Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 419
  1. #31

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,466

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Some micechatters have a better imagination .. than the dope who's recreating WDW's DHS's Pan Pacific entrance!

    It was a big topic .. somebody here created a Union Station/Spanish Designed entrance .. which is really more fitting to the 1920s Walt Disney Buena Vista Street theme.

    Whatever happened to originality???

    Oh .. here's a great idea ... Just do a copy of DHS's entrance

    .......... yippie

    IDIOTS!

    I just can't think of a better word.

    And I'm even more dumbfounded than anyone here can possibly imagine.

    Dropping the 's to DISNEY CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE - ????

    Oh wow! Whoever thought of that brilliant stroke of genius should get the "Bean Soup" Special for free at the commissary at the Burbank studio!

    Then afterwards .... their farts can match that genius bit that came out of their other end.
    A Union Station / Spanish Design would be much warmer and fun than art deco-rated.



    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    Toonaspie, don't be so melodramatic! The new design is not an EXACT replica of the DHS entrance. If you look at the released materiel it is CLEAR that SEVERAL of the trash cans are positioned in different spots than DHS.
    Will the Tomorrowland trash can band be performing there?

    Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    I've always enjoyed looking at the Pan Pacific art deco design. I was able to visit the building on several occasions, having worked closeby to it. So, at least, I can visit the Pan Pacific entrance and see a familiar iconic look. Better than letters.
    Lot's of designs would be better than the letters. the Pan Pacific design is wonderful at WDW. But, why not something completely different for the new entrance of whatever park name replaces DCA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I don't get why the name thing keeps coming up. Two things are true:
    a) Although not impossible, a name change is extremely unlikely for a long list of reasons.
    b) There has been nothing that even hints toward a new name for DCA.
    Prior to it's sudden announcement, there was nothing that hinted at the Hollywood Studios moniker either. As a matter of fact nothing has ever been hinted that Bob Iger considers anything that the brain thrust of Michael Eisner and Paul Pressler had ever created amounted to anything other than a pile of cow patties.

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Don't tell them I told you, but their plan is to rename every park, Disney Park. It will save a ton of money on marketing and help unify the brand. It will also make the parks sound cool by having the names sound more like software releases, which they've done research that shows these names are very popular with tween girls. Thus Disneyland is soon to become, Disney Park 1.50, Magic Kingdom will be Disney Park 2.30 and DCA will be Disney Park 8.20.
    As long as there's a reasonably priced Disney Park-ing lot, the non-descriptness wouldn't be so bad.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  2. #32

    •   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    9,022
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    The Studios name change came about because Disney and MGM went seperate ways... Hardly a sudden, out of the air change.

  3. #33

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,466

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    So wait, your saying that if they go about renaming the place, they should pick a name that only kinda fits half the park? A "studio" name is well of the mark from what the park is, or will be (going off of the releases we have), and therefore would make a poor new park name. Considering that they dropped the S and redrew the logo, all solid facts are pointing toward keeping the old name. We have a clear view of what they are planning to do with each land, so discounting those facts leads away from what is likely to happen. There is no way that a Victorian Pier featuring the Fab Five fits in any way, shape or form with a Studio park.... Also, how is "California Adventure" redundant?




    Does this mean that we can assume Disney is planning to do anything they want and they just haven't finalized the design or are waiting to spring it on us? Without any solid hints (let alone the hints to the contrary), this is just an excuse for no real basis.
    All of California is a California Adventure. Therefore, a park theme to that order is rather redundant, watered down and meaningless. Why is it that there is no Disney Florida Adventure, or Tokyo Adventure, or Paris Adventure, or Hong Kong Adventure? It's because the idea reaks of headcheese.

    Contrary to the impression you seem to have gathered, Trevor, I'm not bent on a Studio park renaming of DCA. Believe me, I would rather see a far more unique retheming. I just made an observation that Disney seems to have set a trend in giving resorts that have more that one park a Studios name. DCA is potentially in line to follow the trend set by Walt Disney Studios and Hollywood Studios. I would welcome that change - and the end to the outcry by a few that everything at DCA has to fit the California theme. Nevertheless as I said, it would be even more desirable to banish the DCA albatross by replacing it with a creative moniker other than one that has the word "Studios" attached to it.

    Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy View Post
    Personally I do not see a name change at all besides the drop of the 's because marketing would actually insist on a name change happening at the beginning of the redesign as in here is the name and here is what we are building to match the name!

    If we are playing the what would you name it game then I say name it Disney's Adventure Park!
    Disney creatives didn't rebuild the entryway first. Instead, a temporary entryway is what they built - and the new one isn't scheduled to be completed until the final phase (Cars Land) is completed in 2012. The problem with following conventional wisdom is that it is always changing. Why should one not expect a park rebuilding that is occuring backwards to not be renamed toward the end rather than the beginning? Just the same, I like your Disney's Adventure Park quite a lot, mickdaddy. That's viably classy - and I mean it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    If I were to rename it, I would be careful about how the Disney tag is worked into the title. Disney's Animal Kingdom and DisneySEA are examples of titles that nicely incorporate the tag, while Disney California Adventure is an example of awkwardly fitting it in.

    That being said, California or some refrence to it, should stay. BVS, The National Park, Hollywoodland, The Wharf and Paradise Pier all perfectly fit the California theme. Carsland gets a half pass and Bugsland had better be too short lived to matter, even though there is nothing specifically barring it from being in California.

    From that, I don't see the need for each ride to scream California as long as it both meshes with the land it occupies and has no hint or mention on the attraction, in the film that spawned the attraction, or in other literature that says it is not in California. That is still an extremely broad spectrum to draw from putting very few limits on creativity. When the tourist market comes back and the AP price shoots up, it will make a lot more sense overall. I know some locals are confused by the theme choice, but its for the out of state guests, and they will eat it up when it is done correctly.

    Also, I find Disney('s) California Adventure far to wordy. Nine syllables is far too many and guests easily mash it up or don't know the proper name. A short title that can be said without the "Disney('s)" and is based off a slogan or title is much more likely to stick in someone's head. Some prime Disney examples of this are DisneySEA which is an obvioius play on Disneyland, the Magic Kingdom which draws roots from fairy tails, and Disney's Animal Kingdom, a genious play on the term Animal Kingdom and the Magic Kingdom.

    Back to DCA.

    If the national park can become one cohesive land with rich, lush theming while the feel of NoS and Mainstreet is replicated in BVS and Hollywoodland... If Paradise Pier can become encapsulating in charm, taking you out of now and into the past.. then a name that draws of the allure and promise of California, well away from the DCA formula should be adopted. Something like Disney's Golden State is sort of good, but it leaves room to be messed around with. Maybe Disney GoldenState could be adopted to make it more memorable.
    Well, we both agree that Disney's California Adventure and it's DCA offshoot stink.

    Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    I liked the letters, really very sad to see them go. I get that they don't fit the look that they are going for, but it doesn't discount that fact that the park was designed to celebrate the great state of California. Oh well, maybe I can buy a 'L' for my son and put it on my front lawn.
    Keep in mind that there is no other park in the Disney universe that limit's it's theming capacity to the state or region that it exists in. This gives me claustrophobia just thinking about it.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  4. #34

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,466

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    The Studios name change came about because Disney and MGM went seperate ways... Hardly a sudden, out of the air change.
    The Studios portion still remains...and Disney's Hollywood Studios is more streamlined and relative. The decision to change the name, yet keep the Studios connection, did occur pretty much in a flash and a dash. The suits easily could have removed the Studios reference.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  5. #35

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,260

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    I know u really want the name change and there was a time I thought it would happen too, but like the others, I just dont see it anymore. All they done is enhance the theme. True, its still watered down, but the park is still about Cali. If they planned to change the theme, I dont see the point of dropping the S and changing the logo if in two years they are going to rehaul it anyway?

    Like to be proven wrong, but doubt I will.

  6. #36

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,260

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    All of California is a California Adventure. Therefore, a park theme to that order is rather redundant, watered down and meaningless. Why is it that there is no Disney Florida Adventure, or Tokyo Adventure, or Paris Adventure, or Hong Kong Adventure? It's because the idea reaks of headcheese.

    Contrary to the impression you seem to have gathered, Trevor, I'm not bent on a Studio park renaming of DCA. Believe me, I would rather see a far more unique retheming. I just made an observation that Disney seems to have set a trend in giving resorts that have more that one park a Studios name. DCA is potentially in line to follow the trend set by Walt Disney Studios and Hollywood Studios. I would welcome that change - and the end to the outcry by a few that everything at DCA has to fit the California theme. Nevertheless as I said, it would be even more desirable to banish the DCA albatross by replacing it with a creative moniker other than one that has the word "Studios" attached to it.
    No offense man, but these arguments are pretty weak. There isnt a Tokyo Adventure becasue people were smart enough not to make one. But like it or not, and I'm guessing not lol, we do have a California Adventure. Of course its redundent and I dont think it shouldve been built either, but its there and its not going anywhere. I would like a name change just for perception purposes and they are starting anew, but if they kept the name its relevant.

    And the two studio parks were named that because they built two studio parks. DCA is nowhere close to a studio theme. I know yeah lots of toons everywehre, but it doesnt make it a studio park. BVS, PP, GRR and CL suppose to mimick real areas in (or near ) Cali. HPB isnt even the biggest area in the park. No offense, I dont like the DCA name, but I would HATE a studio name because it would feel even more out of place IMO.
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 12-16-2010 at 03:17 AM.

  7. #37

    • Kingdom Comedian
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    942

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    All of California is a California Adventure.
    Sooooooo not true. I have traveled up and down California many times...and not all of it is an adventure. In fact, you could make an hour long ride called "Boring Over California." So distilling the California experience into an adventure is indeed a fun theme idea.

    That being said, if they were going to change the name, I'd have them put the 's back and drop the Adventure and make it simply, "Disney's California." That way, the park is a representation of what California would be like if Disney created it. Or California as seen through the prism of the Disney perspective.

  8. #38

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,260

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by timbabbcomedian View Post
    That being said, if they were going to change the name, I'd have them put the 's back and drop the Adventure and make it simply, "Disney's California." That way, the park is a representation of what California would be like if Disney created it. Or California as seen through the prism of the Disney perspective.
    I agree with this! And there WAS a time there was talk of changing the name to something similar like 'Walt Disney's California', adding the full name, when the announcement of the expansion first came out. I guess they have rethought that title, but if its still a possibility I wouldnt mind that title at all actually. It sounds more classy and as u said it shows Calif from their perspective which the revamp is basically doing anyway.
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 12-16-2010 at 03:25 AM.

  9. #39

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,466

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    I know u really want the name change and there was a time I thought it would happen too, but like the others, I just dont see it anymore. All they done is enhance the theme. True, its still watered down, but the park is still about Cali. If they planned to change the theme, I dont see the point of dropping the S and changing the logo if in two years they are going to rehaul it anyway?

    Like to be proven wrong, but doubt I will.
    Where is the "Disney" California Adventure Sign? It's not to be found at the park. In two years, Disney will be free to rehaul the Eisner/Pressler DCA name brainchild if it so likes...and that is a strong likelihood. During the Eisner/Pressler era, I would agree with you...because everything stayed the same back then. In the Iger/Lasseter era, change happens all the time.


    Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    No offense man, but these arguments are pretty weak. There isnt a Tokyo Adventure becasue people were smart enough not to make one. But like it or not, and I'm guessing not lol, we do have a California Adventure. Of course its redundent and I dont think it shouldve been built either, but its there and its not going anywhere. I would like a name change just for perception purposes and they are starting anew, but if they kept the name its relevant.

    And the two studio parks were named that because they built two studio parks. DCA is nowhere close to a studio theme. I know yeah lots of toons everywehre, but it doesnt make it a studio park. BVS, PP, GRR and CL suppose to mimick real areas in (or near ) Cali. HPB isnt even the biggest area in the park. No offense, I dont like the DCA name, but I would HATE a studio name because it would feel even more out of place IMO.
    In terms of new attractions, DCA is fast becoming more of a studio park than Hollywood Studios and Walt Disney Studios put together. Currently, it's newest attractions (World of Color and ElecTRONica) are respectively based on a tv show and a movie, with WoC being the most popular attraction in the park's history.

    Nevertheless, I would be happy with a non-studio name...as long as it's not one that secerely limits the theming...such as anything that has the word California in it.

    Quote Originally Posted by timbabbcomedian View Post
    Sooooooo not true. I have traveled up and down California many times...and not all of it is an adventure. In fact, you could make an hour long ride called "Boring Over California." So distilling the California experience into an adventure is indeed a fun theme idea.

    That being said, if they were going to change the name, I'd have them put the 's back and drop the Adventure and make it simply, "Disney's California." That way, the park is a representation of what California would be like if Disney created it. Or California as seen through the prism of the Disney perspective.
    Love your "Boring Over California" quip, Timbabb. Much of California is a wonderful and exciting adventure. Refusing to acknowledge the redundancy and limited theme issues surrounding a park that is purely centered on the state or region it is in does not support the conclusion that change is only a remote possibility, and one that should not be explored anyway.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  10. #40

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,884
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by kibia16 View Post
    They did change the name. They removed the " 's " and made a new logo.

