• 10 Year Annual Passholder

New projections being tested on Space Mountain?

I was at Disneyland today and went on Space Mountain at about 2:30. I noticed three projections on the slanted ceiling part of the ride: The normal black hole that is at the top of the lift hill, a spinning asteroid, and something that just looked like a reddish mass. I am almost 100% sure that the second and third that I mentioned are new since the last time I went (December 5th). Anyone have news on this?
    Last edited by KEBSD; 12-22-2010 at 06:11 PM.

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 7.31.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 18

• Imagineer in Training

Re: New projections being tested on Space Mountain?

They are not new, they just aren't on all the time. The black hole is always working but the redish mass and the spinning asteroid have been there since 05.

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

The spinning asteroid has been there since 2005 when it took the spot of the Goe-Sphere after the refurbishment.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky28 View Post
    They are not new, they just aren't on all the time. The black hole is always working but the redish mass and the spinning asteroid have been there since 05.
    Interesting, thanks for the information. So it seems as if they are back up and working.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
    The spinning asteroid has been there since 2005 when it took the spot of the Goe-Sphere after the refurbishment.
    Are you referring to the actual, non-projected asteroid in the middle of the room? If so, I knew that was there-- I was referring to an asteroid that is projected on the slanted ceiling.

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 7.31.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Quote Originally Posted by KEBSD View Post
    Are you referring to the actual, non-projected asteroid in the middle of the room? If so, I knew that was there-- I was referring to an asteroid that is projected on the slanted ceiling.
    Yeah that one, I didn't know there was a projected asteroid.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• LOL!!!!!!! (MC teen joke)

I haven't seen it since the first Ghost Galaxy overlay back in 2009.
    The Original Teen Scene of MiceChat:
    fangalicious44 padgerfan monorailorange33 SS77 A113 animekiti4christ DapperJoshua Performerinwaiting MainStreetJake dmtnt55 MikeSkellington
    JungleCruiseFan Ckelef1 Incrediboy The Disneylander GummiBearsRock iskategoofy *disneyprincess* stevo505 Dragonfire Colorized DisneyLove littleactressann Kritter

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
    Yeah that one, I didn't know there was a projected asteroid.
    I didn't either, until today.

Quote Originally Posted by SS77 View Post
    I haven't seen it since the first Ghost Galaxy overlay back in 2009.
    It didn't seem like a projection from Ghost Galaxy, although it did seem to be utilizing the same horrible projectors.

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Visit my

• LOL!!!!!!! (MC teen joke)

Quote Originally Posted by KEBSD View Post
    I didn't either, until today.

It didn't seem like a projection from Ghost Galaxy, although it did seem to be utilizing the same horrible projectors.
    Well, are you talking about the asteroid that you see on the slanted ceiling right as the fast part of the ride begins? If so, I meant that It disappeared after the first GG overlay. I haven't seen it since then.
    The Original Teen Scene of MiceChat:
    fangalicious44 padgerfan monorailorange33 SS77 A113 animekiti4christ DapperJoshua Performerinwaiting MainStreetJake dmtnt55 MikeSkellington
    JungleCruiseFan Ckelef1 Incrediboy The Disneylander GummiBearsRock iskategoofy *disneyprincess* stevo505 Dragonfire Colorized DisneyLove littleactressann Kritter

Quote Originally Posted by SS77 View Post
    Well, are you talking about the asteroid that you see on the slanted ceiling right as the fast part of the ride begins? If so, I meant that It disappeared after the first GG overlay. I haven't seen it since then.
    Oh, okay, I get what you mean.

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Visit my

• We Go On.

Exciting! Though I'm a geek about all things Disney, I'm at my geekiest when it comes to Space Mountain. I could have sworn the black hole projection was larger on my last visit, and I can't wait to hear more about these new projections.

• Disneyland-lovin' Anteate

I saw the projection today (Wednesday) but I didn't notice it Tuesday. It's a really bad projection too, blaringly different.
    I believe in pixie dust, little green men, and Disney-freaking-magic!

Quote Originally Posted by xoikerssteph View Post
    It's a really bad projection too, blaringly different.
    I agree. It is the reason I hate Ghost Galaxy so much.

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Visit my