• Welcome Home

So How Crowded Was it On My DL Visit Yesterday (Tues 12/28)? A Few Quick Examples

- Knew it would be bad when there was a line from Ball for the turn onto Disney Drive at 8am.

- 8:30am at the entry, lines 100 or so long at each gate.

- Really strange to go into Adventureland from Main Street and see crowds like 2pm on a Summer weekend - before 9am.

- Decided to park on the Golden Horseshoe bench facing New Orleans Square and read around 10:30am. By 11am, the Pirates line was to the Horseshoe's entry door - and they were using multiple lines including one in front of the restaurant. Yes.

- The view from this bench was amazing. Just a solid wall of people from in the Square area to ROA.

- Found a little back corner of Fantasyland between Dumbo and Casey Jr. to stand around 12. A nice custodial/sweeper cast member was just standing there staring at the crowd. Said she couldn't work - impossible to sweep with those crowds. Said 90,000 were in the park.

It actually wasn't so bad for me - single visitor with a "the park is the ride" approach and knowing areas to escape to. But for a family visiting..... I know it wasn't our normal overcrowding issue this time - S Cal APs - and they did what they could by cutting off ticket sales early, and visitors from afar had a right to go with their purchased ticket - still. It looked dangerously crowded. Maybe a lower limit. It seemed at least 5,000 - 10,000 beyond what a fire marshall should allow, to my eyes.

Re: So How Crowded Was it On My DL Visit Yesterday (Tues 12/28)? A Few Quick Example

I always go with the "the park is the ride" approach! Nice analogy!
    Multiple visits every year since 1965.
    You might say I'm a fan!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: So How Crowded Was it On My DL Visit Yesterday (Tues 12/28)? A Few Quick Example

Thank you so much for your report. It is just amazing how many people they are willing (and the fire marshal is willing) to allow into Disneyland.

I don't think it is possible to get 90,000 people into Disneyland alone, so I think your sweeper was misquoting the numbers. But it is quite possible that there were 90,000 in Disneyland AND California Adventure combined (which would still be a huge number).
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

My daughter & I went early yesterday afternoon to visit with a cast member daughter. As crowded as I have ever seen.

Wait time unbeliveable--150 min for Space Mt.

Buzz fastpasses at 3:00 were for 11:40-12:00. After eating with the 30% coupon we were just too tired fighting the mass and left for DCA. It was also way to full so home by 7:00.

My first time to see ticket sales to both parks cut off. (First time I heard of DCA to be full).

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

Do you have any picture?

I love to look at Pictures.

Picture tells a thousand-words.
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

• Semi-Lurker

I was a guest control lead for the MSEP on July 4th, 1986. During the pre parade meeting we were told that this day was the record holder for attendance up to that time and that in-park attendance was 70,000. That was along time ago and Disney has been known to pass on less than reliable info to cast members, but 70k was the number they used.

Quote Originally Posted by asianbma View Post
    Do you have any picture?

Check out:

As Disneyland closed its gates to additional visitors, Disneyland Resort visitors crowded the gates : News Photo

Yes, it really was that crowded, even though most of these pics look like they were taken at opening.

• Welcome Home

....the one saving grace was the weather - picture postcard with blue skys and 65 - 70 degrees or so. At least it wasn't that terrible combination of summer heat and huge crowds we've all experienced.

But many people looked - no other word for it - stunned. Ride lines were impossible, extending into traffic lanes, and congestion took on new forms I'd never seen. Example, exiting Fantasyland, there was only a narrow corridor between Snow White and Peter Pan - ride lines on the Pan side and several hundred - so it seemed - parked strollers on the Snow White side.

I didn't even try Tomorrowland.

Doing the "run a movie in your head" thing, I started picturing people just - rebelling. Tearing down a ride, impromptu looting, a riot goin' on at the Happiest Place on Earth.

• Minion

Some thoughts about our visit on Tuesday:
    -Daunting but doable day with my daughter, which was amazing in itself;
    -standing in queues for Fantasyland attractions were not as bad as I thought, except for Small World but even then, the Parade was passing by and we had pretty good sight lines for the parade;
    -only one bad experience at the M&F lot but I shook it off;
    -I thought the CMs were great for being in tough working conditions;
    -hell was still frozen;
    -unexpected meet up with two cousins and uncle, which seems to happen to me alot;
    -Village Haus was nearly empty at 4:00PM which made the meal time more pleasant
    In all, my daughter had a great time on her usual attractions, and I was pleasantly surprised on how a large crowd could be almost a non factor for us. Maybe more luck was in play.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ExCandyMaker View Post
    I was a guest control lead for the MSEP on July 4th, 1986. During the pre parade meeting we were told that this day was the record holder for attendance up to that time and that in-park attendance was 70,000. That was along time ago and Disney has been known to pass on less than reliable info to cast members, but 70k was the number they used.
    I think I was there that day and it was the worst I've ever seen it. I recall going on like three rides all day and it being really hot and at one point I was stuck in FL near Dumbo, literally unable to move in any direction because the crowds were so thick. I think the capacity might have actually been a little higher back then. It sure seemed like it because that day still stands out to me and I was a kid.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

On days like that, it is best to discard the "park is the ride" concept, and just go with "the parking lot is the ride" concept.

I feel sorry for families visiting from out of town. It's too crowded to really experience Disneyland as it should be experienced.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by scrappydawg View Post
    I feel sorry for families visiting from out of town. It's too crowded to really experience Disneyland as it should be experienced.
    I feel bad for them, too. There are people going to the park just to watch other people, while there are tourists outside the park in the waiting line.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• California Adventurer...

Quote Originally Posted by asianbma View Post
    Do you have any picture?

Just for a rough Idea around noon at tomorrowland terrace:

I was there on the 4th of July in 2009. It was so crowded at downtown Disney that I almost got trampled in the crowd of people. It really wasn't safe and it was one of the scariest things I have ever experienced.

But huge crowds at Disney aren't TOO awful. You just have to make the most out of the day. Disney has so much to see without waiting in line, that you won't get tired. And at least most of the rides have fun ques to keep you busy reading and looking at stuff. It is always good to try to eat at an "off" time if you can. Some of us who don't live close by have to go whenever it fits into the schedulue. Sadly for me that is almost always on crowded days.
    WDW: 1981, 1986, 2008, 2012
    DLR: 1999, 2009
    DLP: 2010

Like the Beatles? Check out my blog Meet the Beatles for Real
    http://meetthebeatlesforreal.blogspot.com/