Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is the Monorail along Harbor on Disney propery or city property?

Part of the Monorail track parallels Harbor Blvd., traveling over the sidewalk and even a bus station.

Is that on Disney property or city property? I'm guessing the latter, since sidewalks and bus stations are part of the city transportation.

Re: Is the Monorail along Harbor on Disney propery or city property?

Disney owns half of Anaheim and 3/4 of Burbank.

The CITY had to PAY DISNEY to put a bus stop there.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Looking at the GIS maps from the City of Anaheim, I'm going to say that the Monorail track is on both Disney and City property. Here are links to the general info pages for the GIS maps:

Disneyland Parcel
    Parcel Info
    DCA Parcel
    Parcel Info

These are the satellite map overlays with plat boundaries on map for the properties
    Parcel Info
    Parcel Info

These are the actual recorded basemaps along Harbor Blvd.
    http://gis.anaheim.net/basemaps/Basemap_75.pdf
    http://gis.anaheim.net/basemaps/Basemap_76.pdf

I would guess that there has been much give and take on the boundaries along that road.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

Disney owned all the property along Harbor from day one. However, the Monorail crossed over West (now Disneyland Dr.) to the Disneyland Hotel. Disney did not own the Hotel and the Hotel entrance was where the Monorail DTD stop is. The Disneyland Hotel and entrance have been moved since then.

The sidewalk it goes over is where the heliport and cast parking was located. Only the sidewalk running directly next to the west side of Harbor is Anaheim property.
    Last edited by Disneyland 1951; 12-16-2010 at 03:40 PM.

• DLR Cast Member

It's somewhat unclear, but easty to deduce. If you compare the actual locations of the Monorail pads compared to Anaheim's basemap survey maps, it appears that the pads rest on Disney property for the majority of the Monorail line along Harbor Blvd (also evidenced by the fact that most of the pads on Harbor are backstage, with a backstage access road runnign below them). However, there is an easement granted to the city below the monorail just north of the Disneyland shuttle entrance. Given that Harbor Blvd was much narrower road in 1959 when the Monrail debuted, it looks like all of the space was once on Disney property, but that Anaheim must have negotiated an easement at the bus stop in question. Since moving the monorail for that one segment impractical, we can assume that the Resort has easement rights to the property, while the City owns that small corner where teh bus stop resides. A cursory view of the bus stop from street level, when compared to the Anaheim parcel map, seems to support that. So, in short, the answer to the question is: The Harbor portion of the Monrail is all on Disney property, with the exception of the bus stop, which belongs to the City but to which the Resprt has an easement.

Now, in regards to Disneyland drive it's simpler: the City owns the land, but the Resort has an easement to the locations of the Monorail pads and supports for the DTD overcrossing. It's similar to St Joseph Hospital, Kaiser Hospital, and South Coast Plaza, which have pedestrian overcrossings over city-owned roads, and to whom each city grants easement rights respectively.

• Master of Disaster

This totally got my mind spinning again... Wouldnt it be great if the monorail track was altered just enough for it to go across harbor to the proposed new parking structure and back! Wouldnt be that much track really!

• Minion

And, ultimately, to the third park.

• Johnny and Me!

Quote Originally Posted by zugzug15 View Post
    Wouldnt be that much track really!
    It doesn't seem like that much track until you factor in the $10,000/foot price tag.

Source

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by zugzug15 View Post
    This totally got my mind spinning again... Wouldnt it be great if the monorail track was altered just enough for it to go across harbor to the proposed new parking structure and back! Wouldnt be that much track really!
    Not gonna happen. The cost of the length alone would be upwards of $60 million per linear mile. And that doesn't include upgrading the existing beams to acommodate the additional power needed to power several more trains on the beam. It's much cheaper (not to mention more efficient) to put in a people mover or speed ramp in the same length.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    Disney owns half of Anaheim and 3/4 of Burbank.

The CITY had to PAY DISNEY to put a bus stop there.

Tours Departing Daily - Disneyland Resort Photography

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Likely Making Changes

Blog Entries

I never understood how a monorail beam can be that expensive. I assume that much of the cost comes from the trains and buying right-of-way (seeing as that new cost comes from the Las Vegas total cost divided by the track length). I wonder how much a single monorail beam and a post to hold it would cost. That would be an interesting statistic.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I never understood how a monorail beam can be that expensive. I assume that much of the cost comes from the trains and buying right-of-way (seeing as that new cost comes from the Las Vegas total cost divided by the track length). I wonder how much a single monorail beam and a post to hold it would cost. That would be an interesting statistic.
    The Las Vegas Monorail was MUCH more expensive, coming in at $654 million for 4 1/2 miles. That comes out to a staggering $150 million per mile. Even of Disney could do it for 1/3 the cost, you're still looking at $50 million plus.

Take for example Walt Disney World, where Disney owns the entire right of way on any expansion. Even there, they have not expanded the Monorail since the EPCOT line opened in 1982. If it's not financially feasable for WDW to replace their bus lines with monorails, it's even less feasable to do so in Anaheim.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Likely Making Changes

Blog Entries

More expensive than what? I was referring to the article which talks about the costs. All I was wondering was what the cost for a beam and support would be...

• Senior Monorail Minion

I believe part of the issue in Anaheim would come from retrofitting the beam for more trains. However, for simply the track, the cost is extreme due to the special contruction process. Check out The Monorail Society for some more information on costs of varying projects around the world.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!
    by intoxication, i'm pretty sure the OP meant that disneyland just gave us a free acid trip.
    -PLAUGED reffering to the Winnie the Pooh ride...

• Down Pluto!

Still cheaper than light rail...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast