• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Post Disney California Adventure extreme makeover to transform theme park entrance

Our LA Times friend and blogger, Brady MacDonald, is back today with another feature on California Adventure's extreme makeover. Today, we take a look at DCA's transformation from its previous cardboard cut-out look to a fully detailed 1920's themed Buena Vista Street.

While all of the concepts presented below will be familiar to anyone who follows MiceChat and our California Adventure Project Tracker threads (which have received over 3.5 million page views), Brady presents this particular aspect of the project in a well rounded way which is worth your taking a look at.

After the winter holiday season ends, construction walls will go up around the iconic C-A-L-I-F-O-R-N-I-A letters Jan. 4 so that crews can turn the plaza area into Streamline Moderne turnstiles modeled after the former Pan-Pacific Auditorium in Los Angeles.

The most disruptive phase of the project will start in August, when retheming work will begin on the shops just inside the entrance. On Aug. 1, Engine-Ear Toys, Bu-r-r Bank Ice Cream and Baker's Field Bakery will close on the right side of the entrance. Then on Aug. 29, the Greetings from California gift shop on the left side of the entrance will close. If all goes according to plan, the new Pan-Pacific-style turnstiles will also open Aug. 29.
    Read the LA Times article Disney California Adventure extreme makeover to transform theme park entrance

Are you excited about this next step in Disney's Construction Adventure?
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: Disney California Adventure extreme makeover to transform theme park entrance

I'll get the ball rolling. I AM excited about Buena Vista Street in general. The park needs a Main Street quality first act. However, I'm not a fan of them adding another exclusive Club 33 style restaurant to the street. The last thing Disney needs to be doing is creating more of a "Have's" and "Have Not" situation. All should be made to feel embraced and welcomed when they reach a Disney park - Not just the uber rich. They've got one Club 33, that's enough.
    Last edited by Dustysage; 12-21-2010 at 06:58 PM.
    Find us on Facebook:

• Minion

Re: Disney California Adventure extreme makeover to transform theme park entrance

Will we still be able to walk through the entrance normally until August like that time when they had the letters walled off temporarily and people had to walk around the wall to get to the main entrance.

• Dream in wonderful color!

^ Yes, that is probably what will happen. I've heard the new turnstyle entrance will move out into the esplanade to the location where the letters are now. So I guess they can start construction on that without having to close the main park entrance

Are you excited about this next step in Disney's Construction Adventure?
    Excited? Of Course i'm excited! It'll be a year of construction, but also a year of new additions with everything that is coming to the Pier (Little Mermaid, Goofy Sky School, Paradise Garden restaurants, Maliboomer Park)
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I'm actually more excited about the reconstruction of DCA than I was about the initial construction of the park. It has been so fascinating to watch Cars Land and Mermaid go up right in front of our eyes. The stuff Theme Park fans live for.
    Find us on Facebook:

• Minion

I am definitely excited for the makeover. DCA totally needs it. Ever since it has started with TSMM, I've been visiting it a lot more often.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I just wish the entrance could get done quicker since there mostly just the cosmetic, i just see how a house can take them a week to build but it takes them over a year for what the entrance of DCA.

im so excited, but have been avoiding DCA when at the resort because of all the construction :P

Buena Vista Street is my favorite part of the renovation. It's the land ive been most looking forward to since i first heard about the renovation. The park needs this land the most, i've always HATED the entrance, nothing about it was charming or good looking (besides the California letters) but i can live without them for a better themed entrance. It will feel nice walking into a park with a proper entrance that will really make me feel like im transported into a new era.
    I <3 Disneyland California
    &
    <3
    California Adventure

December 15, 1966 - Also known as the saddest day in world history.

If all goes according to plan, the new Pan-Pacific-style turnstiles will also open Aug. 29.
    If that means what I think it means, then the turnstiles will get turned around a LOT faster than I thought they were going to be. I guess I always figured they'd just do the entrance in halves like they are doing BVS, and that the whole project would be behind walls until 2012. It'll be nice to have the entrance out from behind walls much sooner, to help draw people back into the park
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*