    New Name and Logo:



    Old Name and Logo:

    Why does it look like the CALIFORNIA letters that were out front experienced an earthquake?

  11. #41

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,884
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    The Studios name change came about because Disney and MGM went seperate ways... Hardly a sudden, out of the air change.
    Disney's Usedtobe Studios Park in Florida would have been a better name.

    Unless Disney builds soundstages in Anaheim and actually shoots tv shows and movies in DCA and unless they make it a real working studio with theme park rides attached, calling the place a STUDIOS PARK would be ridiculous, Warrior.

    Epic fail, Warrior. Come to LA, let me take you on a tour of a real working motion picture studio and show you DCA the next day, and then I'll ask you if they are in any way the same thing. Just because Universal is both a real studio and a theme park doesn't mean you should call a theme park without a real studio a "studio theme park".

  12. #42

    • =)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,290

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Disney's dumping of the huge California lettering is an indicative clue that the name will be dropped everywhere.
    I disagree. Its neighbor doesn't have huge DISNEYLAND letters in front of its entrance, but that's its name nonetheless. Although a name change for DCA certainly seems like a possibility, I don't think we should read into the removal of letters as being anything more than an aesthetic choice. [EDIT: And an acknowledgment that many of the park's more recent additions are not California-focused.]

    Now, I think I've already expressed my opinion on DCA's name in the past, but I'll restate it briefly: Changing the Disney California Adventure moniker would cost quite a bit of money and effort, so that it would only be a worthwhile move if the new name perfectly encapsulated the concept and ongoing creative direction of the entire park in a way that was memorable and marketable and attractive. I haven't come up with or heard of a name that meets those requirements.
    Last edited by Datameister; 12-16-2010 at 12:39 PM.


  13. #43

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,260

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Where is the "Disney" California Adventure Sign? It's not to be found at the park. In two years, Disney will be free to rehaul the Eisner/Pressler DCA name brainchild if it so likes...and that is a strong likelihood. During the Eisner/Pressler era, I would agree with you...because everything stayed the same back then. In the Iger/Lasseter era, change happens all the time.
    That's still a pretty weak argument. As someone said, where is the sign in DL? On top of that, they are changing everything else. Again, why go through the motions of a new logo and slight name change if they are going to change it in a few years? They COULD change it, but it doesnt seem to be any proof they will so far. They took away the letters for thematic reasons and it wouldnt fit the new entrance. Dont read too much into it.

    In terms of new attractions, DCA is fast becoming more of a studio park than Hollywood Studios and Walt Disney Studios put together. Currently, it's newest attractions (World of Color and ElecTRONica) are respectively based on a tv show and a movie, with WoC being the most popular attraction in the park's history.

    Nevertheless, I would be happy with a non-studio name...as long as it's not one that secerely limits the theming...such as anything that has the word California in it.
    How does PP, GRR and CL remotely fit in a studios park?? These areas are as far away as u can get from one. Just because they are adding more toons doesnt make it one. They are also adding more Pixar rides at TDS and Fantasmic will be added next year as well, none of that changes its theme.

    I will say it again, I would like a name change too but at the moment there is NO proof they are changing the name. Dropping big California letters doesnt mean much of anything.

  14. #44

    • Kingdom Comedian
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    942

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Much of California is a wonderful and exciting adventure. Refusing to acknowledge the redundancy and limited theme issues surrounding a park that is purely centered on the state or region it is in does not support the conclusion that change is only a remote possibility, and one that should not be explored anyway.

    How can you say that California is a wonderful and exciting adventure and then in the next sentence say that it's a theme that shouldn't be explored? (At least, I think that' what you're saying. That was a n epic run-on sentence friend.)

    That's like saying, "Yeah art is great but why would I go to a museum when art is everywhere?" The point is, to create the many varied "adventures" you could have throughout the state of California but be able to do them all in one day. You couldn't see Monterey, Yosemite, Hollywood, and Santa Monica all in one day...but you can in this park. Theme is not the problem, execution is the problem.

  15. #45

    •   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    9,022
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by timbabbcomedian View Post
    Sooooooo not true. I have traveled up and down California many times...and not all of it is an adventure. In fact, you could make an hour long ride called "Boring Over California." So distilling the California experience into an adventure is indeed a fun theme idea.

    [...]
    Couldn't the same be said about anywhere? Everywhere in the world has both amazing and boring parts to it. Its hard to deny however that the West coast has a lot of amazing natural things to do. California for this reason was a great theme to go for.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •