Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

• Yesterland AP

Frontierland expansion - What's your take?

Frontierland would be expanded a LOT if they tear out the Circle D Ranch and Festival of Fools arena, per the plans Al Lutz shared with us last year. But to REALLY make an impact, they should also rethink the BBQ place (nice though it is) and the Fantasyland/Videopolis Theater. That entire stretch is contiguous and would constitute about 1/5th of the park. It would make a great spot for a wonderful, sprawling E-ticket attraction like the Jungle Cruise, Nature's Wonderland or the Western River Expedition or something else. (Your ideas welcome.)

One idea that comes to mind is Eddie Sotto's old unused idea for Knott's, where a flash-flood sweeps you (in a raft or something) through the desert and through an old mining boom town -- Inside saloons with gunslingers having a shootout over the table-tops, cattle swimming around you, etc.

Personally, I think a Frontierland expansion is the most interesting growth opportunity Disneyland has had for a long time, and I wonder why there hasn't been more discussion and daydreaming here.

I know we're talking about enough property to create a whole new land, but my vote would be for an expansion of Frontierland -- Or possibly the expansion of both Frontierland AND Fantasyland. Frankly, Disney's track record with creating iconic and inspiring NEW lands has been fairly underwhelming, beginning with Bear Country in the 1970s.

On the other hand, Disneyland has done a fairly good job of adding new attractions within each land's existing themes over the years. (Star Tours, Indiana Jones, etc). So again, my vote is for the same old lands -- just MORE of 'em.

How does everyone else feel about this? I mean, THINK of it! They have the opportunity to make DL's functional space 1/5th larger! Given a decent budget, the possibilities are endless!

(I looked for an existing thread to post this in, but the most recent one FOF Area/Circle D Ranch... Frontierland Expansion or New Land was "Closed." Not sure how closing threads helps. But there's progress for you.)

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Re: Frontierland expansion - What's your take?

Well 1st the FL Theater is far from Frontierland unless to want to turn Fantasyland into Frontierland. I came up with concept mixing Nature's Wonderland and Western River Expedition. I'll post the picture I made of Windows paint of the scenes and layout. Maybe put in a Geyser Mountain somewhere. I would add more wetern - houses around that area with shops and more restaurants. Fronteirland - with only 1 attraction making it the land with the rides - needs more stuff for capacity and not just a thrill ride. The kids need something to do while one of their parents or older siblings are riding Big Thunder. I choose a good ole' fashion slow emmersive E-Ticket ride. I think Frontierland needs about 2 - 3 more rides so it could be the land for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• Closed Account

One of the best proposals I've seen would bring another mountain to the park.

• Senior Minion

It's definitely exciting to think that they might finally be putting all that space to use. I really don't know what to expect though. I have lots of ideas of what they could do, but I really don't know what to expect. In terms of just the basics, I think they need a pretty major attraction that's fairly ride friendly. Something that's a big draw to get people back there, but probably not too limiting physically. Ideally, I think two E-tickets, and maybe 2-3 smaller attractions. That way they could add a major thrill ride and a major family ride and a couple smaller attractions for everyone. I also think they should design new keel boats that take you from NOS to this new section of FL. If it wouldn't be problematic for the system, it would be nice to have another DLRR station there as well. I'd also love to see them get rid of all the dead ends, ideally this new area would connect to Toon Town and Critter Country.

In terms of the supporting elements, I'd love to see a more rustic boom town area built with real working shops like a blacksmith and leather makers. I agree that they should scrap the BBQ as it is, but they could probably work some of the existing buildings into this new area and open a new restaurant using some of the same infrastructure. I'd also add infrastructure to be able to have Cowboy stunt shows on the roofs and around the area.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

^
    UmmmmNo:
    No thankyou for another thrill ride right now especially if it's low capacity
    Western River Expedition sounds like a nce idea for family attraction themed to Frontierland

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    ^
    UmmmmNo:
    No thankyou for another thrill ride right now especially if it's low capacity
    Western River Expedition sounds like a nce idea for family attraction themed to Frontierland
    Who says it's a thrill ride? Not me.

• Minion

All the mountains at Disneyland have been made into thrill rides
    What makes you think a new mountain wouldn't be made into a thrill ride?

• Closed Account

All the mountains at Disneyland have been made into thrill rides
    What makes you think a new mountain wouldn't be made into a thrill ride?
    Because I know what would go in said mountain.

• Minion

ok what would go in this mountain

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Ummmmm, No View Post
    Because I know what would go in said mountain.
    Agreed... just because it is a mountain does not mean it has to be a thrill ride. It could also have thrilling elements without being a thrill ride.

ok what would go in this mountain
    I don't think he's at liberty to say. Whether he knows because he works for Disney, or because he knows someone who does, or because he saw things on a tour of WDI... he won't be able to disclose most of what he knows, just like many of the CMs who post here can drop hints, but can't really say what they might know.

I would actually love to see the whole Fantasyland Theater complex be torn down. Build a fairly large show building in there and split it in two... on the Fantasyland side do a Beauty and the Beast dark ride (subject for another thread entirely) and on the Frontierland side use the building for interior sections of an indoor/outdoor E-ticket attraction. Doing this allows for the Festival of Fools, Circle D ranch area to house a couple C tickets, restaurants and shops as well as common areas and gives a new decent sized ride to Fantasyland as well. Or if you want to get crazy you can build a queue in Toon Town and have it go under the RR tracks into the show building and be an addition to Toon Town. Or we could go crazier still and do a Alice/Toad and have the building shared vertically for portions so both get a ride while the Frontierland gets to maximize its available space even more.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Minion

^
    The more room the better

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I don't think he's at liberty to say. Whether he knows because he works for Disney, or because he knows someone who does, or because he saw things on a tour of WDI... he won't be able to disclose most of what he knows, just like many of the CMs who post here can drop hints, but can't really say what they might know.
    Thank you.

• Banned User

As for the expanded Frontierland, I would put in the Western River Expedition with a backwards portion added on to it to make it unique from Pirates. That way, it won't be the same boat ride just Western-themed. After all, FL needs a major E-Ticket ride that can appeal to just about anybody and be very high capacity at the same time.

Second attraction could be the return of Country Bear Jamboree or some C-Ticket show.

Third would be an E-ticket Mine car roller coaster of some sort.

And the fourth attraction would be a Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland-ish ride. (I was going to mention a Stage Coach ride, but that would be too low capacity. Besides, Knott's already has one.) Just some thinking off the top of my head.

As for the Fantasyland theater, I think a major E-Ticket for FL should go there. Maybe something like Pooh's Hunny Hunt in TDL, but themed to Beauty and the Beast or something like that.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid112 View Post
    As for the expanded Frontierland, I would put in the Western River Expedition with a backwards portion added on to it to make it unique from Pirates. That way, it won't be the same boat ride just Western-themed. After all, FL needs a major E-Ticket ride that can appeal to just about anybody and be very high capacity at the same time.

Second attraction could be the return of Country Bear Jamboree or some C-Ticket show.

Third would be an E-ticket Mine car roller coaster of some sort.

And the fourth attraction would be a Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland-ish ride. (I was going to mention a Stage Coach ride, but that would be too low capacity. Besides, Knott's already has one.) Just some thinking off the top of my head.

As for the Fantasyland theater, I think a major E-Ticket for FL should go there. Maybe something like Pooh's Hunny Hunt in TDL, but themed to Beauty and the Beast or something like that.
    Nothing remotely close to the Western River Expedition or Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland are being proposed.

In addition, Country Bear Jamboree is never coming back.

Not trying to be a rain cloud, simply guiding the conversation with facts...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Ummmmm, No View Post
    Nothing remotely close to the Western River Expedition or Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland are being proposed.

In addition, Country Bear Jamboree is never coming back.

Not trying to be a rain cloud, simply guiding the conversation with facts...
    Interesting...I hope it would be better than WRE. I really don't care what they put in there. As long as it doesn't have anything to do with Woody or Wall-E, then bring it on! I'm ready for more stuff!

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast