Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1522232425262728 LastLast
Results 361 to 375 of 419
  1. #361

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,454

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Theme Parks - Theme Parks and Amusement Parks, Designing Disneyland, Disneylands Successors, Walt Disney World Resort - Encyclopedia of Children and Childhood in History and Society

    "The term theme park originated with Disneyland, which opened in Anaheim, California, in 1955. As the first and most widely recognized theme park, Disneyland has long reigned as the model of all modern theme parks. Its unique themed settings and attractions created a shift in the design of parks that followed, many of which placed as much emphasis on their themed environments as on park attractions."

    A fact remains a fact, regardless of any individual or group effort to say otherwise.
    Saying that the term theme park was derived to describe Disneyland does not make Disneyland the first themed park. It means there hadn't been a themed park with enough cultural significance to require a term for it the common lexicon. Walt did not invent the concept of adding themes to amusement parks.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

  2. #362

    •   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Santa Monica
    Posts
    1,484

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Theme Parks - Theme Parks and Amusement Parks, Designing Disneyland, Disneylands Successors, Walt Disney World Resort - Encyclopedia of Children and Childhood in History and Society

    "The term theme park originated with Disneyland, which opened in Anaheim, California, in 1955. As the first and most widely recognized theme park, Disneyland has long reigned as the model of all modern theme parks. Its unique themed settings and attractions created a shift in the design of parks that followed, many of which placed as much emphasis on their themed environments as on park attractions."

    A fact remains a fact, regardless of any individual or group effort to say otherwise.
    They are different theme parks claiming to be the first, disneyland was never one of them, disney may have popularized the theme park but they definitely not the first

    Knotts Berry farm advertises as Americas First theme park

    Santa Claus land in Indiana,

    and even Lake Compounce in bristol Connecticut

    all can claim before disney to be truly the first


  3. #363

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,466

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    If that's the case then DCA is, has always been, and will always be a studio park regardless of the name. That would also mean that all of those people who said attractions didn't belong in a California theme park were wrong because it's always been a studios park and thus they fit.
    Well, there it is. That's quite fitting of you to say, Uncle Bob. I realize that this response could be tongue-in-cheak. but I hope you're being straight-up sincere.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  4. #364

    • At the bottom
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    451

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Theme Parks - Theme Parks and Amusement Parks, Designing Disneyland, Disneylands Successors, Walt Disney World Resort - Encyclopedia of Children and Childhood in History and Society

    "The term theme park originated with Disneyland, which opened in Anaheim, California, in 1955. As the first and most widely recognized theme park, Disneyland has long reigned as the model of all modern theme parks. Its unique themed settings and attractions created a shift in the design of parks that followed, many of which placed as much emphasis on their themed environments as on park attractions."

    A fact remains a fact, regardless of any individual or group effort to say otherwise.
    Yeah, try to use a fansite for factual content.......Fail.

    Theme parks have existed all over the world before the US was even a glimmer in our forefathers eyes. Parks decorated to everything from miniature worlds to holidays were around long before Disney. And Walt was known to borrow ideas from some of these earlier parks.

  5. #365

    •   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Santa Monica
    Posts
    1,484

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Well, there it is. That's quite fitting of you to say, Uncle Bob. I realize that this response could be tongue-in-cheak. but I hope you're being straight-up sincere.
    He is being Sarcastic... Sorry bro... I think this thread has run its course... we can safely determine that 2012 or anytime soon the park wont be changing its name in a major way


  6. #366

    • At the bottom
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    451

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    My definition is what has already been established by the worldwide studios parks of Disney and Universal (minus the movie production area at Universal Hollywood. I'm sorry that you and a few others apparently strongly oppose replacing DCA and it's California theme with any other theme (studios or otherwise). Even so, a fact is a fact.
    Your definition is exactly that...your own. You keep repeating that there is a "few" others that oppose a name change. But I am guessing there are even fewer that would agree with a "studio" rename.

  7. #367

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,454

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Well, there it is. That's quite fitting of you to say, Uncle Bob. I realize that this response could be tongue-in-cheak. but I hope you're being straight-up sincere.
    Well, it was somewhat tongue in cheek, but that's kind of the problem. If you're not using the same definitions of things, then we're just not hearing each other, and the whole discussion is meaningless. If you're essentially using theme park and studio park interchangeably, then there really is no reason to change the name other then marketing, because you think the name has become too toxic. I don't think that's the case, nor do I think they will really ever change the name. But if you want to keep believing that because you've come to hate the name then more power to you.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

  8. #368

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,466

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by lighttragic View Post
    They are different theme parks claiming to be the first, disneyland was never one of them, disney may have popularized the theme park but they definitely not the first

    Knotts Berry farm advertises as Americas First theme park

    Santa Claus land in Indiana,

    and even Lake Compounce in bristol Connecticut

    all can claim before disney to be truly the first
    There are others that claim that they discovered electricity, and not Benjamin Franklin...and that they invented the electric lightbulb instead of Thomas Edison. Arbitrary claims do not negate fact. I gave you factual evidence. You argued in return with hearsay. None of the parks that you mentioned have been credited by any reliable source as being the first theme park. Show me a credible sourse link that backs up any of their claims.

    It is admerable though that you like DCA's California theme so much that you have been willing to go to this much trouble so far.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  9. #369

    •   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    9,021
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    I love your creative phrase "true blue sky". You should get a blog or something going under that label, Trev. That said (in the highest complementary sense), your argument serves to acknowlede only the first half of the scope of Walt's dream that I had highlighted. The second half of his dream (as I had mentioned a few posts ago) was/is to selflessly desire for the imagination of others to build attractions and lands and entirely new themeparks...like recreating DCA...and overhauling it from top (it's limiting redundent name/theme) to bottom (it's attrctions and lands).

    Since you have found no fault (other than cheapness) in Eisner's dream (aka DCA), you must hugely admire Eisner for his ability to come up with cool themepark names...perhaps you even revere him as much as Walt to that end.
    Are you kidding? We "discussed" for weeks the fact that I think DCA's main flaw was its initial lack of execution and budget... How I am suddenly a worshiper of Eisner and the park in its original state is beyond me. I've stood back and looked where the park is going. The "old" name isn't perfect, but its better than your suggestion.

    The fact you are posting personal and opinion based statements contrary to the facts shows that your desperate to keep an edge on the conversation. Your last paragraph in the quote above which works so hard to put words in my mouth contrary to my actual views and opinions is a clear example of this.

    Until you can come up with a name any less redundant than you think DCA is that viably sums up the theme park you wish to label, don't be so surprised at the opposition. Disney would need a really strong name to overcome the many reasons listed here as to why a rename is unlikely and complicated and so far your suggestion falls well short of that. I'd hate to go into the difference between a movie inspired park and a studios park again (you know, a studio is where films are made while a movie based park contains attractions based on movies) but just like the last three times, you'll ignore the clear difference.

  10. #370

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,466

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Well, it was somewhat tongue in cheek, but that's kind of the problem. If you're not using the same definitions of things, then we're just not hearing each other, and the whole discussion is meaningless. If you're essentially using theme park and studio park interchangeably, then there really is no reason to change the name other then marketing, because you think the name has become too toxic. I don't think that's the case, nor do I think they will really ever change the name. But if you want to keep believing that because you've come to hate the name then more power to you.
    It all boils down to the fact that you do not want DCA's California theme replaced...and I want it relaced as soon as possible. I wouldn't exactly call our sparring to that end meaningless. Regardless of what one labels it, it is what it is. One individuals personal preference (opinion) vs anothers.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  11. #371

    • At the bottom
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    451

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    It all boils down to the fact that you do not want DCA's California theme replaced...and I want it relaced as soon as possible. I wouldn't exactly call our sparring to that end meaningless. Regardless of what one labels it, it is what it is. One individuals personal preference (opinion) vs anothers.
    Luckily your opinion is just that. And the fact is that it is Disney California Adventure

  12. #372

    • At the bottom
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    451

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    You see RW,

    Most people I have read don't disagree with a name change in general. They just don't agree with your idea. And that is what I think you are arguing with the most.....but that's just my opinion.

  13. #373

    •   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    9,021
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    It all boils down to the fact that you do not want DCA's California theme replaced...and I want it relaced as soon as possible. I wouldn't exactly call our sparring to that end meaningless. Regardless of what one labels it, it is what it is. One individuals personal preference (opinion) vs anothers.
    What we realize though is that the California theme is not going to be replaced. The huge budget being spent is in no way replacing the California theme. Contrarily, its strengthening it in lots of areas. Thats why we don't think that the name is going to change, or that it even should be changed. It matches what was, is and will be there much better than any of the other proposed titles.

    The argument about the merits of the California theme is a side discussion from the topic of this post. I personally don't limit what the park can and will be with what it was. The past is no reason to condemn the future. Once they have worked through the park, the California basis will be much stronger, more appropriate and good. It won't matter what was when what is is great. Considering California is one of the most diverse States culturally, physically and naturally, there is a lot more to draw from than you seem to give credit for. Emulating this in a park is not redundant, but smart. Disney intends to package what a tourist wants from California in a theme park and that makes sense.

  14. #374

    •   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Santa Monica
    Posts
    1,484

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    There are others that claim that they discovered electricity, and not Benjamin Franklin...and that they invented the electric lightbulb instead of Thomas Edison. Arbitrary claims do not negate fact. I gave you factual evidence. You argued in return with hearsay. None of the parks that you mentioned have been credited by any reliable source as being the first theme park. Show me a credible sourse link that backs up any of their claims.

    It is admerable though that you like DCA's California theme so much that you have been willing to go to this much trouble so far.
    do a quick google search of Americas first theme park and tell me what you find, disneyland will not be listed. it is not hearsay it is factual evidence, heck email dave smith or his replacement at disney and they will deny being the first american theme park
    your searh will boil down to one of those three parks mentioned and possibly even coney island .
    i am not going to spend the time arguing with you on this, as i have said before , the thread has run its course and all certain people are doing here is making things personal which shouldnt be the spirit of the forum... People are going to think and believe what they want which is fine but
    Lets move on and discuss something else...


  15. #375

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,454

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    It all boils down to the fact that you do not want DCA's California theme replaced...and I want it relaced as soon as possible. I wouldn't exactly call our sparring to that end meaningless. Regardless of what one labels it, it is what it is. One individuals personal preference (opinion) vs anothers.
    If you had just said that in the beginning then there wouldn't have been this long discussion of what a studios park is. That is what I meant was meaningless. You've continued to say the current improvements are making DCA more of a studio park. If that means it has more movie based rides now, well that's a statement of the obvious. But that's only if you're using a definition of studio park that nobody else seems to agree with.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •