Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Mischievous Mouse

Is Disneyland wasting too much electricity?

I've thought about this during recent trips, popped into mind again while reading the "autopia license" thread.

Some lights that are energy wasting incandescents could be replaced with CFL. Some lights are on all the time. Now there is two concerns I have.

•A non-renewable resource is being wasted in a place (California) where effeciency is even moe important that many other locations.

•Regardless of the ability for DLR to absorb the cost of this wastefulness, it sends a bad message, sets a bad example.

What do you think?

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Minion

Re: Is Disneyland wasting too much electricity?

They should have started converting to solar years ago. Now is the time. There are plenty of rooftops they could install photovoltaic panels onto, and they would not be visible to guests. Anaheim gets plenty of sunshine. It seems like a no-brainer to me. Eventually they could generate a significant amount of their own electricity, if not all of it. In the long run it would save them a LOT of money.

The thing is we have tons of that non-renewable energy source left in the world. They've been using electricity at a mass for 50 years and only now does somebody complain. Replacing the lights on Main Street or anywhere else in the park will have such a minimal impact on energy consumption that it would just be a waste of money to replace them.

Go Green, convert the park back into an orange grove, too much? Ok unplug the light in Walt's apartment window, remove the Christmas lights, replace all audio animatronics with live cast members( I pitty the CM's stuck in Small World).How about closing the park at dusk?
    Disney is paying for the electricity so they get to use it as they see fit. If you are concerned about the non renewable resources being used then don't waste them by driving to the park.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Wow, this is going to turn ugly quick. I agree though with Bob Weaver, the use of solar panels could at least help with the power consumption within the park.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Minion

Maybe the Board of Directors of the Walt Disney Company would like the idea of reducing their dependence on fossil fuels, in addition to the obvious benefit of saving money.

• DLR Enthusiast

All of the new construction in DCA is benefiting from the use of LED technology. So Disney does have a focus on being green. Converting existing lighting in DLR to LED's would be beneficial in most instances. But very costly to retrofit. And LED technology hasn't come "quite" far enough to give main street that delicate glow that incandescents offer IMHO. It's all part of the show, right?

In the grand scheme of things, lighting proabably covers ~%35-%50 of the resorts overall power consumption. In time, I'm sure TDA will make the decision to begin retro-fitting (if they haven't already).
    -Brian - Find me on Facebook

• Fantasmic! Fanatic

They reuse the oil from the deep friers in the trains, natural gas runs most buses and the trams now. Replacing the lights down main street would be horrible. You wouldn't get that authentic appeal that incandescents give. /sarcasm/ Lets shut down World of Color and Fantasmic since they are certainly power pigs. Also California Screamin' since the LIM's use a lot of power.

• No Title for you

By my understanding and admittedly small knowledge of PV systems the current ROI after putting in the PV infrastructure doesn't come for 15+ years. Current marketable PV systems are pretty inefficient at transferring light to usable energy. It could be they are waiting for PV technology to mature so as to help maximize the energy potential for the area they may be able to cover. Not to mention the need for a structural engineering analysis to be done to make sure where ever they're planning on putting the cells it won't collapse the roof (that would not be a happy day).

Now, replacing many of the current incandescent bulbs with CFL or LED, I'm all in favor of that. The only thing I can realistically see holding that back is the look of the bulbs and making sure they give off the same amount of light in roughly the same color spectrum.
    Just another DL fan

• Minion

Disney is one of the most green companies in the world their recycling program is incredible they win awards for their efforts in environmental concerns! Yes solar is an option but there is a ton of up keep and work that must be done on solar panels and that would off set the money they would save by using them! If you want a true power solution then you need to look at the windmill concept Disney could put up 3 large windmills and run the entire resort from the power stored! Now where is the room to put them?

• Rock Star Minion

They could those dinosaurs in the diorama as fossil fuels.

And, no one wants to discuss the christmas tree with all those lights????

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
    What do you think?
    It's not being wasted. It's being used. People come to the park and expect an experience. That experience requires electricity.

Um, it's a theme park. It requires electricity. Lights are the least of the energy consumers. Those mad teacups don't magically (sorry to burst anyone's bubble) rotate and revolve. The air conditioning in every single building is not fueled by the guests' love of the park.
    Last edited by sediment; 12-21-2010 at 11:16 AM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy View Post
    If you want a true power solution then you need to look at the windmill concept Disney could put up 3 large windmills and run the entire resort from the power stored! Now where is the room to put them?
    Um, I don't know, how about in Tomorrowland since there isn't much there anyway.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy View Post
    Disney is one of the most green companies in the world their recycling program is incredible they win awards for their efforts in environmental concerns! Yes solar is an option but there is a ton of up keep and work that must be done on solar panels and that would off set the money they would save by using them! If you want a true power solution then you need to look at the windmill concept Disney could put up 3 large windmills and run the entire resort from the power stored! Now where is the room to put them?
    If the bowling alley I worked at during college can afford to install solar panels to supply their power needs, then Disney could easily afford to install some panels. I talked to my old boss a few weeks ago when I was in the area and he is VERY happy with the money he is saving using the panels. During the summer months the panels supply 65% of their power needs. Yes, a bowling alley uses MUCH less power then Disneyland, but if a small business can make it work for them, I am sure Disney could as well.

• Rock Star Minion

If they were affordable, I'm sure they'd use them. Perhaps Disneyland has procured a very good deal with its electricity provider, such that solar panels would not be a cheaper option?
    Last edited by sediment; 12-21-2010 at 11:38 AM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    If they were affordable, I'm sure they'd use them. Perhaps Disneyland has procured a very good deal with its electricity provider, such that solar panels would not be acheaper option?
    I wouldn't doubt that Disney does get some sort of discount for their power. With all the money they bring into the area, it makes sense to cut them a discount.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast