View Poll Results: How much influence does MICECHAT have on DLR?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • A lot

0 0%
  • Some

16 18.82%
  • Very litte

32 37.65%
  • None

37 43.53%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

•   
    • Minion

Re: How much influence does MICECHAT have on the operations/policies of DLR?

I said a little because my company uses forums to study. So where as the direct effect it has on it won't be too big but it can always get things rolling. I can guarantee you they read popular sites at least to stay in touch. Getting action going based off forum chatter is a whole different story.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    If you knew what went on, you'd think twice before insulting the 5-year-olds.
    I often times wonder if you actually like Disney.

• =)

There's no need for wondering. Mr Wiggins does not like Disney at all - as it currently exists. He likes the company as it once existed. Now, instead of getting personal here, let's try to get back on topic.

My thoughts: I don't know exactly how much influence MiceChat has on what gets done, but I know that it's less than a lot and more than nothing. We're very much on Disney's radar, but keeping an eye on the site is very different from carefully weighing our opinions when making every decision.

Opinions of the site also vary from individual to individual. I can't claim an enormous amount of personal experience with this, but some of the Disney employees that I've met have a lot of distaste for the site, some of them love it, some of them have never heard of it, and some really don't have any sort of strong opinion at all. Kind of like the variety of opinions we see on here about any given issue.

And yes, there are some very high-profile individuals who quietly read some of the goings-on here, at least from time to time. As would I, if I were in their position. We can be a crazy lot at times, and we're a pretty small and unusual segment of Disney's "audience", and our collective lack of knowledge of the company's inner workings means that our opinions are often based on rumor and inference and sometimes outright assumption...but that doesn't mean that all of our opinions are entirely worthless to them.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    I bet you'd be surprised at who knows about us...
    This. I was taking shots to help out Andy Castro last Spring and one of the guys in charge of remodeling the Jewel of Orleans (Not a rank and file CM but a suit from TDA) asked about Al and Darkbeer by name. We're one of the larger discussion boards out there, and you can bet that the folks who are trying to gauge public opinion definitely know about Micechat. If something egregious takes place and it hits Micechat first, I'm fairly confident that Micechat would have a significant impact on the decision making process. But if all of us were to agree in a poll that they should banish annual passes or start serving steak kabobs in the Hungry Bear, we would have zero impact.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Since the Rise of the Internet Hipsters at Disney, the monkey horde in Burbank has been quite prodigious when it comes to reading Disney fan sites. I see the 204.128.xxx.xxx and 192.195.xxx.xxx IP addresses in my server logs multiple times a day, which means they have read a thread here on micechat and pulled the image in my sig, which is hosted on my webpage. Even the D23 staff and people from the Archives read these threads, I know that for a fact because I have posted a thread here on Micechat, and later that same day they emailed me about it!

So the Haus of Maus is aware of what we discuss here. Whether or not it influences any official decisions or changes, we really can't say. But I'm sure our threads here and on other Disney fansites are lively topics of discussion amongst the Disney minions. It would be interesting to know how far we do reach. Does Godfather Iger lurk here? Or does Special K read the pin collecting threads from his office in the TDA Hot Dog? Not unlike the exact number of licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop, the world may never know.

(and for what it's worth, I've always wondered what Disney thinks of my Museum. It's been open for almost 5 years, and I've never heard a word from the about it. Ah well. )

• All-American

I answered some. We may not call the shots on Disneyland's day to day operations, but I guarantee the people in TDA at least know about us... and in many cases, probably check for our feedback and opinions of park operations. Our opinions probably reflect a significant portion of frequent Disneyland guests, and I bet that Disney would read Micechat if for no other reason than it's an easy way to do quick surveying. And then there are times when we probably do call some of the shots - during the big "Save the Rainforest" campaign a few years ago, Disney fans (and mainly MiceChat) protested the removal of the rainforest scene from IASW, which Disney had every intention of removing... until, of course, they decided to keep it by relocating it to a different room at the last moment. I suspect that was a bit of MiceChat interference right there.
    Last edited by MarkTwain; 12-23-2010 at 09:58 AM.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    You make it sound like Disney is managed by a bunch of 5-year-olds.
    Actually, in some divisions of the Walt Disney Company, being managed by a 5-year-old would be a significant upgrade, and improvement over what they currently have now!

• Artistic integrity

I voted "very little" ... but my more specific answer is "very little to nothing."

For I drove a pretty hard campaign to get the powers that be, to listen to the many valid reasons to keep the Bonita Tower water falls. In the end ... all our massive discussions obviously fell on deaf ears ... as the falls are history!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I can't claim an enormous amount of personal experience with this, but some of the Disney employees that I've met have a lot of distaste for the site, some of them love it, some of them have never heard of it, and some really don't have any sort of strong opinion at all.
    People at many levels inside Disney have been aware of online fans since Al's early days on Usenet. Over the years, the amount of distaste vs. approval has remained roughly constant: the proportion of distaste increases the higher you move up the hierarchy. TDB's top tier echoed Michael's blaming of internet naysayers as one of the key contributing factors to the demise of DCA. The tone of Marty's letter in defense of the IASW changes is another example. The sneering of suits during Al's campaign to promote Paul away from Disneyland was so severe, it's a surprise they didn't need plastic surgery to restore their faces. The reaction to the online "foamers" who "unfairly trashed" Light Magic was cold rage. And so on.

There are many excellent managers in the Company who feel differently -- some who are more sympathetic to online fan complaints than in-house politics allows them to express. But at the higher levels, the prevailing groupthink-attitude toward online fandom is a mixture of arrogance, defensiveness, scorn and cynical laughter -- along with the hope that it can eventually be moderated, if not controlled, by initiatives such as D23... among others.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

I guess you could say the fan community has a symbiotic relationship with Disney. Without them, there is no us, and without us there is no them.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sosai X View Post
    I guess you could say the fan community has a symbiotic relationship with Disney. Without them, there is no us, and without us there is no them.
    I think that without the Disney Corporation, there would still be fans of classic (pre-Eisner) Disney.

Without us, however, the Disney Corporation would do just fine. The Disney Corporation needs branded-lifestyle consumers. "Disney fans" -- in the sense of the classic definition of fans -- are a subset demographic that they could well do without.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    It may have been a coincidence but shortly after a few posts about how bad the roof of Space looked, it was cleaned. Then, after posts about how bad the new ROA shoreline looked it was completely redone again.
    Coincidence? Maaayybe..
    It was?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123