• Sock Puppet

Disneyland 2010-2011 New Years Eve

My friends and I have been talking about maybe heading up to Disneyland for New Years Eve this year.

Any thoughts about this? I would love to hear from someone who's actually been before on this day. Or the expected crowds and such…

Thanks in advance, I'm not sure if this is such a great idea to go or not….

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Disneyland 2010-2011 New Years Eve

Very crowded, bring your patience, but be prepared to have a great time.

• Minion

This will be my third year in a row. It's very crowded but extremely fun!!!!! They usually end up closing the gates at some point during the day so if you go plan on staying in the park. Mainstreet and the castle area are really nuts especially as it gets closer to midnight. I usually avoid that area I am usually near ROA it;s just as good for me. People actually wait around the castle area from opening until midnight for firework viewing in front of the castle no thanks in my opinion. They have dancing and a DJ in front of the castle starting around 8 or 9 if I recall. I would do it if you have never done it I am sure you will have a lot of fun. Also the park is open until 2am!!!

• Sock Puppet

Okay, thank you both. I think we may give it a try

• Suspended

You never know until you try.
    Get up early. Stay the whole day.

IMO, fireworks are a one-time thing. Not a big deal to miss them. in fact, it's kind of fun to see them out of the TOT openings from DCA.

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

This will be my fourth year in a row of going on New Years Eve!!! I always have a blast. Last year, I had even more fun then I can remember. At park opening, we grabbed our spots for the fireworks. I had a huge group with me so we switched off in front of the castle. That way, we would always have someone there, while others go on rides and do stuff, so that we won't be there all day by ourselves.
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

• Disneyland History Lover

Me and my ex went the last two years. It's a lot of fun, but don't expect much in the way of the music offerings from the DJ. I would say if you decide to go, be sure and get there early. Last year we went before opening and the crowds were beyond belief. And if you go, be sure and stay in the park. Don't leave because you might not get back in. Also, stake out a decent spot on Main Street early in the evening if that's important to you. It's way awesome seeing Believe In Holiday Magic and then Fantasy in the Sky on the same night. And to make the trip more worth your while, stay after midnight. After midnight the park really clears out and up until 2am you can still ride and enjoy the park. I remember after around 1 or so a lot of the rides became walk-ons. Also remember to take a nice warm coat.

We'd like to go again this year, but since he'll be working during the day, we may try out DCA instead.

• Banned User

Semi-related:

I know it gets pretty packed, but I've read that if you have a handstamp, you're ok for reentry? My group plans on getting there early, but we might park hop and check into our hotel at some point during the day. I'm pretty sure we're going to stay in DCA for the countdown (ElecTRONica and booze - all I'm sayin') so I'm not sure how that effects things.

Also, any word on the 11:45PM performance of WOC and how that's going to work? I read on the blog that they're going to do a countdown and immediately do a WOC show - will they still be utilizing fast passes?

• Glitter.

I've been there over New Years for the past three years. It get's packed! They've always had to close attendance by 7 pm. So be sure to enter both parks early in the day, that basically reserves you a spot in both parks.

I've never been to the park on New Years, but I took a Disneyland tour and disctinctly remember the commentary of our cast member guide. She said the park almost always closes in the evening due to capacity crowds and with the exception of an added show and staying open later, there is nothing done differently than a regular day. If you don't mind crowds there's probably an added excitement in the air simply because it's New Years.

I checked their schedule. There is an 11:55 pm showing of Fantasmic and and 11:45 pm showing of World of Color. It appears the only fireworks is at the usual time of 8:40pm.

If you decide to go - Have a wonderful time. Nothing like Disney to bring in the new year.

Look at the Parks Blog post for the added entertainment offerings. The entertainment schedule does not reflect many of them.

• Minion

My understanding of getting back into the parks is that even if you have your hand stamped you don't get back in by default. You will have to line up and wait as people exit if the park is at full capacity. They close of the gate in phases as well. I believe the first phase is they stop selling tickets. I am sure someone else can fill in the gaps for me as I don't know them 100% for sure. I just stay in the park so I don't have to worry about it.