View Poll Results: What should be the theme of New Tomorrowland?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Utopian Futureland/Classic Tomorrowland

18 69.23%
  • Alienland/ Space Explorationland

6 23.08%
  • Who needs cohesive theming?

2 7.69%

• Future Disney Imagineer

Which Tomorrow is Your Land?

What should be the main focus or theme of the upcoming Tomorrowland re-do?

Alien-land/Tomorrowland 2055: Rides, attractions, and eateries cohesively themed to aliens, space travel, and other-worldly affairs. This would most likely include the ideas from TL:2055; Plecto's Intergalactic Revue, Alien Encounter, and possibly a rethemed man-vs-alien version of BLAB.

Or
    Utopian Futureland/ Classic Tomorrowland: Attractions showcasing what a perfect utopian Earth city could be like. This would mostly include rides inspired by classic Tomorrowland attractions, like Carousel of Progress, Peoplemover; or scientific discoveries, like TimeKeeper, TRON (cyberspace exploration), and ATIS.

• Minion

Re: Which Tomorrow is Your Land?

When I was a kid, we all thought that by the year 2000, we would all be living like the Jetsons, with our little personal cars that could fly through the air, and getting our meals would be as easy as a push of a button. (For more on that see paleofuture.com.) But obviously that didn't happen, and even though there have been big changes in technology in the last 40 years, in other ways the world is the same now as it was in the 1960s. For the first 3 decades of Disneyland, Tomorrowland did have a sort of World's Fair look and feel. The version of Tomorrowland that opened in 1967 was a marvel to look at and walk through. It did look and feel like a "city of the future" and had a shiny glamour at night. But that vision of the future never really came into being in the "real world." What is the vision of the future of the real world 50 years from now? Is there any? If not, what is the purpose of Tomorrowland any more? Since about the mid-1970s Tomorrowland has slowly morphed from a vision of the future to just plain old fantasy. Adventure thru Inner Space -> Star Tours. Circlevision 260 theater -> a ride-thru video game. Carousel of Progress -> America Sings -> Look at what rich people can buy. Submarines -> Finding Nemo. Gasoline powered cars -> Gasoline powered cars. Obviously the company has given up on the future. What would be the point of building a new "Worlds Fair" type of land but then have to rebuild it every 10 years or so to keep up? So I would vote for the scientific (Adventure thru Inner Space), space travel (Space Mountain) and time travel, and a few aliens for good measure, rather than trying to establish another "city of the future" which they once successfully did but aren't interested in any more. A time-travel attraction could take you from the birth of the Universe to the time of the dinosaurs to the middle ages to today to the foreseeable future to a billion years from now, and back. It's a safe bet, too, since outer space is probably always going to be there, and time is probably always going to be there.

Last edited by Bob Weaver; 12-21-2010 at 06:56 PM.

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Why couldn't you have made a both. Alien Encounter looked cool but also like Carousel of Progress and ATIS sounds cool. The TimeKeeper looked fun as well. I kinda want a mix of them. Tomorrowland with aliens but also focuses on time travel, science, future transportation, etc. The kind of Tomorrowland WDW got in 1994.
    But since there was no both I chose Utopian Futureland/ Classic Tomorrowland.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• Future Disney Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
    Why couldn't you have made a both. Alien Encounter looked cool but also like Carousel of Progress and ATIS sounds cool. The TimeKeeper looked fun as well. I kinda want a mix of them. Tomorrowland with aliens but also focuses on time travel, science, future transportation, etc. The kind of Tomorrowland WDW got in 1994.
    But since there was no both I chose Utopian Futureland/ Classic Tomorrowland.
    There's the "no cohesive theming" choice, which could include both.

I wouldn't be surprised to include Peoplemover in an Alienland version anyway, like in closed "oxygenated" pods to allow humans to get from place to place without a spacesuit.

• Minion

I voted Utopian Futureland/ Classic Tomorrowland. To me aliens is a fantasy regardless of UFO sightings. Space Exploration has been done before, so it isn't as futuristic as it once was. However, I would want Space Mountain to stay if they took most of the space theming out.

• Artistic integrity

My pick - Utopian Futureland/ Classic Tomorrowland

Best described by poster Mark Twain in this older MC topic - MarkTwain's Tomorrowland: The future is finally here (picture-heavy)

Seems imagineers are not sure what to do anymore. If they can't come up with a new vision for Tomorrowland .. that's bright and positive ... then they should take a cue from TL:1967 .. and just run wild with all the shapes and designs of that look into the future.

The Tomorrowlanding shop .. did exactly that. Kind of followed the '67 designed ... but amped up that late 60s .. oval shapes, and bright color scheme -

01+Lunching+Pad+USE+(11).jpg (image)

>>Space Exploration has been done before,<<

I have to chuckle to that. Mean no offense.

We've barely touched space exploration. The most we can do these days .. is travel around Earth's orbit .. let alone ... travel our own solar system ... let alone .. travel our own galaxy ... let alone travel outside our galaxy.

The universe is vast .. with all kinds of mysteries just waiting for the human race to get out there .. and boldly go .......... you know the rest.

The Science Channel is chuck full of all sorts of material that WDI could use as inspiration.

Tomorrowland could be really terrific. If they would just stay away from the Fantasy visions ... As if Buzz is a real person .. and we must be defended from some "evil Zurg" who threatens our world.

child's stuff

Something that reaches out to adults would be awe inspiring!
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 12-21-2010 at 08:25 PM.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    I voted Utopian Futureland/ Classic Tomorrowland. To me aliens is a fantasy regardless of UFO sightings. Space Exploration has been done before, so it isn't as futuristic as it once was. However, I would want Space Mountain to stay if they took most of the space theming out.
    I really don't think you have to worry about SM, that's the one attraction that's definitely not going anywhere. It's become the centerpiece of every Tomorrowland.

I think both would be fine, I don't think it has to go entirely in one direction. But I think they need to set the timeline further in the future and use smoke and mirrors and imagination to make it believable so that real tech doesn't catch up quickly. I also think they need to redo many of the facades, but I'd tend to still keep much of the classic TL '67 look as much of it still has a look that feels futuristic. Many of the old facades could be restored, but given a somewhat new skin, and the Innovations building could go an a new real showpiece building could go there. I'd also like to see the area given more of a lived-in urban feel. But to me the biggest problems with TL are architectural and in the choice of certain attractions.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney