Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,957

    Red Face Castle Xmas transformation

    I love the idea of seeing the castle change gradually throughout the night is great, and the castle looks gorgeous, but the narration is ridiculous. Like seriously, who is writing this stuff??? It's too corny even for them. It pulls me out of the whole mood it's so sappy. I think they'd be better off with just the music and no dialogue. What are your thoughts on this pre fireworks show?

  2. #2

    • Love HD videos!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water
    Posts
    1,692

    Re: Castle Xmas transformation

    Are you referring to this show I recorded. If so, There is nothing wrong with it although, the narration is a bit too long.

    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360


  3. #3

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,031

    Re: Castle Xmas transformation

    i think its fine it goes together. great video also

    It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

  4. #4

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    1,251

    Re: Castle Xmas transformation

    I actually agree with you. I am definitely not a hater of sentimental and/or sappy things, but the dialogue with the little boy and mother/grandma(???) is just too sugary and over the top, even for me. It's too bad really, because the music (Kellie Coffey, you are awesome!) and the effects are beautiful and spot-on. Makes me a bit teary-eyed just listening to the video.

    So, yeah. I say dump the dialogue, keep the rest. Or at least change the dialogue to something less cringe-worthy.

  5. #5

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,957

    Re: Castle Xmas transformation

    Quote Originally Posted by Diznygrl View Post
    I actually agree with you. I am definitely not a hater of sentimental and/or sappy things, but the dialogue with the little boy and mother/grandma(???) is just too sugary and over the top, even for me. It's too bad really, because the music (Kellie Coffey, you are awesome!) and the effects are beautiful and spot-on. Makes me a bit teary-eyed just listening to the video.

    So, yeah. I say dump the dialogue, keep the rest. Or at least change the dialogue to something less cringe-worthy.

    That's exactly the show I'm talking about in the video! And yes "cringe worthy" is a good word for it. It's nauseatingly cheesy. Kids don't talk like that, and as an adult it just makes Disney sound sooo out of touch with reality to me. Who is this supposed to appeal to?
    Last edited by DARTH MAUL; 12-16-2010 at 10:29 PM.

  6. #6

    • Embrace the kitsch!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    1,040

    Re: Castle Xmas transformation

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    That's exactly the show I'm talking about in the video! And yes "cringe worthy" is a good word for it. It's nauseatingly cheesy. Kids don't talk like that, and as an adult it just makes Disney sound sooo out of touch with reality to me. Who is this supposed to appeal to?
    It's supposed to appeal to the executives in charge of the project. That's who these shows are written for. Said executives aren't too familiar w/ ideas like sincerity and heart. They only know what their market surveys tell them. Cynical, unsentimental people as they are, they figure the more cloying it is, the more "Christmasty" it is and after all, this is just a kiddie show at a kiddie park. As long as the target demographic likes it, that's all that matters.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

  7. #7

    •   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    8,998
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Castle Xmas transformation

    Those are some strong words against people you don't know. Saying that they are out of touch is one thing, as you could theoretically observe that if the park was doing poorly.. But, saying that they are unsentimental, cynical or lacking sinceirty and heart is... interesting.

  8. #8

    •   
    • Insert Hilarious Title
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    At my desk
    Posts
    901

    Re: Castle Xmas transformation

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    That's exactly the show I'm talking about in the video! And yes "cringe worthy" is a good word for it. It's nauseatingly cheesy. Kids don't talk like that, and as an adult it just makes Disney sound sooo out of touch with reality to me. Who is this supposed to appeal to?
    The dialogue and voice acting sound consistent with other things released by Disney.

    As to the part of your comment I highlighted in Bold, the inspirations for Fantasyland (and the Castle this event takes place) have become the Disney "reality' for generations now. Those same type of voices have been used for many films from wizened elders to little animals shouting "Ma-ma, Ma-ma".
    Last edited by Timicus; 12-17-2010 at 07:37 AM.
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

    "The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

  9. #9

    • Cars Land Rocks!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    4,624

    Re: Castle Xmas transformation

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    the narration is ridiculous. Like seriously, who is writing this stuff??? It's too corny even for them. It pulls me out of the whole mood it's so sappy. I think they'd be better off with just the music and no dialogue. What are your thoughts on this pre fireworks show?
    Quote Originally Posted by Diznygrl View Post
    I actually agree with you. I am definitely not a hater of sentimental and/or sappy things, but the dialogue with the little boy and mother/grandma(???) is just too sugary and over the top, even for me.

    So, yeah. I say dump the dialogue, keep the rest. Or at least change the dialogue to something less cringe-worthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    It's supposed to appeal to the executives in charge of the project. That's who these shows are written for. Said executives aren't too familiar w/ ideas like sincerity and heart. They only know what their market surveys tell them. Cynical, unsentimental people as they are, they figure the more cloying it is, the more "Christmasty" it is and after all, this is just a kiddie show at a kiddie park. As long as the target demographic likes it, that's all that matters.
    Maybe they should have used the writers at Knott's, the copy would have been more like, "Look, the lights are coming on". (Lights turn on).





  10. #10

    • Disney is home
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    1,077

    Re: Castle Xmas transformation

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I love the idea of seeing the castle change gradually throughout the night is great, and the castle looks gorgeous, but the narration is ridiculous. Like seriously, who is writing this stuff??? It's too corny even for them. It pulls me out of the whole mood it's so sappy. I think they'd be better off with just the music and no dialogue. What are your thoughts on this pre fireworks show?
    Is this the same show that's been at the Resort for the last couple of years?

  11. #11

    • Embrace the kitsch!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    1,040

    Re: Castle Xmas transformation

    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Those are some strong words against people you don't know. Saying that they are out of touch is one thing, as you could theoretically observe that if the park was doing poorly.. But, saying that they are unsentimental, cynical or lacking sinceirty and heart is... interesting.
    Well, if they get to call us foamers and pass-holes, I say turnabout's fair play.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

  12. #12

    •   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    8,998
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Castle Xmas transformation

    ^And you know that the Imagineers are doing this, or is that speculation? Also, are they all doing this to the point you feel safe stereotyping them as one group?

    The thing is.. they did nothing wrong. They are just doing their job, and for all we know they do it really well. However, when people complain, go to the parks with a false sense of entitlement, or belittle them with no knowledge of what they do, you can see why they would be upset. Fair enough?

  13. #13

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    619

    Re: Castle Xmas transformation

    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    Well, if they get to call us foamers and pass-holes, I say turnabout's fair play.
    Well, we weren't using this before, but man... pass-holes it great - certainly going to use it now!

  14. #14

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Castle Xmas transformation

    Quote Originally Posted by Ummmmm, No View Post
    Well, we weren't using this before...
    Oh, newhire, eh?


    Quote Originally Posted by Ummmmm, No View Post
    ...but man... pass-holes it great - certainly going to use it now!
    Just be careful using it at work -- nothing gets one labeled as downwardly mobile like last year's groupspeak.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •