Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Mischievous Mouse

2011 shaping up to be the slowest year in a while?

Here's why I believe this...

A)A weak theme, weakest in many years, since before the 50th.

B)The economy is still very weak.

C)The Construction at DCA.

D)The anticipation of 2012 finish line for all upgrades/additions culminating with the mega-attraction "Carsland" will have people saving and waiting.

E)Higher than ever airfares and hotels costs.

Add all these things up and it spells disaster for DLR. They better be ready to offer some pretty attractive discounts and special packages to whoo he masses from afar.

Me and mine won't be returning before September 2012 at the very earliest!!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Rock Star Minion

Re: 2011 shaping up to be the slowest year in a while?

Meh. First sign of tourist numbers dropping, and TDA will start dropping the admission price with 2-fers and 5-fer-3's and things like that.
    Should be as busy as ever.

I think your logic makes a lot of sense if everyone was paying the "market price" to enter. That's not happening, as 2/3 of the admissions are way below"market" while the rest are way above "market." (I think "market' is about $50 or so. Me <> market, though.)
    One solution.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• At the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
    Here's why I believe this...

A)A weak theme, weakest in many years, since before the 50th.

B)The economy is still very weak.

C)The Construction at DCA.

D)The anticipation of 2012 finish line for all upgrades/additions culminating with the mega-attraction "Carsland" will have people saving and waiting.

E)Higher than ever airfares and hotels costs.
    The economy has been weak for some time. So I don't see that making more of a difference in 2011.

Judging by the full parking lots at local hotels and from personal experience I think the majority of visitors drive, so I don't believe higher airfare will make any more of an impact in 2011.

And the fact that you have star tours, little mermaid and other new offering coming in 2011, I think 2011 will see plenty of crowding.

• Banned User

What he said. Star Tours alone will be enough to pack in guests, just think about how crazy the crowds were when Pirates reopened with the film elements. Star Wars people are even more dedicated. I know I'll be there opening day. That plus Little Mermaid, Soundsational, and crowds still coming for WOC and we've got a decent year. Plus, we still don't know what else is up Disney's sleeve.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Down with the Tide View Post
    And the fact that you have star tours, little mermaid and other new offering coming in 2011, I think 2011 will see plenty of crowding.
    This
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Down with the Tide View Post
    The economy has been weak for some time. So I don't see that making more of a difference in 2011.
    yep.people have money to spend when they aren't making their house payments. I doubt disney will slow down unless they stop the payment plans.

• Yo!

Not sure how Star Tours 2 opening, Little Mermaid opening, Soundsational opening, and the momentum from World of Color still continuing all adds up to the "slowest year in a while." My guess is it'll be the complete opposite!
    "Keep Moving Forward."

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Despite the economy there are around 1,000,000 annual passholders. A lot of them live in the SoCal area, and they seem to be hitting the park more and more. Possibly because big ticket vacations are not in budget for a lot of people, but a trip to Disneyland every week or two is.
    All it took last summer was the opening of World of Color to get people out to DCA in droves. With several big attractions opening this year, even if the economy stays slow I don't think the crowds are going to go away.

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

I disagree with the comment about hotel and airfares being at a high. From what I have seen in the traveling I do hotels rates are and have been pretty stead fast and airfare has been much lower this past year then I have seen in the last several years.

Also, if tourism slows at DL, they will start new "promotions" full of "discounts" to increase visitors, don't worry, DL will make it through this economic woe!
    Yaye!

• Blew By You

If the rains continue for the beginning of 2011, then the crowds may be lighter. But with all the attractions opening this year, there will be crowds.
    And now it will be only 5 more years before the 60th year anniversary.

• Mischievous Mouse

meh, we'll see. I predict lower than usual crowds. I was surprised at how slow it was last week. Many rides were walk on early in the day. Wait times were half what they were last Feb. in off season,and it's Christmas time now. I think you are being overly optimistic. Disney will have to offer better than ever discounts. IMHO.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

I'm with everyone else - with the slow economy, all of the AP's will be staying close to home and coming to the park even more. And with anything new opening, that is even more reason to come to the park.

But I do agree with the OP up to a point: my wife wanted to renew our passes, but we decided to wait until 2012 with all of the new attractions, as we do do view 2011 as a less desirable year than 2012.

• At the bottom

meh, we'll see. I predict lower than usual crowds. I was surprised at how slow it was last week. Many rides were walk on early in the day. Wait times were half what they were last Feb. in off season,and it's Christmas time now. I think you are being overly optimistic. Disney will have to offer better than ever discounts. IMHO.
    Your going to to base your prediction for next years attendance off one rainy week......

• Minion

Uhhh Last week it was RAINING! haha I wouldn't base my judgment that! haha

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I sure hope those who make these "predictions" will be able to admit they were dead wrong later on.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast