Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2172425262728 LastLast

• Kingdom Comedian

Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Look at Disney's army of theme parks. The WEAKEST ones are Disney Hollywood Studios and Walt Disney Studios Paris. Why do you think that is?
    I don't know if I'd consider Disney Hollywood Studios the weakest. I'd have to say DCA is. Not that I'm in favor of a change to a studio theme. I just think you have to give credit where it's due. The car show, the Indy stunt show, the movie ride, Rock n" Roller Coaster, the original Tower and Muppets, plus 2 EXCELLENTLY themed restaurants. I would not consider Disney Hollywood Studios weak at all...except for the "Studio Tour" (Oy)

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

^This is not directed to you, but I thought of it now because of the topic at hand.

Why would they spend over a billion to retheme "the weakest" Disney park after the second and third weakest parks. Seems strange.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by timbabbcomedian View Post
    I don't know if I'd consider Disney Hollywood Studios the weakest. I'd have to say DCA is. Not that I'm in favor of a change to a studio theme. I just think you have to give credit where it's due. The car show, the Indy stunt show, the movie ride, Rock n" Roller Coaster, the original Tower and Muppets, plus 2 EXCELLENTLY themed restaurants. I would not consider Disney Hollywood Studios weak at all...except for the "Studio Tour" (Oy)

Definite credit where credit is due: Tower of Terror (the original and better than DCA's) and Rock'n'Roller Coaster. It does have a great Sci-Fi Dine In restaurant and a good stunt show or two, but that's where I stop gushing. It has great highlights... among my favorite in WDW but as an entire park, it's incredibly weak.

The park is over-saturated with sit-down shows and not enough rides. The actual look of the park that isn't Hollywood & Sunset Blvd is pretty atrocious. How much cooler can a sound stage look? If you visit a real studio, it's BORING. Everything looks the same, the magic is all contained within the sound stages.... and even when they're filming, it's BORING. Being on a set is BORING. The magic is on the screen. Disneyland brought the magic of the screen to real dimensions and that's why it touches so many hearts.

A Studios park is where the theme is saying movie/tv/music magic is all manufactured. You can stick just about anything anywhere without any rhyme or reason. That's how it is at Walt Disney Studios Paris. You have a Magic Carpets of Aladdin spinner near a Crush/Nemo rollercoaster near another Cars spinner. That wouldn't even work if you named it "Fantasyland".

People can and probably do love those rides, but as an overall theme, it's weak. It's got as much theme as a shopping mall. And that's not why we go to a Disney park.

DCA has problems but individual lands it DOES have. That's where it rises above DHS and WDS in potential and that's primarily how I'm basing my opinion.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Definite credit where credit is due: Tower of Terror (the original and better than DCA's) and Rock'n'Roller Coaster. It does have a great Sci-Fi Dine In restaurant and a good stunt show or two, but that's where I stop gushing. It has great highlights... among my favorite in WDW but as an entire park, it's incredibly weak.

The park is over-saturated with sit-down shows and not enough rides. The actual look of the park that isn't Hollywood & Sunset Blvd is pretty atrocious. How much cooler can a sound stage look? If you visit a real studio, it's BORING. Everything looks the same, the magic is all contained within the sound stages.... and even when they're filming, it's BORING. Being on a set is BORING. The magic is on the screen. Disneyland brought the magic of the screen to real dimensions and that's why it touches so many hearts.

A Studios park is where the theme is saying movie/tv/music magic is all manufactured. You can stick just about anything anywhere without any rhyme or reason. That's how it is at Walt Disney Studios Paris. You have a Magic Carpets of Aladdin spinner near a Crush/Nemo rollercoaster near another Cars spinner. That wouldn't even work if you named it "Fantasyland".

People can and probably do love those rides, but as an overall theme, it's weak. It's got as much theme as a shopping mall. And that's not why we go to a Disney park.

DCA has problems but individual lands it DOES have. That's where it rises above DHS and WDS in potential and that's primarily how I'm basing my opinion.
    Great post agree with everything you say, I do believe dhs is more of a half day park then dca is now

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by lighttragic View Post
    Great post agree with everything you say, I do believe dhs is more of a half day park then dca is now
    Thank you, and I agree with you too. But because I didn't go out tonight, I'm gonna try and be more factual. I'm pulling up my DHS and DCA guide maps from 2010. I will list their attractions and we can see for ourselves....

DISNEY HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS
    Rides
    1. The Great Movie Ride
    2. Star Tours
    3. Toy Story Midway Mania
    4. Rock'n'Roller Coaster starring Aerosmith
    5. The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

Shows, Tours & Play areas
    1. The American Idol Experience
    2. Sounds Dangerous - Starring Drew Carey
    3. Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!
    4. Muppet Vision 3D
    5. Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure
    6. Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show
    7. Studio Backlot Tour (walking tour)
    8. Journey Into Narnia: Prince Caspian
    9. Walt Disney: One Man's Dream
    10. Voyage of the Little Mermaid
    11. The Magic of Disney Animation
    12. Playhouse Disney - Live on Stage!
    13. Beauty and the Beast - Live on Stage!
    14. Fantasmic!
    15. High School Musical 3: Senior Year

TOTAL: 20 ATTRACTIONS (19 actually since HSM isn't a permanent entry)

DISNEY CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
    Rides
    1. Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue!
    2. The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
    3. Flik's Flyers
    4. Francis' Ladybug Boogie
    5. Heimlich's Chew Chew Train
    6. Tuck and Roll's Drive 'em Buggies
    7. Toy Story Midway Mania!
    8. California Screamin'
    9. Mickey's Fun Wheel
    10. Mulholland Madness
    11. Silly Symphony Swings
    12. Golden Zephyr
    13. King Triton's Carousel
    14. Jumpin' Jellyfish
    15. Soarin' Over California
    16. Grizzly River Run

Shows, Games, and Play Areas
    1. Disney's Aladdin - A Musical Spectacular
    2. Playhouse Disney - Live on Stage
    3. Muppet Vision 3D
    4. Turtle Talk with Crush
    5. Animation Academy
    6. Character Close-Up
    7. Sorcerer's Workshop
    8. The Hollywood Backlot Stage <----iffy
    9. It's Tough to be a Bug!
    10. Princess Dot Puddle Park
    11. Games of the Boardwalk
    12. World of Color
    13. Redwood Creek Challenge Trail
    14. Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar
    15. Mission Tortilla Factory
    16. The Bakery Tour
    17. High School Musical 3 <--- not on actual map
    18. ElecTRONica <--- not on actual map
    19. Flynn's Arcade <---- not on actual map
    20. Tron: Legacy Sneak Peek <--- not on actual map

TOTAL: 36 (but actually 31 or 32 officially)

That's quite a big difference when you compare WDW's weakest park and Disneyland's weakest park. The count by next year will increase significantly by 2012 with the addition of the Red Car, Little Mermaid, Flying Tires, Mater's Junkyward Jamboree, and Radiator Springs Racers. Nothing else has been slated for DHS.

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Thank you, and I agree with you too. But because I didn't go out tonight, I'm gonna try and be more factual. I'm pulling up my DHS and DCA guide maps from 2010. I will list their attractions and we can see for ourselves....

Good list, I think its sad that prince caspian and Honey I blew up the kids play area even still exists. The only thing dhs has dca beaten at as food, I think thats about the only positive thing going for disneyworld lately

DISNEY HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS
    Rides
    1. The Great Movie Ride
    2. Star Tours

4. Muppet Vision 3D
    14. Fantasmic!

Rides
    3. Flik's Flyers
    8. California Screamin'
    9. Mickey's Fun Wheel
    10. Mulholland Madness
    12. Golden Zephyr
    14. Jumpin' Jellyfish
    16. Grizzly River Run

3. Muppet Vision 3D
    5. Animation Academy
    6. Character Close-Up
    7. Sorcerer's Workshop
    12. World of Color
    16. The Bakery Tour

That's quite a big difference when you compare WDW's weakest park and Disneyland's weakest park. The count by next year will increase significantly by 2012 with the addition of the Red Car, Little Mermaid, Flying Tires, Mater's Junkyward Jamboree, and Radiator Springs Racers. Nothing else has been slated for DHS.
    Great List, Thanks for taking the time to do that, it really is sad that Prince caspian and the honey I blew up the audience still exists... The only thing I think DHS and disneyworld has better than disneyland right now is the variety and quality of food... Thats it ..

