Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Boat shoes all day long

Exclamation 2011 Disneyland Half Marathon

Recalling past posts, there were a number of mice chatters saying that had their training been more consistent, they would have entered the Disneyland Half Marathon or 5K. These posts usually began popping up about a month or two out from race day. Well friends, here is a brief reminder that you only have 245 days to get in shape for the races!

This years Disneyland Half Marathon will be taking place on Sunday, September 4th, with the kids run and 5K on Saturday, September 3rd. I am sure you are all now wondering when registration opens for these inspiring events…January 3rd, 2011.

There are many chatters that participate in this event, and have done so for a number of years; get in touch with them with any questions you may have. There are also myriad trip reports dedicated to the festivities of the half marathon weekend.

Get some new sneakers; get a stop watch, maybe some gloves if you live in northern California, and get in the miles.

Best of luck to those preparing for the events! Feel free to post any advice or training tips along the way; this could be a good information resource for those preparing for their first run or their fiftieth.

Event website: Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend | runDisney | Amateur Sports | ESPN Wide World of Sports
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

• Disneyland fan since 1967

Re: 2011 Disneyland Half Marathon

So how is the course, anyway? I admire this one from afar, usually, and have wondered whether it is worth braving the Labor Day crowds to participate.
    Now don't close your eyes, and don't try to hide...

Next trip to Disneyland: December 3-6, 2011. I can't wait!!!

• Dapper Dan-nabe

I always see complaints about the course, but I've never been bothered by it. It's a little boring in the middle miles, but overall it's a fun race. I can't wait for this year because I'll finally be getting my Coast to Coast medal. In just over 1 week I'm flying out to Florida to run the Goofy Challenge! Can't wait!
    -SilentDante
    eliselzer.blogspot.com

Good luck in completing the Goofy!

Silly Spook, the course, in my opinion, is fast. There are some people that will complain about the miniscule hills at different points, but after running SF and some other bay area courses, the DLHM could be considered downhill. It is barely above sea level and other than the parks and the canal trail behind the ball park, the wide street lanes give you plenty of room to run. If you are trying to triangulate to run the shortest course possible, then there may be a couple runners in your pocket, but at least you will have someone to draft.

As far as the crowds – no big deal. It doesn’t seem any more crowded than any other summer weekend. We went to the park a couple weeks before Halloween this year and it was twice as crowded as it ever is Labor Day weekend for the race.

• ohai

Since it is a race, is there a prize for who comes out first? Maybe a year of Premium passes for your family (4)?

• Found my prince!

Thanks for the info. Just bookmarked the web site. Hoping to do the 5K this year!

In terms of prize money, I am 99% sure there are some behind-the-scenes awards given out. Typically the winners of this half are not citizen runners and are already fully sponsored (under 1:10 for the half). I figure if you win this thing, Disney should give you a lifetime pass. No big fan fare outside of the podium, just a quick hand shake and a AP good until you croak.

• Please pull the yellowtab

Thanks for posting info. about the race early BoygunaSurf! It's great to see MCers out there on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by SilentDante View Post
    I always see complaints about the course, but I've never been bothered by it. It's a little boring in the middle miles, but overall it's a fun race. I can't wait for this year because I'll finally be getting my Coast to Coast medal. In just over 1 week I'm flying out to Florida to run the Goofy Challenge! Can't wait!
    The 2010 1/2 marathon was my first. What I should have done was map out the course ahead of time and psychologically prep myself. Unfortunately most of my training was on flat terrain and I was stunned when I saw that we had to go over an overpass behind Circle D Ranch. It slowed me down but nothing to fret about.

This year I decided to go all out and do the Coast to Coast Challenge too. I can't believe the race is next Saturday! I won't be running competitively though. I'll be purely in tourist mode and will be walk-running the entire way through. I can't wait to see the castle for the first time .

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.

• Circle of Ancients

This was my first 1/2 marathon this year and I can't wait to run it again in 2011.

The course is fine, running through the parks is great so the first 4 miles breeze by. The middle miles are kind of tedious, but that can pretty much be said for any 1/2 (well, at least the 3 I have run). Running through Angel Stadium was a treat to be sure. And the crowds cheering you on are amazing.

Even though this was my first 1/2, it's still the best time I have put in for a 1/2. Hoping to have a new Personal Record to beat by September.

As for motivation to train for the event, just register. My motivation was not wasting the $100 I spent to run the race. For me, training for the race was the "work" part of it, the race was my reward.

• A spoonful of sugar!

I've been counting down the days until registration starts. Just started doing races in 2010 and figured the 1/2 at Disneyland would be a nice goal to keep on training in 2011. I'm even thinking about signing up my daughter for the 100 meter dash!

Good luck to all who are doing the WDW run. Go go go!!
    Its Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

I love this race! Yeah, some of the light industrial areas of Anaheim that we run through are a little boring, but the entertainment along the route is amazing. I love that so many youth groups from the area come out and either perform or yell encouragement. The course is wonderfully flat, which I enjoy since I train in very hilly Mission Viejo. I can't leave my front door without encountering a hill. Oh, and you might want to grab a pair of gloves for training even if you don't live in Northern California. It was 34 degrees when I ran this morning.

2011 will be my fourth time running this race and I can't wait! I might add that it's a lot more enjoyable if you're placed in one of the first corrals. I was able to finish in 2:06, 11 minutes off my time from the year before, simply by being placed with other runners rather than walkers.

• Circle of Ancients

^ What Corral were you in? I got moved up to Corral B due to a previous qualifying time on a 10K. And I agree, it's great to have.

I was in corral C. The year before, I went back to corral F (I think) because my son was placed in that corral after signing up with no qualifying time. In corral C, there were no bottlenecks or walkers to negotiate around. But then, you already know that since you were in B. You must have had a great experience too.

Corral positioning is crucial to getting off to a good start – I would think the back of C and beyond would be a bad place to be if you planned on running the race. The first year I did it (2007) I think I was back in F or something ridiculous like that and it took me forever to get in the open. You are right in terms of the first 4 miles or so breezing by; the parks are fun to trace around and they help get the jitters out. For me though, the best part about the race is being done!

• Circle of Ancients

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast