Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Ohh.. no it was more a general response to everyone but the first line from your quote is what it was based from. Sorry, that was rather unclear in retrospect.
    an expressed belief that California is a mainly a bland, eyesore of a state (with a very minor amount being beautiful and intriquing) is an opinion that was likely not shared even by Walt. The state is abundant with various varieties of state and national parklands, scenic vistas, agriculture, archetectural marvels, etc. Few if any regions the world over can boast the same. A redundently themed DCA does not do justice in representing the great state of Californua, and is inferior to other Disney parks and their themes.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Pixarland would be a terrible name for the park. At that point it would limit eveyr attractin to be based on Pixar movies. The park has pixar based attractions but it still has plenty of them that are not
    I haven't heard anyone suggest a straight up Pixarland. I have suggested a Disney-Pixar Studios. This would entail all that Disney has to offer...plus Pixar. Many here do not care for the idea of a movie park. Well, never say never. Nevetheless, I think that I would prefer z Disney-Pixar Adventure park to one with a studios theme.

Quote Originally Posted by fireball View Post
    Walt is one of my greatest idols, and thus my reason for hating DCA when it opened, and during the majority of it's first decade. What bothers me are the fans who love Walt and yet also refused to say anything bad about the tortilla factory, carnival rides, etc ... yet, if such cheap things were built by, say, Universal Studios, they'd have no problem criticizing.

Walt had great long-term vision; like DCA or not, the park was not bringing in the people. Eisner was beyond angry inside his Grand Californian luxury suite; the lack of visitors was proof of his lack of any long-term outlook.

Uncle Walt is an idol of mine; that's why I'm so excited for the DCA overhaul.
    I hear ya, fireball. Overhaul DCA! Overhaul it all...lock, stock, theme and barrel!

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Eisner a financial genius he ain't!

The general idea for the park was never a good idea, period. This is the kind of theme I could see an amateur amusement park chain like Six Flags or Cedar Park doing but not Disney.

At this point however, I am over the whole Pixarification of the parks. This is NOT just a DCA issue. It's the same thing going on at Walt Disney Studios Paris. Plus there's like two variations of a parade devoted solely to Pixar films that travels from park to park worldwide. The depressing truth is that Pixar is what's been outselling Disney since the century began. The real issue is how the Pixarification is being executed. In some cases we got amazing results with attractions with stuff like TSMM and Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters. But then we got duds like Toy Story Playland. The suits know that Pixar sells but they've been doing their biggest projects involving Pixar halfass because they know people will buy it up. It's such a shame that the public is fooled and they dont realize that they can do better than what's given to them.
    Your point is taken that there are indeed too many Pixar attractions built on the cheap. the quality attractions are out of this world though! Two thirds of DCA still sucks. Let's hope that phases 2 and 3 take care of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    The general idea for the park was fine... It was the execution that missed its mark.
    The park's general idea AND it's execution both deserve an unceremonious criminal execucution,

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
    Disney/Pixar Adventure
    I love it CaptainEO!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Why does it look like the CALIFORNIA letters that were out front experienced an earthquake?
    Ouch!!! One of the letters fell on my foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I disagree. Its neighbor doesn't have huge DISNEYLAND letters in front of its entrance, but that's its name nonetheless. Although a name change for DCA certainly seems like a possibility, I don't think we should read into the removal of letters as being anything more than an aesthetic choice. [EDIT: And an acknowledgment that many of the park's more recent additions are not California-focused.]

Now, I think I've already expressed my opinion on DCA's name in the past, but I'll restate it briefly: Changing the Disney California Adventure moniker would cost quite a bit of money and effort, so that it would only be a worthwhile move if the new name perfectly encapsulated the concept and ongoing creative direction of the entire park in a way that was memorable and marketable and attractive. I haven't come up with or heard of a name that meets those requirements.
    The fact that you are open to a better non-California theme makes you awesome (plus some) in my book, Data.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Disney's Usedtobe Studios Park in Florida would have been a better name.

Unless Disney builds soundstages in Anaheim and actually shoots tv shows and movies in DCA and unless they make it a real working studio with theme park rides attached, calling the place a STUDIOS PARK would be ridiculous, Warrior.

Epic fail, Warrior. Come to LA, let me take you on a tour of a real working motion picture studio and show you DCA the next day, and then I'll ask you if they are in any way the same thing. Just because Universal is both a real studio and a theme park doesn't mean you should call a theme park without a real studio a "studio theme park".
    Yeah! I'm definitely not hooked on "Studios" parks that do not engage in film production. I'd love to take you up on a tour of Warner Brothers in the future, CA.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Disney California Adventure: A peek into what the future may hold - latimes.com

According to the LA Times article contained in the above link that Dustysage pointed out, Golden State and Condor Flats names are to be dropped...and the respective areas cobined under the new moniker, "Yosemite". Although Yosemite is a part of California, it is a national park. The California themed Redwood Challenge Trail is said to possibly be slated to be demolished in favor of an E-ticket ride (a mine train or some othe type of outdoor attraction). Plus, Soaring Over California is rumored to be replaced by Soaring Over the World.

All of this new information supports my notion that the California theme may well be headed in the direction of Yesterland.

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Darn. I like Soarin' Over California and I don't want to see it replaced with "Soarin' Over the World". I guess nostalgia is preventing me from liking this idea. I also think that nostalgia is preventing me from liking the idea of Muppet Vision going. I was thinking they could make a Great Muppet Movie Ride in an expanded Monster's Inc. building and movie the entrance to Muppet Vision inside the expanded building, so guests could choose if they would want to see the show after the ride is over. But the rest of what's mentioned I'm fine with.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Darn. I like Soarin' Over California and I don't want to see it replaced with "Soarin' Over the World". I guess nostalgia is preventing me from liking this idea. I also think that nostalgia is preventing me from liking the idea of Muppet Vision going. I was thinking they could make a Great Muppet Movie Ride in an expanded Monster's Inc. building and movie the entrance to Muppet Vision inside the expanded building, so guests could choose if they would want to see the show after the ride is over. But the rest of what's mentioned I'm fine with.
    Well, let's hope that Disney will expand it's Soarin' theaters to send us all Soarinin Over both California and the World. If the suits are smart, they will demolish the current Muppets building and construct an all new state of the art Muppets attraction. Fact is that the Muppets will always be popular in one form or another.

They keep coming in and out of style.
    But they're guaranteed to raise a smile.
    Sgt. Kermit's Lonely Muppets Club Band!!!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 12-28-2010 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Well, let's hope that Disney will expand it's Soarin' theaters to send us all Soarinin Over both California and the World. If the suits are smart, they will demolish the current Muppets building and construct an all new state of the art Muppets attraction. Fact is that the Muppets will always be popular in one form or another.

They keep coming in and out of style.
    But their guaranteed to raise a smile.
    Sgt. Kermit's Lonely Muppets Band!!!
    They're not quite a mop, and they're not quite a bucket, but man...

Back to seriousness

Muppet Vision is going away for sure? I didn't see that anywhere before.

• Senior Minion

Disney California Adventure: A peek into what the future may hold - latimes.com

According to the LA Times article contained in the above link that Dustysage pointed out, Golden State and Condor Flats names are to be dropped...and the respective areas cobined under the new moniker, "Yosemite". Although Yosemite is a part of California, it is a national park. The California themed Redwood Challenge Trail is said to possibly be slated to be demolished in favor of an E-ticket ride (a mine train or some othe type of outdoor attraction). Plus, Soaring Over California is rumored to be replaced by Soaring Over the World.

All of this new information supports my notion that the California theme may well be headed in the direction of Yesterland.
    I don't see how any of that reflects a change from the California theme. Much of Golden State has been peeled away and added to Cars Land and Condor Flats was always too small to be its own land. This rumored phase 2 would be combining CF and GP into one unified theme and a nice sized land to allow for future growth. But changing the name to Yosemite certainly has nothing to do with becoming a studio park and does nothing to support your theory. The fact is that Iger believes in marking franchises in the parks, and that's why DCA is getting a lot of film based stuff.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    They're not quite a mop, and they're not quite a bucket, but man...

Back to seriousness

Muppet Vision is going away for sure? I didn't see that anywhere before.
    A lot of that article is rumor, much of it came from this board, you should take it all with a grain of salt. There had been some discussion of it changing early on in the DCA project, apparently they looked at Philharmagic, but it wasn't a good fit for the theater, and had done some work on a Narnia thing before they dropped that franchise. But I don't think we know what will really happen there long term yet.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Iron-Clad Allie

MuppetVision 3D replacement attractions have in the past been rumored...Mickey's PhilharMagic and Chronicals of Narnia receiving the heaviest buzz. Fret not though as I perceive narnia as becoming a mini land one day. One miniscule attraction would not do the franchise justice. As marvelous as PhilharMagic is, Disney will never use Mickey to croak Kirmit. I think the Muppets are due to receive an update, and perhaps even a whole new building.

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

I think that PhilharMagic should go in the Fantasyland Theater. It doesn't fit with the 1930s Hollywood Land retheme HPB is about to get so it's a better fit for Fantasyland. It's a good show that I believe should come to Disneyland, but it doesn't have any spot in California Adventure.

CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• Iron-Clad Allie

PhilharMagic is bound to become a part of DLR in the future, Uncle Bob.. But, you are correct that the muppets building is too small and technologically unaccomodating for the Mouse's newer 3-D show. In addition, I think the suits still love the future green potenential that Kermit and his friends represent. If all goes well, the budget will remain flush for updating them and housing them in a new attraction facility.

• Iron-Clad Allie

I think that PhilharMagic should go in the Fantasyland Theater. It doesn't fit with the 1930s Hollywood Land retheme HPB is about to get so it's a better fit for Fantasyland. It's a good show that I believe should come to Disneyland, but it doesn't have any spot in California Adventure.
    Excellent idea, CEO. Personally, I've been wanting to see PhilharMagic added to ToonTown.

Excellent idea, CEO. Personally, I've been wanting to see PhilharMagic added to ToonTown.
    Doesn't this seem like you're shooting a little low? In that I mean you want Disneyland to get a show from Disneyworld that's already 7 years old.

And I'm not knocking your opinion here. I have never seen this show and therefore barely qualify to speak on the subject, if at all. Personally, it just seems kinda sad that the best Disneyland can do is copy an attraction that's nearing a decade old.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Doesn't this seem like you're shooting a little low? In that I mean you want Disneyland to get a show from Disneyworld that's already 7 years old.

And I'm not knocking your opinion here. I have never seen this show and therefore barely qualify to speak on the subject, if at all. Personally, it just seems kinda sad that the best Disneyland can do is copy an attraction that's nearing a decade old.
    Fair enough, DJM. I have allowed myself to aim low here. An all new original Disney 3-D character show (that includes the Fab Five) for ToonTown would be far better.

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Tokyo Disneyland is getting the show in 2011. Are you saying that all Tokyo Disneyland (one of the greatest parks in the world) can do is borrow a show that's 7 years old. You make it sound like the thing is from the 60s and is horribly dated, but the show looks like it opened yesterday! You just have to see it:

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast