Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which Disneyland hotel should we choose for our first trip?

Dear all,

On September 5 and 6, 2011, we will be visiting Disneyland California for the very first time. I'm a huge Disney fan (visited Disneyland Paris more then 10 times) and visiting Disneyland California is just a dream come true. I really want to make sure that my visit is truly magical / just perfect.

While I don't have much experience with Disneyland California, I really need your advice! In which Disney hotel should we stay. I checked the Disneyland California website, and three types of rooms are still in the running:

- Disneyland Hotel 'Preferred Premium Deluxe' room.
    - Grand Californian Hotel 'Premium View' room.
    - Paradise Pier Hotel 'Concierge Theme Park View'.

Which room / option is the best to have 'a truly magical / just perfect' stay?

I heard that the Disneyland Hotel is currently being refurbished. Is that correct? Does it feel like being inside a huge building yard?

The Paradise Pier Hotel looks so basic. There is little to no theming? I miss some Disney magic... Or are the 'Concierge Theme Park View' rooms just magical?

Which hotel / room should I chose? Did you ever stayed in on of these? Did you like it? Maybe you have a photo to share?

Maybe you have noticed that we will be visiting Disneyland on Labor Day. Is that a problem? Will the parks not be to overcrowded?

Thank you all for an answer / your advice,

Looking forward to hear from you all!

Thijs and Max

• Minion

Re: Which Disneyland hotel should we chose for our first trip?

if it were me and my parents deciding i would pick The Grand Californian but that's my opinion the hotel is really nice and its easy to get into Cali Adventures and Downtown Disney, but I'm thinking the remodeled Disneyland rooms are very nice too

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

• Nutty guy from Canada

Welcome to the boards.

Don't be surprised if this gets moved to the Southern California travel planning forum as that is where questions such as this typically go.

No worries though.

I personally have stayed at the Disneyland Hotel in one of the non-refurbished rooms this past February and while it was a bit dated I found it very comfortable.

The refurbishment is supposed to go into 2012 so I have no idea what you will find in September of 2011.

My family is going to be staying in a Grand Villa (3 bedroom) at the Grand Californian Hotel in May and we are looking forward to that. I have walked through the lobby of this hotel and it is very nice indeed. (The Grand Villa is typically only available to members of the Disney Vacation Club (which we are) and there are only two of them in the hotel so we feel rather privileged to have been able to reserve it for an entire week.)

As for Paradise Pier, I know next to nothing about this hotel.

At the end of the day, non of the hotels really have views of Disneyland itself. The Grand Californian and Paradise Pier only have views of California Adventure which is undergoing massive expansion and renovation so you will see lots of construction.

So my suggestion would be to go with the cheapest room and save the extra money for the parks. (As you are no doubt aware they can be rather expensive.)

Good luck and enjoy the trip.
    The Chadwick's Online Photo & Video Galleries
    DLR: 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
    DCL: Alaska Cruise Aboard Disney Wonder 2013
    Planned Trips: DLR November 2015, WDW March 2018

Very Happy Disney Vacation Club Member Since 2010
    270 Points at The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

I've stayed at all three.
    PP: (IMO) it feels like an over priced best western (others might not agree). Nothing feels disney about.
    DH: prior to current refurb, this place was pricy, but you felt the disney spirit.
    GC: very nice. Overly priced, but extremely nice and relaxing...but you can get that feeling for free by hanging out in the lobby and eating over there. If you have money to burn (no object), nice place to stay.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Johnny and Me!

Paradise Pier concierge has the bonus of unlimited snacks, drinks, and Disney movie rentals. The rooms have an excellent view of DCA and an okay view of World of Color.

If you don't care about that, go with Grand Californian. DLH is a mess of construction right now.

This was the same quesiton we had in deciding where to stay since it was our kids' first time and we also wanted them to experience the full "Disney Magic." After talking it over and discussing the good and bad points, ultimately we decided against staying at any of the hotels because they were way overpriced and from the pictures, they didn't seem really nice, except for the Grand hotel. $500 a night at the Grand wasn't worth it to just sleep there because really, we want to spend our time inside Disneyland and not in the hotel.

Instead, we decided to stay at one of the neighboring hotels and picked a nicer one and still saved a lot of money and figured that saved money went to gas, food, clothes, snacks, premium annual passes, etc. For us, it was the right decision because for the amount of money they were asking for, it wasn't even like we were staying at the Four Seasons or the Ritz.

I guess it all depends on what's important to you. We asked some of oour friends that have stayed at the Disney hotels and asked them if there was anything special about it. There is something to say about the convienence of being right there for Downtown Disney but again, we went to go to Disneyland and not Downtown Disney.

Afterall, the hotel room is a hotel room. Of course some of the things are Disney themed. I saw a picture where the shampoo and conditioner were shaped in Mickey heads and the lobby looks awesome but again, for us, we should only be back at the hotel to sleep. As it turns out, when we did go back to the hotel, the kids were so tired, even if Mickey was standing out in the lobby ready to take pictures, it wouldn't have happened. Hope this helps.

• Sock Puppet

Blog Entries

The Grand Californian. It's expensive, but if it can be afforded, I'd stay there. The location can't be beat. You have your own entrance into DCA, it's the closest to the Disneyland entrance, and the hotel is absolutely beautiful. I loved staying there. If one can afford it I always suggest they stay there, so amazing! Have an amazing trip by the way!!

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Grand Californian.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• ohai

Eloquence:
    Grand Californian.

View:
    Grand Californian.

Price:
    Motel 6

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

We stayed at the DLH in May, they where doing construction on the center tower I think it was. We didn't have any problems then, but no idea what it's like now. I think the DLH was the most classic Disney, we loved it! PP was cool, we've stayed there a lot, but if the price of DLH is pretty close then go for DLH. Never stayed at GC, it reminds me too much of the dormitory of a particular private college I went to...lol!
    Yaye!

• Bring back the Keelboats!

I have stayed in all three and, for some unknown reason, prefer the Paradise Pier.

But, for the first time, my choice would be the Disneyland Hotel for the historical aspect of it being the first. The closeness of the Monorail for entry into the Park is also a bonus.

The Grand Calif does have wonderful views of Cal Adventure and with the World of Color opening, you can see part of that show - depending on which side you are located. You can't see the projections onto the water, but the fountains and colors are wonderful! The Hotel itself is beautiful, but, with my druthers, I'd rather stay at one of the others.

Which ever you choose, you will have a wonderful stay!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• no flash photography...

We've stayed at all three and the GCH is by far our favorite.

Last September I stayed at the Disneyland hotel. They had us in the Wonder tower at first, it was awful. The walk was horrendous, there was construction....they graciously moved us to the main tower--Magic?--and it was wonderful! Even with the construction and the view of the parking lot, the magic was not diminished. It truly has the 'I'm in Disneyland' feel, especially walking through Downtown Disney and under the Mickey Hat.

Of course, if you could swing it, I'd stay at the Howard Johnson and stay another night. ;D

Grand Californian is BEAUTIFUL. But it felt more like a lodge to me than Disneyland...but I've only walked through it. It's always been WAY too expensive.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyRicky View Post
    Eloquence:
    Grand Californian.

View:
    Grand Californian.

Price:
    Motel 6

This. If money is no object and you can afford it go for the Grand Californian. As soon as I hit the lottery, I'm booking a week there....

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Got Jack?

Location! Location! Location! Grand Californian!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast