Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 31825262728

• Nutty about Disney parks

Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

I guess a studios park (that really focuses on behind the scenes stuff) would've made a lot more sense being in Anaheim than it does in Orlando since Anaheim is much closer to the Disney Studios. It's a shame no one thought from this logic. Had the Studios park been made as Anaheim's second gate instead of Orlando's third gate it probably would've stand out from today's DHS and WDS parks respectively...and the upkeep by management would've been better too.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Banned User

Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

This will be long, but hear me out:

I don't know why this hasnt happend yet, its always seemed like a no-brainer to me, but I do wonder why Disney hasnt made a theme park based solely on animation? Like an animation movie/TV park, all based solely on their characters. I mean, just get it out of the way already!! They have 50 animated movies, hundreds of short films, tons of animated TV and Saturday morning shows and of course Pixar to mine through and they can build something amazing with all of that.

And its not like it just has to be one big Fantasyland either. Far from that, they can model the park the same way DL was modeled and have a Main St, TL, FrL, AL, etc type lands but based all on animation concepts. A TL type land, for example, would be based on their sci-fi, futuristic characters. Imagine a Stitch attraction, a Wall E show, an Atlantis E ticket, an Incredibles mini-land and on and on. Another land could be an animation movie backlot sort of like Toontown. Since TT is where they live, this is now showing where they work, with an animation studio included like in DCA. And like DHS, they can have more character shows like TLM and BaTB all over the park in different lands. People been talking for years about having an all villians theme park, which I think wouldnt work as an entire park, but it would be PERFECT for this theme park as one big land. It would have all the big coasters and thrill rides, etc. Someone wrote somewhere a great idea for a Jack Skellington area and theme ride like HMH all year long instead of converting HM every holiday...well now u got it! It could be a sub land to the Villians area. And other lands based on one film like FFF, Carsland and Mermaid Lagoon in TDS does now would be a NO BRAINER in this park! They can even build one giant princess area which the Fantasyland expansion in WDW basically is anyway, so this would work great in this park and would be different from the other MK Fantasyland since it wouldnt be the same Barvarian style of execution and can include new Princesses like Repunzel and Princess Tiana.

Actually kind of getting back on topic with the OP, I actually THOUGHT this is what they were trying to do with DCA and just turn it into an animation movie theme park when it was first announced. Think about it, WHEN the entrance was called Walt Disney Plaza and not BVS, it would be the introduction into the man who started it all and as Main St was where Walt grew up, WDP would be where he came to work and created the famous characters and studio we know today. NOW that we know his classic characters like Oswald will represent this area with names of the store fronts (and I imagine walk around characters as well) to Cathay Theater being there which we all know Snow White premiered in (and maybe a showing of the movie of some kind?), its obvious they were going this direction anyway. I thought HPB would just be turned into an animation studios land since 90% of what is there is toon related anyway. They couldve turned the street where RCT will go down leading into Hyperion a nice retheme of Walt Disney Studios when Walt was alive in phase 2 and the area with Muppets, Monsters Inc, etc, just be the animation backlot and throw in any toon ride they wanted. PP would just be kind of a hodge podge of classic characters like the Fab Five and stuff like TLM and TSM, like it all is now, but Scremin would have a villians theme of some kind and the entire area renamed to fit the theme better. And remember, there was a time PP was going to get a complete Pixar remake instead. And stuff like FFF and CL would fit in perfectly now. There wouldnt be any clash to their themes. The only land that wouldve been out of place was GRR and I'm sure in time they couldve found a way to influence it with more of a toon pressence other than Brother Bear. I guess the warf area too looks a little odd being too modern and toonless, but again, not a huge issue and couldve rethemed it in time. And look at all of DCA's top shows: Alladin, Pixar Parade and WOC. I mean, yeah! Now look at the smaller shows, everything from Playhouse Disney, to the 3D films and talking with Crush, this park is 90% toons with the shows alone.

So its not like I didnt get what RW was trying to say, of course I did! I couldve easily saw them going this route as I thought they kind of were until about a year ago. NOT a studio based park, just an animation park where u live in the characters world full time. And honestly this basically what DCA has turned out to be: An animation park themed to California. Its kind of a hodge podge of the two now. Again, GRR is really the only true area that is just about Cali and toonless, but who the hell knows what will happen with it in phase two? But yes, the park is still very much about Cali as the land themselves are very relevant to that theme as they been in day one, just the attractions themselves are now different. But sure, IF they wanted to just go in a general animation movie direction, it wouldnt have been hard at all! Just change some of the names around the lands like BVS back to WDP, expand Condor Flats into GRR, give the whole area a toon theme like maybe one of those old Disney shorts where Mickey and the gang went camping and Viola, u now have an animation park. It couldve been very easy to do.

But that didnt quite happen, although its mighty close. As far as an animation park, I'm not suggesting it would be in DLR NOW or even WDW. Because now those parks are so littered with toons it would feel a little redundant unless they remove some of that stuff to put in a new park, and that would never happen. BUT I could see Hong Kong get that sort of park for their second gate for example, or easily DLP third gate. Who knows what is going on with Shanghai, but since its ALL about getting Chinese people familar with Disney characters, I'm guessing Shanghai will be heavily themed to movies and toons already. But I would love to just see them build an animation park already. I mean all Disney has been doing is squeezing in every animation character in every park for the last decade, from Finding Nemo in TL to awkwardly throw Pixar character in a theme park based on California, so now they wouldnt have to do that anymore! Just bite the bullet already and just build an entire park just for these properties and it would make their jobs a lot easier.
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 01-23-2011 at 06:08 PM.

• Dream in wonderful color!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
    @ Coheteboy
    Toy Story Mania opened at the Hollywood Studios first.
    Disney's Hollywood Studios - May 31, 2008
    Disney California Adventure - June 17, 2008
    Yes, it opened at the Studios first. But the concept of the Midway attraction was originally designed for DCA (Paradise Pier.)
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    I don't know why this hasnt happend yet, its always seemed like a no-brainer to me, but I do wonder why Disney hasnt made a theme park based solely on animation? Like an animation movie/TV park, all based solely on their characters.
    They're making it happen it as fast as they can. It's called the Disneyland Resort.

True, it may take them a while to fix all those bothersome non-character rides from Walt's era, but give 'em time.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

LOL, I know Mr. Wiggins, which is why I dont get why they dont bite the bullet and just BUILD ONE!! I mean, talking about the studios theme like we been doing, it was obvious it was nothing more than a front to showcase their movies and TV shows, which is fine! So, since they obviously want to showcase more and more animated movies, especially Pixar, just make one general animation theme park. Not just one based on Pixar as that can look dated in time, just build a park based on their entire library of animated characters instead of trying to squeeze them in places like Epcot and DCA where they obviously were never meant to be. I can only imagine what they can do with a park like that? And with lands like Mermaid Lagoon in TDS to Carsland already in theme parks, they go crazy building those big lands in a park themed just for them.

I think if they could go back to the drawing board of Disneylands second gate and of course not knowing at the time how big and influential of a property Pixar would end up being, I'm sure things would be very different for the second gate and we probably would have something closer to a studio/animation theme today. But like I said, just drop the studio theme entirely or just make it a small part of the park like HPB is. And dont focus on the live action stuff and just keep it about the animation properties since even today 90% of movie properties that get developed in the parks are animation based anyway. I cant remember the last time an actual ride was based on a live action movie? Tron MIGHT be the first one built in over a decade. Maybe even two decades now! Its all about the animation movies and characters these days.

Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post
    Anyway, this brings me back to the topic of this thread, the new DCA entrance. I think it's a great choice to copy the Pan Pacific similar to DHS's entrance. It's a gorgeous art-deco piece of architecture that fits the theme of "bygone era" perfectly.

Full Size: http://oi55.tinypic.com/nyfrip.jpg

It showcases the neon lighting in such a way that's so inviting. It will compliment the new Buena Vista Street as well as echo some elements of Carsland even. It's perfect and it will be beautiful.

I agree, the new entrance will compliment Buena vista street well and will give DCA a distinctive entrance that will set it apart from Disneyland.

I do think that the DCA entrance will also look much better than the DHS entrance. DCA will not have the big boxy ticket booths and the awkwardly done roofline that the DHS version has.

here is the DCA artwork

http://micechat.com/forums/members/m...A9-disney.html

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I agree, the new entrance will compliment Buena vista street well and will give DCA a distinctive entrance that will set it apart from Disneyland.

I do think that the DCA entrance will also look much better than the DHS entrance. DCA will not have the big boxy ticket booths and the awkwardly done roofline that the DHS version has.

here is the DCA artwork

http://micechat.com/forums/members/m...A9-disney.html

The upcoming DCA entrance is perfect (apart from tje possibility that the California reference may be discarded to give way to a new park name). The new entrance is far more streemlined than the former cardboard cut-out looking entryway.

I also agree that the DCA entrance and marque is every bit as classy as Disneyland's. I love the blurgreen color. The lighting should look brilliant at night. I'll happily sashay thru the gate on my way to catching a trolley - which also will look fantastic lit up at nightime.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 02-06-2011 at 08:14 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I guess a studios park (that really focuses on behind the scenes stuff) would've made a lot more sense being in Anaheim than it does in Orlando since Anaheim is much closer to the Disney Studios. It's a shame no one thought from this logic. Had the Studios park been made as Anaheim's second gate instead of Orlando's third gate it probably would've stand out from today's DHS and WDS parks respectively...and the upkeep by management would've been better too.
    It's never too late. Let's hope the park switches over officially to a movie theme. We'll know come next year.

• long time listener

I have to disagree with the excitement for the Pan Pacific entrance. For me, it is unoriginal to copy the entrance to Florida, and then once you enter the "Pan Pacific" gates, you experience 3 more theaters in a row (Carthay, Disney Theater, Hyperion.) Real overkill. Granted they serve different purposes, but really? 4 theaters/ replicas all in a row? Not necessary at all. I think they could have been a tad more creative. To me, old L.A. theaters aren't so fascinating to make 4 of them in such close proximity.

And always remember the law of the jungle - Don't Be a Zebra!

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceProject View Post
    I have to disagree with the excitement for the Pan Pacific entrance. For me, it is unoriginal to copy the entrance to Florida, and then once you enter the "Pan Pacific" gates, you experience 3 more theaters in a row (Carthay, Disney Theater, Hyperion.) Real overkill. Granted they serve different purposes, but really? 4 theaters/ replicas all in a row? Not necessary at all. I think they could have been a tad more creative. To me, old L.A. theaters aren't so fascinating to make 4 of them in such close proximity.
    That was my feeling too but everytime I brought it up, everyone kept misinterpreting my posts as me saying that BVS was just a copycat of DHS's Hollywood Boulevard. Granted I still stand by my belief that there are a few similarities. I still would've preferred maybe like an entryway more in tuned to classic California architecture...like made of marble with the missionary rooftops or something like that. Heck they could've reincorporated the mural into the entryway in bits and pieces here and there and I wouldnt have mind it.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Los Angeles was full of elaborately themed theaters i don't see why it would make it overkill to have the same representation along BVS and hollywood blvd in DCA.

I'm actually happy that at least Disney is trying to bring back some of those iconic facades that the city of los angeles has beglected and left to rot or be destroyed with no care for the cities history. It is such a shame to see some of these lavish buildings turned into homeless shelters and indoor swapmeets while others continue to decay.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Los Angeles was full of elaborately themed theaters i don't see why it would make it overkill to have the same representation along BVS and hollywood blvd in DCA.

I'm actually happy that at least Disney is trying to bring back some of those iconic facades that the city of los angeles has beglected and left to rot or be destroyed with no care for the cities history. It is such a shame to see some of these lavish buildings turned into homeless shelters and indoor swapmeets while others continue to decay.
    Excellent points all, Baloo. There's certainly growing plentitude of exceptional rides and other non-theater attractions to entertain, intrigue and make happy each guest that sets foot in this transitional park. If anyone doesn't care for some or all of the theaters, they certainly have plenty of other options. As you have expressed, DCA presents park guests the opportunity to experience and celebrate the likenesses of these landmark/or new theaters - especially when life hasn't been good to the originals.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Lol still with the movie theme?

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Lol still with the movie theme?
    I drag it around like a rag doll. hee hee!

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 31825262728