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Uh oh! More lists.. haha

• Kingdom Comedian

DISNEY HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS
    ***LIST***

***LIST***

I will give you that California Adventure has the edge in terms of numbers. (In fact I think you can shrink Hollywood Studios by 1...I'm pretty sure Sounds Dangerous is closed or at least closing soon. I was there in the peak summer season and it wasn't open once.)

But in terms of quality, I would argue that the Studios has the edge. A lot of those DCA attractions were done first and better at DHS (Toy Story, Tower, Muppets) Many of them are prety much "kiddie" rides that while they are fun are not "let's do that again" fun (Flick's Flyers, Golden Zephyr, Jumping Jellyfish). In contrast you have things like the Indy show and Lights, Motor, Action that are "this is awesome" type attractions. Or Rockin' Roller Coaster that makes you want to ride again and again. I will grant DCA has Soarin, World of Color, and (arguably) Screamin' that have that "wow" factor.

The more I think about it though, I realize it's just opinion. I happen to like that "Hollywood" theme. I enjoy that. I read that you guys feel it ruins the magic, but I like that "behind the scenes" stuff. I will listen to commentary tracks and watch director Q & A's. I find little insights into the process fascinating. I can see how it's not everyone's cup of tea...but I'll be happy to drink your share

Also upon reflection, I'd say Animal Kingdom is also weaker than Studios. I spent one day there and felt like I really took it all in, I went back to the Studios at least 3 times.

Also, also...when I say one of these is the "weakest" park, it's like saying that guy is the "weakest" MMA fighter...he may not be as strong as the other guys, but he can sure as heck kick some serious butt. (Does that make sense? I don't really follow MMA, but I wanted to relate to the cool, hip kids out there)

• Banned User

DISNEY HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS
    Rides
    1. The Great Movie Ride
    2. Star Tours

4. Muppet Vision 3D
    14. Fantasmic!

Rides
    3. Flik's Flyers
    8. California Screamin'
    9. Mickey's Fun Wheel
    10. Mulholland Madness
    12. Golden Zephyr
    14. Jumpin' Jellyfish
    16. Grizzly River Run

3. Muppet Vision 3D
    5. Animation Academy
    6. Character Close-Up
    7. Sorcerer's Workshop
    12. World of Color
    16. The Bakery Tour

Wow, that IS a great list! It really shows how DHS is really behind in the ride department, especially for a park that is now over 20 years old. And I agree, it is definitely the weakest part of WDW. That said, I do cut it more slack than I do DCA. For one thing, its the 3rd park built at WDW, behind two complete full day parks and a bunch other things to do at WDW in general. DCA was built to turn DLR into a multi-day resort and it really didnt do that. I mean, I'm sure some people stayed an extra day for it, but no one never needed a full day to see it and most people just squeezed it in with DL anyway. DHS wasnt built as a full day park on purpose and was only meant to be a half day park. DCA was really meant to keep people in the park all day. How the hell that was suppose to happen ur guess is as good as mine lol. I did it full day once, the first time I went and I was done with everything after 4 hours. By the end of the night I was repeating things 2, 3, sometimes 4 times!

As for as the ride count, again DHS does rely on too many shows, but they ARE quality shows for the most part. But a lack of rides, not just DHS, but DAK and even Epcot is why MK is always the most popular. Its not just the charm of the park, although a huge reason, but it simply has the most rides and that everyone can do. Epcot falls a lot since there is only about dozen ride attractions tops and the rest are movies and exhibits mostly. I mean great stuff, but not a place to get the body moving. And then DAK and DHS just drop off even steeper. So with the exception of MK, the parks in general are pretty bare in the attraction dept compared to DLR. DCA did have a lot of bare bones rides, but its making up for it and the place still has more attractions than all the other parks that came after it like HKDL and WDSP, the crappiest Disney park ever built!

Getting back to the studio thing, like others said, this theme has never been hugely popular, so why change it to that anyway? Universal gets away with it because the original has a real backlot and the other versions have done a much better job with the theme, especially in Japan. But for Disney the studio theme has been mixed at best.

• Lion

I love DHS. I love the "Hollywood that never was" aspect of it. The NY Street and the backlot tour are the downsides, but there are so many things about it that I love. It's a gorgeous park at night - ToT, Sunset Blvd, Echo Lake area, Star Tours and it's amazing Ewok village and AT-AT, the area around Muppetvision is absolutely beautiful with the fountain and everything and it feels SO Muppety. There are several nooks and crannies in DHS that get overlooked, I think. It's really a beautiful park.

It has some of my all time favorite attractions - Great Movie Ride and Muppetvision, both of which are unfortunately starting to feel dated as much as I still love them. ToT and RNR Coaster are two fantastic attractions of which DLR has no equal. Indy stunt show is still fun despite itself being dated. The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast shows are well done. Of course there's Fantasmic. Star Tours. I even think they did a great job with the new Pixar Studios area, making it much warmer and losing the blank-studio-building feel.

I don't know. While Epcot and MK are my two favorite parks at WDW, DHS is not far behind in terms of loving the feel. Especially at night, that park absolutely shines. They did the whimsical tribute to Hollywood PERFECTLY in most areas of that park. The NY Street and the building facades is nothing special, and the backlot tour isn't much these days (it was a little better with the facades of the different houses) and Catastrophe Canyon is awfully dated and rundown compared to when it was new.

Ultimately, the "real studio" element of the park never worked out. But the rest, to be honest, is fantastic and I think it gets totally short changed. There's quite a bit of solid entertainment at DHS and 75% of the park is absolutely stunning at night. The Star Tours area, Muppetvision, Echo Lake, Sunset Blvd have some of the best lighting and feel of any Disney park. The area in and around Tower of Terror at night rivals DL's Haunted Mansion. It's creepy, moody, the music is fantastic the way the queue meanders through a dark wooded area up the little hill... Some of the fondest images I have of WDW and any Disney park in general come from different night memories of DHS.

Just for fun, here are a few examples of what I mean if you want to take a look.

Muppet Vision 3D at Night | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Sunset on Echo Lake | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Walt Disney World - Disney's Hollywood Studios - Crossroads of the World | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Imagine, If you will | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ES4JylQpqi...rror-night.jpg

Anyway, this brings me back to the topic of this thread, the new DCA entrance. I think it's a great choice to copy the Pan Pacific similar to DHS's entrance. It's a gorgeous art-deco piece of architecture that fits the theme of "bygone era" perfectly.

Full Size: http://oi55.tinypic.com/nyfrip.jpg

It showcases the neon lighting in such a way that's so inviting. It will compliment the new Buena Vista Street as well as echo some elements of Carsland even. It's perfect and it will be beautiful.

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Can someone please explain to me how Muppet*Vision 3D feels dated. I know it opened in 1992 at (then) MGM Studios but it doesn't look old to me or have anything that hasn't been around for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• Lion

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
    Can someone please explain to me how Muppet*Vision 3D feels dated. I know it opened in 1992 at (then) MGM Studios but it doesn't look old to me or have anything that hasn't been around for a long time.
    Waldo, for example. The 3D technology he's made from doesn't hold up any more. The 3D-film technology used wasn't the best either. Blurry images, ghosting, etc make for a sub-par presentation. Modern technology (the digital 3D technology that's present in many theaters these days) should be the standard for 3D shows at Disney parks. The older, film-based 3D should be long gone already. If it's in regular movie theaters across the country, there's no excuse for Disney not using it in their theme parks. None.

As far as the "Muppet" element of the movie (the content), it's fine. The plot and stuff like that still hold up well, especially if you're a muppet fan because Jim Henson worked on it (voices and production). Aside from Waldo, it's great in that regard.

Basically the technology and presentation of Muppetvision is lacking. Considering the film is in more than one Disney park, and if they plan on keeping it around, they should go back to the original film masters, clean them up and make the switch to Digital 3D. That would go a long way in improving the experience. They've updated other attractions technologically (upgraded Animatronics, Leota, the singing busts, special effects in the Fantasyland attractions, projectors on Fantasmic, new Murphy, etc), so it's not unprecedented.

• MiceChat Moderator

I will give you that California Adventure has the edge in terms of numbers. (In fact I think you can shrink Hollywood Studios by 1...I'm pretty sure Sounds Dangerous is closed or at least closing soon. I was there in the peak summer season and it wasn't open once.)

But in terms of quality, I would argue that the Studios has the edge. A lot of those DCA attractions were done first and better at DHS (Toy Story, Tower, Muppets) Many of them are prety much "kiddie" rides that while they are fun are not "let's do that again" fun (Flick's Flyers, Golden Zephyr, Jumping Jellyfish). In contrast you have things like the Indy show and Lights, Motor, Action that are "this is awesome" type attractions. Or Rockin' Roller Coaster that makes you want to ride again and again. I will grant DCA has Soarin, World of Color, and (arguably) Screamin' that have that "wow" factor.

The more I think about it though, I realize it's just opinion. I happen to like that "Hollywood" theme. I enjoy that. I read that you guys feel it ruins the magic, but I like that "behind the scenes" stuff. I will listen to commentary tracks and watch director Q & A's. I find little insights into the process fascinating. I can see how it's not everyone's cup of tea...but I'll be happy to drink your share

Also upon reflection, I'd say Animal Kingdom is also weaker than Studios. I spent one day there and felt like I really took it all in, I went back to the Studios at least 3 times.

Also, also...when I say one of these is the "weakest" park, it's like saying that guy is the "weakest" MMA fighter...he may not be as strong as the other guys, but he can sure as heck kick some serious butt. (Does that make sense? I don't really follow MMA, but I wanted to relate to the cool, hip kids out there)

Yah, I understand your point. DHS is still a fun park but due to all the shows, the repeat factor isn't as strong. I'd only go back for the thrill rides.

The Hollywood & Sunset Blvd aspect of the park is what I love. The REAL golden age of a time long gone is what I love about it. Everything else doesn't do it for me. I think one "land" should be devoted to an actual backlot but not 75% of the park.

And I love director commentary and Q&A and behind the scenes too. I just don't think it works as well as experiencing authentic magic. It's kind of like going to a land that just spoils all the magic tricks. It's great for one area (as mentioned above) and in smaller doses.

For example to further my point, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast live, Playhouse Disney.... what is the purpose of having these in a "studio" park? These could very well exist in Fantasyland of the Magic Kingdom and make more thematic sense. My problem with a "studios" park is that it's just too random.

What I'm trying \to say is... any land in a Disney park should be worthy of a movie location. An authentic look is the most important. Having everything within a sound stage is just lazy theming. Where DHS is backlots and studios, every other park seems to be "on location" which I very much prefer.

So anyway.... back to the point of this thread, I don't think we'll see a name change for DCA. At least not in 2012. The image of the park has shifted almost 180 degrees among locals and as long as the place is popular, there's no need to change the name.

p.s. Not sure which one opened first but Midway Mania was made for DCA. So I dunno if I would go so far as say that DHS's is the original.

• Minion

I love the behind the scenes stuff, too . In fact, I think it was the "Making of" specials on TV that got me obsessed with Disney movies and theme parks even more than the actual movies and parks themselves.

So I would be very interested in studios park or land (not having DCA become one, but maybe a small part of Hollywoodland, where the "studio" part of HPB is now) with attractions that were actually about movie production. But I still don't see the thematic benefit of walking onto a fake set with a sign that reads "this is a fake set!", and then entering a movie-based attraction just like those I would find at a non-studios park or land, which has nothing to do with how movies are made. Especially when I walk into the "studio" section of HPB and see Monster's Inc., and the set (even if we pretend an animated movie has a physical set) is of the opening credits. Seriously, who builds a set of the opening credits?
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

@ Coheteboy
    Toy Story Mania opened at the Hollywood Studios first.
    Disney's Hollywood Studios - May 31, 2008
    Disney California Adventure - June 17, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!