Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

What ARE the plans for the letters? I for one love them and hate to see them go. Since my son, Aidan, was one (the first year of the park), we have taken his picture in, or in front of the "A." If they'll just be moved, we can still visit for future photos. So glad to be visiting next week to see them again before they go.

• Cowboy, Bear, Pirate, etc

Lightbulb Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

Don't forget that the park that was in Imagineering's mind prior to the development of DCA was Disney's America. Al did a couple of articles on this where he demonstrated that Soarin', for example was originally conceived as a barn storming attraction. It makes sense, then, that Imagineering simply transitioned from Disney's America to Disney's California (Adventure), as California in many ways is a microcosm of the entire country. [I throw this out just to dispell any notion that DCA was conceived in any way as a "studios" park.]

And I, like many folks, love the California theme of DCA. I don't live in California anymore, but I still consider it my home and many folks around the world still have a romantic association with it. The theme was never bad, the execution was. Now that the park is moving away from an ill-conceived self-aware, ironic kind of hipness, the new DCA will beter capitalize on people's romantic notions of what California is, and that's why it will be so much more successful.

The desert, the sea, Hollywood, and a fantasy notion of Los Angeles, one of the most dynamic and exciting cities in the world. And despite the popular argument, the theme works for locals as well, because everyone knows that the reality of living in southern California isn't nearly as nice as it is in everyone's imagination.

The name won't change from Disney California Adventure because the name perfectly sums up what the new park is all about. People get that and all the new attractions are well targeted and suited to the theme. Just my two cents!

Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

Just a thought. As the only state based Disney theme park in the World, DCA is an entirely unique park when compared to other Disney parks.

Disneyland and DCA are very unique when compared to the other parks. DL is the best Magic Kingdom in the world hands down based on amount, quality, and uniqueness of some attractions. Also DCA is one of the best second gates in my opinion.

DCA, Animal Kingdom, and Disney Sea were all built around the same time. I believe that sets these parks apart in terms of technology available and thus theming possibilities. I have yet to see DAK or TDS, but I assume that they will be fun simply based on the newness of the rides.

I dont see how anyone can say that DCA should not have been built. I understand the nostalgia of the parking lot, but when I come from Hawaii, Im happy to have TOT, GRR, CS, TSMM, Monsters INC, SSS, Bugs Life 4D, Muppet Vision and so on. It enhances the trip with more rides, modern rides, and more space. I love DCA too because they have great beer!

Merry Christmas Mice Chat!!! Holler!
    aloha
    Cedar

Walt is one of my greatest idols, and thus my reason for hating DCA when it opened, and during the majority of it's first decade. What bothers me are the fans who love Walt and yet also refused to say anything bad about the tortilla factory, carnival rides, etc ... yet, if such cheap things were built by, say, Universal Studios, they'd have no problem criticizing.

Walt had great long-term vision; like DCA or not, the park was not bringing in the people. Eisner was beyond angry inside his Grand Californian luxury suite; the lack of visitors was proof of his lack of any long-term outlook.

Uncle Walt is an idol of mine; that's why I'm so excited for the DCA overhaul.
    Peace, free love and rock 'n' roll

SAVE THE HISTORIC PALO ALTO BOWL!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has" -- Margaret Mead

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make" -- The Beatles

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -- Mahatma Gandhi

"Celebrate Earth Day, every day" -- John Denver

Talking Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

The name for this park was never a good one. Disneyland is named after the founder....Walt Disney, as he was the one who called the shots and had alot of personal input on that park. John Lassiter is new on the board and seems to have alot of personal input on the new direction of this park so why not call it....."Lassiterland" or "Pixarland" or "Disney-Pixarland"? And I agree....the art deco entrance clashes with the mission style architecture of Buena Vista Street. Now if this was Disney Florida Adventure (duh) I guess that art deco design would work!

It's redundant to have the name "California" in the title of this park because ah......we're actually in the state of California! But I guess Disney already etched this name change in stone and there's no turning back now from Disney Claifornia Adventure. I'm over it!

And let's see....on a side note.....will "San Francisco Street" be re-themed because of the re-themed palace of fine arts rotunda being fused into the new Little Mermaid show building ride facade?
    Last edited by dgpollard; 12-24-2010 at 08:58 AM.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by fireball View Post

Walt had great long-term vision; like DCA or not, the park was not bringing in the people. Eisner was beyond angry inside his Grand Californian luxury suite; the lack of visitors was proof of his lack of any long-term outlook.

Uncle Walt is an idol of mine; that's why I'm so excited for the DCA overhaul.
    Eisner a financial genius he ain't!

Quote Originally Posted by dgpollard View Post
    The name for this park was never a good one. Disneyland is named after the founder....Walt Disney, as he was the one who called the shots and had alot of personal input on that park. John Lassiter is new on the board and seems to have alot of personal input on the new direction of this park so why not call it....."Lassiterland" or "Pixarland" or "Disney-Pixarland"? And I agree....the art deco entrance clashes with the mission style architecture of Buena Vista Street. Now if this was Disney Florida Adventure (duh) I guess that art deco design would work!

It's redundant to have the name "California" in the title of this park because ah......we're actually in the state of California! But I guess Disney already etched this name change in stone and there's no turning back now from Disney Claifornia Adventure. I'm over it!

And let's see....on a side note.....will "San Francisco Street" be re-themed because of the re-themed palace of fine arts rotunda being fused into the new Little Mermaid show building ride facade?
    The general idea for the park was never a good idea, period. This is the kind of theme I could see an amateur amusement park chain like Six Flags or Cedar Park doing but not Disney.

At this point however, I am over the whole Pixarification of the parks. This is NOT just a DCA issue. It's the same thing going on at Walt Disney Studios Paris. Plus there's like two variations of a parade devoted solely to Pixar films that travels from park to park worldwide. The depressing truth is that Pixar is what's been outselling Disney since the century began. The real issue is how the Pixarification is being executed. In some cases we got amazing results with attractions with stuff like TSMM and Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters. But then we got duds like Toy Story Playland. The suits know that Pixar sells but they've been doing their biggest projects involving Pixar halfass because they know people will buy it up. It's such a shame that the public is fooled and they dont realize that they can do better than what's given to them.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

The general idea for the park was fine... It was the execution that missed its mark.

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    The general idea for the park was never a good idea, period. This is the kind of theme I could see an amateur amusement park chain like Six Flags or Cedar Park doing but not Disney.

At this point however, I am over the whole Pixarification of the parks. This is NOT just a DCA issue. It's the same thing going on at Walt Disney Studios Paris. Plus there's like two variations of a parade devoted solely to Pixar films that travels from park to park worldwide. The depressing truth is that Pixar is what's been outselling Disney since the century began. The real issue is how the Pixarification is being executed. In some cases we got amazing results with attractions with stuff like TSMM and Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters. But then we got duds like Toy Story Playland. The suits know that Pixar sells but they've been doing their biggest projects involving Pixar halfass because they know people will buy it up. It's such a shame that the public is fooled and they dont realize that they can do better than what's given to them.
    Fortunately, it seems as if there are more people in the company now who do care ... unfortunately, many of the people who still don't care are in top positions.

Yet ... things are improving it seems; slowly but surely. Better head of parks (a lot better), John Lassetter, Iger I feel has finally started to prove himself, and since Harriss left, DL has been blessed with very good presidents.

There is still stuff being churned out which makes me shudder, yes, but I definitely feel as if we're seeing a slow turnaround.

We're definitely light years ahead of where we were in say 1999 or 2000, where millions of fans were involved in one or more campaigns aimed toward Disney. Myself included.
    Peace, free love and rock 'n' roll

SAVE THE HISTORIC PALO ALTO BOWL!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has" -- Margaret Mead

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make" -- The Beatles

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -- Mahatma Gandhi

"Celebrate Earth Day, every day" -- John Denver

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Disney/Pixar Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• Theming Fan

Someplace much to far from anything Disney.

I can't be the only one who feels like "Disney California Adventure" sounds like engrish.
    Please keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the forum at all times.
    Check out my bandcamp!
    http://chaseharrison1.bandcamp.com/

• Lightspeed to Endor!

A poster had this idea a while ago, and I think it's the best option:

Walt Disney's California [Park]

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulele Guy View Post
    I can't be the only one who feels like "Disney California Adventure" sounds like engrish.
    Its ok, I have no issue with DCAs name. In terms of awkward names, its alot less awkward than the new "Walt Disney Animation Studios" name. I preferred "Walt Disney Feature Animation".

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by 1313Imagination View Post
    A poster had this idea a while ago, and I think it's the best option:

Walt Disney's California [Park]
    I wouldnt mind DCA becoming Walt Disneys California Adventure park, it would now match the new theme of the entry (Buena VIsta St.)

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Is the whole park a true reflecting of Walt Disney's personal experience in California? I don't think it is enough so that it should be renamed. That name makes it sound too possessive as though it was either his vision or a direct retelling of his story. That and that title is far to long and wordy to be use. People already mess up Disney('s) California Adventure. Something shorter, unique and memorable is what is in order if they go about changing the name.

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Is the whole park a true reflecting of Walt Disney's personal experience in California? I don't think it is enough so that it should be renamed. That name makes it sound too possessive as though it was either his vision or a direct retelling of his story. That and that title is far to long and wordy to be use. People already mess up Disney('s) California Adventure. Something shorter, unique and memorable is what is in order if they go about changing the name.
    Yeah, listen to Trevor. I'm pretty sure Walt didn't encounter talking cars, a mermaid, toys that come to life, a mountain shaped like a bear, monsters return a human girl to our world, a haunted hotel, and fly around the state when he first came to California.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast