Page 1 of 28 12341126 ... LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

2010/12/09/disney-park-set-to-remove-iconic-entrance-feature/63826/

According to the OC Register, the removal of the 11 1/2 ft. California letters in DCAs entryway is official. The anxiously anticipated demolishing will take place beginning January 4th, 2011. A brand new entryway will be completed in 2012.

Some here on the board are assuming that Disney is spending big bucks for a new entryryway that will feature the same old lackluster "Disney's California Adventure" name. Think about it my friends...Disney is spending a billion (possibly more) to completely overhaul a low performing gate. The poorly conceived DCA moniker has remained as much of a problem, since it's inception, as the park itself. Why would Burbank go out of it's way to prop up Eisner and Pressler's crummy name for their even crummier park they built on the cheap..

Here on the board, I remember one heated debate after another as to whether one attraction after another fit the California theme. When Walt came to California, he first set off to open a studio...not a theme park. The way things are shaping up, a studios based park name would be perfect for the revamped park. Plus, the second gate at Disneyland Paris is studios based, as is the newly renamed WDW studios park. I believe that we may be looking at something on the order of Disney-Pixar Studios or Walt Disney Studios-Anaheim or Disney Buena Vista Studios.

Even if DCA does not become a studios park, I feel that the stinker of a name is bound to change. Feel free to offer ypur opinion on the subsect, and any new name possibility that you might come up with or like.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

A studios name doesn't fit in because of PP and golden state/ soarin.
    WALTER ELIAS DISNEY COMMUNITY OF TOMORROW- WEDCOT

• Knight that says Nee!!

Re: Buh-Bye To DCA's CALIFORNIA Sign On Jan 4th. Will We See New Park Name In 2012?

I don't see it becoming a "studio" park, but I do see them changing the name somehow. From what the Blue Sky Cellar shows, the entrance will go through very drastic changes from what it looks like now...but I don't if those changes will affect the esplanade (sp?) beyond the fact that the big letters will be gone.

• Minion of Chernabog

The name will drastically and total revolutionarily change. They will, with great mind to the cost, drop the " 's ". Yes, you heard it here, no longer will it be the cruddy Disney's California Adventure, now, for the mere expense of reprinting many garbage cans and re-recording some spiels, we will have the genius name of Disney California Adventure.
    The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing - Walt Disney

Shut up and get to work - Me

• Nutty about Disney parks

I still dont like the new gate design...an exact replica of the one in DHS. It wont fit with the actual design of Buena Vista Street. They should've gone with something more elegant and less art deco.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Disney Fanatic

They did change the name. They removed the " 's " and made a new logo.

New Name and Logo:

Old Name and Logo:

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
    -Aristotle

Next Trip in 2012 to see the final product

• Seasick

Continued progress on the DCA makeover is a good thing, but I will miss the letters. They made for fun photo-ops, and the ability to add overlays was put to good use from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I still dont like the new gate design...an exact replica of the one in DHS. It wont fit with the actual design of Buena Vista Street. They should've gone with something more elegant and less art deco.
    I'm not a fan either, but we'll see how it turns out. The entrance to DHS is pretty bland, and this one appears to be quite similair.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Dream in wonderful color!

I highly doubt the name will change. If they were planning on changing the name, that's one of the first things they would have announced prior to announcing the expansion plans. It looks like the name and California theme are here to stay
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

I agree that the gate retheme is bad, but I like the name with the 's.

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• Banned User

We will keep the new name where we dropped the S, as other's have showed you our new logo. And trust me we started that change over the summer and it was quite difficult being a CM and having to say Enjoy the rest of your day here at Disney California Adventure lol. For years saying Disney's California Adventure. But I am pleased the letters are coming down, it will make the entrance look wonderful and give plenty of room for the trolley car to turn around. Plus being modeled after the Pan Pacific Theater is awesome and if you wanna see what it looked like look it up or watch the video XANADU with Olivia Newton John and you can see shots of it where they filmed there for scenes. Anyways the remodeling we are doing I think is great, with WOC having been received so well we are slowly turning away from being the red headed step child.

And then renovation is well over 1 billion. But I love the changes that are being made and I love working there. Come say hi to me sometime, you can find me at Flicks Fun Fair =)

• Senior Minion

Dude, you bring up this same thing like every month.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

I think the name should be Walt Disney's Californian Adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by PoisonAppleDear View Post
    We will keep the new name where we dropped the S, as other's have showed you our new logo. And trust me we started that change over the summer and it was quite difficult being a CM and having to say Enjoy the rest of your day here at Disney California Adventure lol. For years saying Disney's California Adventure. But I am pleased the letters are coming down, it will make the entrance look wonderful and give plenty of room for the trolley car to turn around. Plus being modeled after the Pan Pacific Theater is awesome and if you wanna see what it looked like look it up or watch the video XANADU with Olivia Newton John and you can see shots of it where they filmed there for scenes. Anyways the remodeling we are doing I think is great, with WOC having been received so well we are slowly turning away from being the red headed step child.

And then renovation is well over 1 billion. But I love the changes that are being made and I love working there. Come say hi to me sometime, you can find me at Flicks Fun Fair =)
    Please stop saying "we". You personally are not the one responsible for the name change, or any changes at the park, and as a regular cast member you're rather low on the Disney totem pole. I get that you love your job and take great pride in it (I would too, if I were there!), but you make these "we" posts like you're sitting in on the meetings with Iger or as if you are the PR rep of the DLR.

Additionally, legally speaking, by using "we" and "our" you could technically be construed to be speaking on behalf of the Walt Disney Company, which would surely land you in hot legal water should you say something the company doesn't like. Just something to consider.

...and now more on-topic... I doubt the name will change, considering they seem to be looking at a "California through the years" theme, especially if Hollywoodland and the National Park retheme of Golden State occurs.
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

To combine some other ideas/speculations, how about "Disney California Studios", or simply "Disneyland Studios"?

I remember the "s"-dropping recently, and I'm wondering why they would hypothetically change the name twice? It costs a lot of $$$ for any company to name-change once, let alone twice. If they were going to go for a big name change, they wouldn't have bridged the gap by trimming an apostrophe S. I think the name is probably here to stay.

Of course, anything is possible!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

The makeover of the entry for DCA is unprecedented in Disney history (and the park will still suffer for the horrendous park layout and numerous other initial park choices that cannot be overcome, even with a billion and a half dollars - remember, it's just not a billion for the make over that they have spent on DCA, they have had dozens of other projects and 100's of millions of additional dollars invested since opening day, nearly 10 years ago.)

But what they are doing with the "CALIFORNIA" entry letter really cannot be described as a "Demoshing" them, as Disney has other plans to re use those letters. And really it's only the entry gates that are being moved out into the esplanade. The buildings that are at the entry to DCA will still pretty much remain, just given a brand new facade. However I am very much looking forward to a new themed entry and the new street, which will certainly look much nicert than the huge open concrete court they had on opening day.

Page 1 of 28 12341126 ... LastLast