• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Angry What's up with the Orange County Register??

So...the 100 people who shaped Orange County came out today...and there are 24 people on the cover....and NO WALT DISNEY!

What the....?

Although...NIXON is featured right down there on the bottom row.

Let's feature Nixon, but leave Walt off....hmmmmm. And Loretta Sanchez! How do you have Loretta Sanchez and no Walt Disney?

He is mentioned as the magazine is set up in chronological order, in the year 1955...so kudos for that. But to leave him off the cover???

You're telling me that Disneyland isn't in the top 5 things you think of when you mention Orange County?

I don't get it.

Re: What's up with the Orange County Register??

It is the OC register, half of the high school newspapers in OC are written better than that publication. Only thing the OC register has going for it is the fact that the Friday papers Fry's ad is larger than the L.A. Times one.

• Official Mice Chat person

Maybe they didn't want to give Disney free publicity? That's the only logical thing I can think of... Because he definitely should be there! Disneyland is what most people think of when they hear “orange county”, or “southern CA”.

• CM for 4 years!

OC Register has been pimping DL all year long.

So, one slight oversight.

Hey, it's not as poorly written as OC Weekly!

But OC Register prints the New York Times Crossword, and LA Times doesn't.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Banned User

*shrug* I won't lose sleep over it.

• ...lurks...

And the OC Register wonders why I won't subscribe...it's the 'small' oversights such as this and shoddy writers/reporters. Geez.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Well it's good to hear that the reporting in Orange County is as bad as it is in Phoenix.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Who's your DaddyB?

Disney made the list once you read INSIDE the book, as well as Disneyland's first president, Jack Lindquist. So what that Mr. Disney's not on the cover. Disney company has two spots in the list of 100 people who shaped Orange County in the past 100 years. Walt's picture takes up one whole page with Disneyland's bio taking up another. An honer only a few other people on the 100 year list were given (the Knotts were another one, by the way).

Before you start ripping the newspaper as a whole, you might actually take the time to read the article. Who's on the cover means very little to me. It's what's inside that counts.
    Last edited by daddyb; 11-20-2005 at 06:07 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• Official Mice Chat person

Quote Originally Posted by daddyb
    Disney made the list once you read INSIDE the book, as well as Disneyland's first president, Jack Lindquist. So what that Mr. Disney's not on the cover. Disney company has two spots in the list of 100 people who shaped Orange County in the past 100 years. Walt's picture takes up one whole page with Disneyland's bio taking up another. An honer only a few other people on the 100 year list were given (the Knotts were another one, by the way).

Before you start ripping the newspaper as a whole, you might actually take the time to read the article. Who's on the cover means very little to me. It's what's inside that counts.
    Wow, that's great information! I don't live in CA so I would have never known that, thanks for sharing. That's great Mr. Disney got a full page picture.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daddyb

Um...I did actually take the time to read the article (which was well written), and yes, I am ripping the newspaper a new one over this. I'm not trashing the paper as a whole, but I am puzzled as to why a competent editor would not put Walt's face next to...say LORETTA SANCHEZ!! If your premise is that each of these 100 people made an equal conrtibution, then you might have a point. However, the faces on the COVER, in my humble opinion, would be the top 25 of the 100 faces inside. Walt would easily make the top FIVE if not the TOP person who shaped Orange County. What was Orange County before 1955?? Orange groves....and....a good beach or two. What was Orange County after 1955? People coming from all over the world to visit Disneyland. Whether you think freeways and hotels are improvements or not, I would argue that Walt Disney is NUMBER ONE when it comes to who had the greatest IMPACT on Orange County in the last 100 years.

And they left him OFF THE COVER!

Maybe someone over at the register has a stick up their...in regard to the Disney company. I don't believe it was an accident...

• CM for 4 years!

Now, see to me, it's marketing. If there is a rarer Orange County shaper on the cover that you saw as overlooked, then you would be excited to pick up the paper!! Of coruse everyone KNOWS Disney is on the list, there's no question. But seeing "different" people from "different" place on the list on the cover shows a range.

Disney on the list is a "duh"... but on the cover? That might be like beating us over the head with it.

OC Register tries real hard to be a good paper. I see where they were going.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• insufferable know-it-all

No, OC Register doesn't try all that hard. Ever read their 100 Years thing they've been running for months now? It talks about all the changes the county has seen, including "the opening of Disney World," yes, you read that correctly, they said WORLD. And this is DL's LOCAL paper! This "oversight" has run continuously for MONTHS now.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• CM for 4 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    No, OC Register doesn't try all that hard. Ever read their 100 Years thing they've been running for months now? It talks about all the changes the county has seen, including "the opening of Disney World," yes, you read that correctly, they said WORLD. And this is DL's LOCAL paper! This "oversight" has run continuously for MONTHS now.
    Uh..... well.... THEY STILL RUN THE NYT CROSSWORD!!

I love that crossword, man.
    May 6, 2005 - present.