Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Likely Making Changes

Blog Entries

Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    an expressed belief that California is a mainly a bland, eyesore of a state (with a very minor amount being beautiful and intriquing) is an opinion that was likely not shared even by Walt. The state is abundant with various varieties of state and national parklands, scenic vistas, agriculture, archetectural marvels, etc. Few if any regions the world over can boast the same. A redundently themed DCA does not do justice in representing the great state of Californua, and is inferior to other Disney parks and their themes.

[...]

The park's general idea AND it's execution both deserve an unceremonious criminal execucution,

[...]
    If that's your opinion then that's fine but I have a feeling most out of state guests will argue it. They don't get to go see all of California when they go to Disneyland so a park that successfully represented the State would be great to them. It could really have helped turn the resort into a strong multi-day property that held guests in the way WDW does.

As we know, the park was done poorly however and it never drew in the tourist market (which was also reduced by economic, political and national defense related issues above and beyond DCA's). If the park had been done in a way that reflected and represented California's beauty, the last decade in Disneyland Resort history would have read very differently. Thats an execution issue, not a topic one.

• Banned User

Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    Doesn't this seem like you're shooting a little low? In that I mean you want Disneyland to get a show from Disneyworld that's already 7 years old.

And I'm not knocking your opinion here. I have never seen this show and therefore barely qualify to speak on the subject, if at all. Personally, it just seems kinda sad that the best Disneyland can do is copy an attraction that's nearing a decade old.
    True, but wasnt Muppets over a decade old when they bought it to DCA. And I seen Philharmagic in Hong Kong and unlike Muppets, it doesnt feel dated .

I get what u are saying, but I dont mind a 3D clone as long as it feels fresh and good. And yes, TDR is getting it soon!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    If that's your opinion then that's fine but I have a feeling most out of state guests will argue it. They don't get to go see all of California when they go to Disneyland so a park that successfully represented the State would be great to them. It could really have helped turn the resort into a strong multi-day property that held guests in the way WDW does.

As we know, the park was done poorly however and it never drew in the tourist market (which was also reduced by economic, political and national defense related issues above and beyond DCA's). If the park had been done in a way that reflected and represented California's beauty, the last decade in Disneyland Resort history would have read very differently. Thats an execution issue, not a topic one.
    Again, agreed! Once again, they are enhancing the theme, not changing it! Name change would be nice, but its not necessary.

• long time listener

:sarcasm: They might as well call it Disneyland annex as that's what it is considered anyway. :P

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    True, but wasnt Muppets over a decade old when they bought it to DCA. And I seen Philharmagic in Hong Kong and unlike Muppets, it doesnt feel dated .

I get what u are saying, but I dont mind a 3D clone as long as it feels fresh and good. And yes, TDR is getting it soon!
    I had no idea that Muppets was already somewhere else. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as many of you here, especially when it comes to parks outside of California. I've never been to any other of the parks so I know very little of what they have to offer.

In the end, I totally understand why you'd clone a ride. There's nothing wrong with it per se. There's two things that irk me about it though:

1. DCA needed an infusion of good new ideas, not just "what worked at Park X and lets toss that in DCA."

2. Seems like Disneyland always place second fiddle to its Florida counterpark. As far as I'm concern, they can start copying our stuff! (yeah, stupid and immature opinion...I know).

• Banned User

I had no idea that Muppets was already somewhere else. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as many of you here, especially when it comes to parks outside of California. I've never been to any other of the parks so I know very little of what they have to offer.

In the end, I totally understand why you'd clone a ride. There's nothing wrong with it per se. There's two things that irk me about it though:

1. DCA needed an infusion of good new ideas, not just "what worked at Park X and lets toss that in DCA."

2. Seems like Disneyland always place second fiddle to its Florida counterpark. As far as I'm concern, they can start copying our stuff! (yeah, stupid and immature opinion...I know).
    LOL, no worries! But u just made my point. MOST people dont know that this stuff exist outside of their local park basically. And I been to every park but I know most people dont get to go nor want to go except whats nearest them so if they can bring an attraction that is great somewhere else, I'm all for it. I was so happy when TOT came to DCA because its a great attraction and most people who rides it now probably wouldnt have before.

Of course, I agree original attractions are always best because u want to make something custom based to that park as possible AND it gives people from other places to come to that park even if they have WDW in their backyard. Why DCA was such a miss because SO MUCH of that park not only had stuff u can find in other Disney parks, but generic stuff u can find in Knotts, Magic Mountain, etc. It has maybe 2-3 original rides at best at opening.

As for ur second point, actually they ARE cloning stuff from this park to others. Soarin was the first to go into WDW. Toy Story Mania and Mermaid were both designed for DCA first but went to WDW as well. TSM and Crush are both going to TDS as well. WOC was going there as well until they decided to switch to Fantasmic. Again, they want DCA to stand on its own, but its best rides are going to other places now. But looks like Carsland will just be at DCA for a loooong time to come.

That's pretty funny you said DCA had rides that you could find at Knott's. I used to call DCA "un-fun Knott's."

• Banned User

LOL, its true---except more expensive as well.

I do like the fact it really is now becoming a Disney park and not another generic SoCal park it felt like at opening.

• Iron-Clad Allie

This is like saying guests that attend WDW would enjoy their stay far more if there was a qualitatively executed Disney's Florida Adventure gate, and that those visiting Tokyo Disneyland Resort would have a far richer and more enjoyable stay if there was a qualitatively executed Disney's Chiba Adventure. The only thing that's more unfortunate than parks themed to the state, province or prefuncture they are geographically located in is the connected crusades to criticize evey attraction that doesn't fit Florida, Hong Kong or Chiba, or whatever the case may be.

I'll agree here to the extent that if more money and qualitative ingeniety is invested into a theme park, more people will visit...regardless of how poor, redundant and limiting the park name/theme is. Such a park will never achieve mega success on a national level, let alone international fame and aclaim. If the execution of a park isn't a topic issue. then what is it? I am unaware that there are some topics that are exempt from being categorized as a topic.

Again, agreed! Once again, they are enhancing the theme, not changing it! Name change would be nice, but its not necessary.
    Again, are you saying that enhancing the theme of Disney's Chiba Adventure in Tokyo (if it existed) would make it a break away Japanese and/or multinational success?

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceProject View Post
    :sarcasm: They might as well call it Disneyland annex as that's what it is considered anyway. :P
    "sarcasm": C'mon. Let's give credit where credit is due. DCA is much more than a Disneyland annex. It's Disneyland's 2 Fer Annex. "end sarcasm"
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 12-30-2010 at 07:16 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Your opinion that favors originality over clones seems to me to be true to your honest instincts. Many of the most intellegent people in history have not been extensive travelors. Consider the worldwide renouned and revered 19th Century painter Claude Monet created over 2,500 masterpieces of landscapes in the same garden (belonging to him) at Givemy. Intellegence in life iis far less about the ability to travel, and far more about about the self-driven ability to expand ones understanding based on the resourses around them...and through the good fortune of wise and true friends.

Digrssing, there is nothing wrong with desiring clones of awsome attractions. As you had early reminded me though, original ones (ececuted with quality and originality) are much better.

That's pretty funny you said DCA had rides that you could find at Knott's. I used to call DCA "un-fun Knott's."
    DCA is Knott's so fun at all.

LOL, its true---except more expensive as well.

I do like the fact it really is now becoming a Disney park and not another generic SoCal park it felt like at opening.
    D(C?)A is indeed on the fast track to becaoming a world class park!

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Likely Making Changes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    This is like saying guests that attend WDW would enjoy their stay far more if there was a qualitatively executed Disney's Florida Adventure gate, and that those visiting Tokyo Disneyland Resort would have a far richer and more enjoyable stay if there was a qualitatively executed Disney's Chiba Adventure. The only thing that's more unfortunate than parks themed to the state, province or prefuncture they are geographically located in is the connected crusades to criticize evey attraction that doesn't fit Florida, Hong Kong or Chiba, or whatever the case may be.

[...]
    Thats not what I'm saying at all. I realize that there are many things they could make a theme park about and I don't think anyone here knows what the absolute best theme is. However, because California is such a tourist based location, DCA's theme was not a bad choice. This is only amplified by the fact that Disney wanted to make the resort more tourist-oriented resort which held in its guests. That this suddenly makes a regionally based park the best option for every resort around the world was purely implied by you because I know I sure never said it.

Execution is what makes the difference. Once Disney chose the park's topic, it needed to build it up to the standards we expect from any Disney Park we visit. That was DCA's issue, not its theme.

When tourists are coming to a resort for their whole trip in a beautiful location like California, it make sense to represent that beauty in the park. I just can't see any of the negative aspects you seem to find with it. I don't see it as flawed and redundant because while it is representing things a few hours away, most people at the resort will never get to go see those things.

[...]

I'll agree here to the extent that if more money and qualitative ingeniety is invested into a theme park, more people will visit...regardless of how poor, redundant and limiting the park name/theme is. Such a park will never achieve mega success on a national level, let alone international fame and aclaim. If the execution of a park isn't a topic issue. then what is it? I am unaware that there are some topics that are exempt from being categorized as a topic.

[...]
    You loose me here in your writing. It sounds like your saying I don't think execution is an important topic. I'm just not sure how you got that from "[i]f the park had been done in a way that reflected and represented California's beauty, the last decade in Disneyland Resort history would have read very differently. Thats an execution issue, not a topic one", which is clearly stating that it was the level of execution in the park, not the chosen theme that was DCA's downfall.

Quote Originally Posted by emohyuessee View Post
    What ARE the plans for the letters? I for one love them and hate to see them go. Since my son, Aidan, was one (the first year of the park), we have taken his picture in, or in front of the "A." If they'll just be moved, we can still visit for future photos. So glad to be visiting next week to see them again before they go.
    I personally will miss the letters as well. I think a lot of people like them. You have no idea how many pictures I've seen at friends, relatives and neighbors homes (on walls and in photo albums) of people standing in front of one of those letters. Especially when the letter is the first letter of the persons name. I think people will miss them, but I do understand why they have to go. They don't really fit with Buena Vista Street.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Thats not what I'm saying at all. I realize that there are many things they could make a theme park about and I don't think anyone here knows what the absolute best theme is. However, because California is such a tourist based location, DCA's theme was not a bad choice. This is only amplified by the fact that Disney wanted to make the resort more tourist-oriented resort which held in its guests. That this suddenly makes a regionally based park the best option for every resort around the world was purely implied by you because I know I sure never said it..
    I totally respect the fact that you are willing and committed to vigorously promoting the views that you strongly believe in. I also greatly admire your articulate writing style. I simply disagree with you on this issue.

If a regionalized theme doesn't make sense anyplace else in the world, I don't percieve one as being beneficial at the Disneyland Resort either. After years of listening to "it doesn't fit the California theme" arguments from different people for one DCA attraction after another, I'm excited about the possibility of the "California" element being eliminated from the park moniker. If it wasn't for the constant call for strict thematic adherance, I suppose I would be much more tolerant of the name. As it stands, I'm hoping to see the door shut and a padlock placed on it.

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Its funny I tried explaining to my cousins who are teen 17 and thirteen the other day that they are taking away the letters, and they were disappointed they loved the letters. I tried showing them the new concept art but they say the letters are iconic go figure

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by disneyland55 View Post
    I personally will miss the letters as well. I think a lot of people like them. You have no idea how many pictures I've seen at friends, relatives and neighbors homes (on walls and in photo albums) of people standing in front of one of those letters. Especially when the letter is the first letter of the persons name. I think people will miss them, but I do understand why they have to go. They don't really fit with Buena Vista Street.
    I just hope, disneyland55, that there is something about the coming new entrance that you, me and others will find compelling, and fun to use as a photographic backdrop. Time will tell, my friend.

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast