great state of California. Oh well, maybe I can buy a 'L' for my son and put it on my front lawn.

• Senior Minion

Don't tell them I told you, but their plan is to rename every park, Disney Park. It will save a ton of money on marketing and help unify the brand. It will also make the parks sound cool by having the names sound more like software releases, which they've done research that shows these names are very popular with tween girls. Thus Disneyland is soon to become, Disney Park 1.50, Magic Kingdom will be Disney Park 2.30 and DCA will be Disney Park 8.20.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast