Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16232425262728 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Saying that the term theme park was derived to describe Disneyland does not make Disneyland the first themed park.
    Yes, it does. And not taking that into account, Here is a historical account of amusement parks leading up to the day that Walt revolutionized the industry by creating the first theme park. Rather than boasting a hodge podge of attractions, disneyland was organized by several themed lands all having to do with Walt disney himself as the overall unifying theme. As a matter of fact, Walt gained miore insight from orderly world's fairs that predated Disneyland than the thrown together amusement parks statewide and abroad.

Amusement and Theme Parks

"In 1955, Walt Disney, already a wildly successful maker of family movies and television, marshalled his already-considerable resources: universal brand name recognition, an established stable of instantly recognizable characters, a weekly nationwide television audience, and a large parcel of unused land in Anaheim, California. He invented the "theme park," though the term was not used then: Disneyland, an environment completely under control with every element approved by the family-friendly and trusted Disney, designed for the whole family. And it was designed to be more than just a local attraction; it was meant as a destination for vacationers nationwide."
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• At the bottom

Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    He invented the "theme park," though the term was not used then

You Invalidated your own argument with that link.

So when do you believe the theme park was created. When the phrase was coined? or when a themed park was built?

• Banned User

I'm starting to think maybe we all are just being punk'd!

No way can RW write this odd, warped sense of logic to an argument he has lost about 14 pages ago and still think this has a remote chance of happening?

Its all been said and done. There are waaaay too many examples why fits perfectly with whats getting built and why a 'studios' park would just be a mess in terms of theming, and again, not a shread of proof its remotely happening. And Umm, no has said it countless times. Either u believe him or u dont, but surprise, surprise, the only people who dont are the people who can't face the obvious.

And this business about us arguing about it staying California because we want it, I got news for you: MOST of us here don't care for the theme! We are simply facing reality, thats what it was at opening and thats what it will continue to be, regardless if we like it or not. It's like someone saying I must like violence simply because I pointed out the fact it won't stop in the near future. Again, more warped logic and a weak argument.

But I hope I'm still here in a year, because its going to be fun to pull this up!

• =)

Ladies and gents...to be frank, I don't think this thread is going to do anyone any good at this point, but I'm not in the habit of closing threads just because I feel like it. What will get this thread closed is if the personal attacks and overall nastiness continue. Ride Warrior, I'll be blunt here - your refusal to consider others' arguments and your out-of-place flattery are instigating many of these problems. Many members find this frustrating, and I would highly recommend changing your approach. But this does not justify the use of personal attacks and so forth by any stretch of the imagination. Members are still responsible for their actions...particularly those who have already been warned.

Please either keep this thread respectful or do not participate. Any further problems will result in the thread being closed.

• Minion

Quick question about the sign, (Or at least the area around it) wasn’t there commemorative bricks around the letters? I remember them selling them around the 50th, just can't remember if there where any placed close to the letters themselves. If these bricks have to be moved, any idea of where they are going to be relocated?

• =)

Well, there are bricks that people have paid for all over the esplanade. I don't remember if any were close to the letters, though...good question...

• Disney is home

There were no bricks near the letters and the ones that are currently near the walls are blank. When bricks are purchased, the buyers are told that the bricks were guaranteed 10 years. I've been told two different starting points for the 10 years, the first one would be when the first bricks were purchased and put out in the esplanade and the second one would be the date you purchased your brick. Most likely the starting date would be when the first bricks were purchased, which means the 10 years from that starting date is coming up or has just recently passed.

I can't think of one person who considers DCA a 'studios' park. This converstation is just going around in circles.

California is the theme we were given, I don't see why people are thinking there is a name change coming soon. Hollywood Land, once complete will be the closest thing to a 'studio' land. I never heard the word studio so much until stepping into this thread. The idea that Grizzly Park should be considered a studio is laughable.

• =)

Actually, I'd argue that the Hollywood Pictures Backlot -> Hollywoodland transition would constitute a step away from a studio theme, not towards it. In its original form, HPB attempts to give a bit of a studio flavor, with the exposed backsides of the facades and unthemed soundstages and so forth. Just look at the name - it's sort of supposed to be a backlot at a studio where Hollywood scenes could be filmed. The proposed Hollywoodland approach, as I understand it, would/will distance the land from this studio-based approach, in favor of evoking early Hollywood itself instead. In my opinion, it's a wise move, and a huge nail in the coffin of any theories about a parkwide studio theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Actually, I'd argue that the Hollywood Pictures Backlot -> Hollywoodland transition would constitute a step away from a studio theme, not towards it. In its original form, HPB attempts to give a bit of a studio flavor, with the exposed backsides of the facades and unthemed soundstages and so forth. Just look at the name - it's sort of supposed to be a backlot at a studio where Hollywood scenes could be filmed. The proposed Hollywoodland approach, as I understand it, would/will distance the land from this studio-based approach, in favor of evoking early Hollywood itself instead. In my opinion, it's a wise move, and a huge nail in the coffin of any theories about a parkwide studio theme.
    Pretty much, but I meant it would be the closest thing that would be considered a studio type setting. Even though I doubt we will see anything that resembles a movie set but it could happen.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

SidVicious, TERRIBLE signature. Terrible. Creeps me out because it's not my Natalie.

On the point though, I don't understand why ANYone would want DCA to become a "Studios" park. Look at Disney's army of theme parks. The WEAKEST ones are Disney Hollywood Studios and Walt Disney Studios Paris. Why do you think that is?

Look at Universal... Why is Islands of Adventure THAT much better than the normal Universal Studios?

It's all proof that it's a failed concept. Disneyland is the first "movie" park without BEING a movie park. Every land is a different genre found in film and television but doesn't say "everything here is fake". It treats it all as real and that's why it succeeds.

Why do we go to the movies? Because we want to BELIEVE that what we're watching is real. We buy into it and escape. We go to theme parks for that same reason. Why would we want to go somewhere and have it go "it's fake!"?

Harry Potter land is amazing because they treated it as real. They didn't build half sets and go "welcome to stage X where Harry Potter was filmed".

Hollywood Pictures Backlot is becoming Hollywoodland. A step in the right direction.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    SidVicious, TERRIBLE signature. Terrible. Creeps me out because it's not my Natalie.
    Makes you want to ask..."What happened to my sweet Natalie?"

• =)

Exactly. Real behind-the-scenes stuff is interesting in its own way, but building onstage areas that are themed to mimic that stuff has not proven to be an overwhelmingly popular approach. It's certainly not something I enjoy. Let backstage be backstage and onstage be onstage, I say.

USH is more successful with this sort of thing because it's a real studio with a real backlot where things are really being shot. You're essentially getting the real deal, at least on the studio tour. It's not a theme-park-ified version of a backlot. Of course, then the theme park itself is rather underwhelming, but that's another topic.

But again, this is all a bit of a moot point because there's no evidence to suggest that DCA will be getting a name change, much less one that includes the word "Studios." Regardless of what we do or don't want, there simply isn't any reason to believe this will actually be happening.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Now were getting somewhere. Its sad though that I tried to hammer out the true meaning of a studios park over ten pages ago and yet this still goes on.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Wow, GREAT point, which kills the argument yet again! But yes, if u are supposedly making a 'studio' park, then why would u purposely change the ONE area that is actually based on a studio theme into a city oriented one? It makes no sense!

And ANOTHER nail in the coffin with this topic, why would Disney go out of their way of changing it from a contemporary perspective to the past of 20's and 30's if its a studio theme? ALL of the studio based parks are based on contemporary settings because the point is to promote current and upcoming films as well as past films. Sure, there are small inferences of past time periods like DHS and the 30s vibe of the Golden Age of Hollywood, but its really only a small section of the park. Most of it is about present day with current shows/movies like American Idol or Star Wars. DCA is going out of its way of changing the ENTIRE park to the past and it seems like it will be hard to have a contemporary attraction, like Armageddon for example, as the original park was going to have before it was cut. Why create a studio themed park if u build around specific time periods that limits so much of future or current films?

It seems to me, if u are building a studio themed park, not only would u KEEP the only section of the park that is a studio setting as such, u would also allow contemporary settings flow more easily to promote as many films and TV shows as possible. It seems like they would be shooting themselves in the foot IF it was a studio based park...but its clearly not one.
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 01-20-2011 at 11:37 AM.