Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Disneyland Hotel Early 60's Photos

Where would this be today ?

Wow, great pictures.

I love the vintage hotel sign, it would have been nice if they would just hold onto that since there is so little in the park now that was there originally, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by SydneyMouse View Post
    Wow, great pictures.

I love the vintage hotel sign, it would have been nice if they would just hold onto that since there is so little in the park now that was there originally, you know?
    The sign wasn't actually an original fixture at the Hotel. The earliest I can see the sign from any photos I have is mid-1957. It may have been there earlier but I have no evidence of this.

• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

More More...... I will still by a new book even if you post them here. The sight of that parking lot tram made me weak in the knees. I loved that tram getting on that was a bone chilling moment when you knew you were really going in.

• Minion

This is just great! I am so enjoying looking at these pictures.
    I was born and raised in Anaheim, as was my father.
    While never staying at the hotel ourselves, we had plenty of family and friends who would come from around the country and stay there (if they weren't staying with us).
    We'd go over to visit them, and I remember wandering the grounds. It had a very magical quality about it.
    Later I would become a Tomorrowland and Fantasyland Attractions CM at the park from '83 through '94, and at the time the Attractions division also included the Parking Lot.
    I would occasionally get pulled out there, and at the time those old trams were the ones we used to transport the characters around backstage to get them to the general areas of the park where they would be making their appearances for the guests onstage. Likewise we'd transport the parade CMs around as well on those trams.
    It was a trip.....very different from driving the newer blue and yellow trams (that have also gone by the wayside).
    I look at your pictures and how cool it is to know I actually drove those trams, as ancient as they were by the time I drove them. LOL. Thanks for bringing back so many memories!!
    Am I the only one who looks at these pictures and longs for a time when life seemed so much simpler? (Of course, I know it's all relative....people who lived back then probably longed for the 30s and 40s---lol).
    Still....even though the world had its share of troubles back then too, I think we were better guarded from it, and that made childhood seem a little better.
    Thanks for sharing these pictures.
    I am going to buy that book!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Thanks for these AMAZING old shots!

Thank you very much for sharing these pictures! It's always cool to see what Disneyland looked like back in the day..Wow..You really don't realize how much change has happened until one see's it for themselves. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    While never staying at the hotel ourselves, we had plenty of family and friends who would come from around the country and stay there (if they weren't staying with us).
    We'd go over to visit them, and I remember wandering the grounds. It had a very magical quality about it.
    Later I would become a Tomorrowland and Fantasyland Attractions CM at the park from '83 through '94, and at the time the Attractions division also included the Parking Lot.
    I would occasionally get pulled out there, and at the time those old trams were the ones we used to transport the characters around backstage to get them to the general areas of the park where they would be making their appearances for the guests onstage. Likewise we'd transport the parade CMs around as well on those trams.
    It was a trip.....very different from driving the newer blue and yellow trams (that have also gone by the wayside).
    I look at your pictures and how cool it is to know I actually drove those trams, as ancient as they were by the time I drove them. LOL. Thanks for bringing back so many memories!!
    Am I the only one who looks at these pictures and longs for a time when life seemed so much simpler? (Of course, I know it's all relative....people who lived back then probably longed for the 30s and 40s---lol).
    Still....even though the world had its share of troubles back then too, I think we were better guarded from it, and that made childhood seem a little better.
    It's when people respond like you have that inspires me to post more pictures. The whole purpose of doing this and one of the most fun aspects of collecting/reseraching/learning Disney is sharing with others. I will download more pictures a bit later today. If anybody else has any other favorite memories from the Disneyland Hotel, just let me know and I will dig up some pics.

Am I the only one who looks at these pictures and longs for a time when life seemed so much simpler?

I am right there with you my friend!!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by oldhotelguy View Post
    It's when people respond like you have that inspires me to post more pictures. The whole purpose of doing this and one of the most fun aspects of collecting/reseraching/learning Disney is sharing with others. I will download more pictures a bit later today. If anybody else has any other favorite memories from the Disneyland Hotel, just let me know and I will dig up some pics.
    Thanks!!! And look forward to seeing more. Your book is available in the Downtown Disney area, right?

Funny how my dad was never a huge Disneyland fan, but I know he'd get a kick out of seeing that book.

• Sock Puppet

I am in love with this thread.

I am so glad people are enjoying these. Are you ready for some new pictures? OK, here goes. I picked some with no central theme, just some I thought were interesting. First one is for my Disneyland Hotel tram fans!

Next looks like a typical family enjoying their stay at the Disneyland Hotel.

My two favorite things, 50's cars and the Disneyland Hotel. This shot has Bonita Granville in the Wrather's brand new 1957 Cadillac El Dorado custom. What a cool picture.

This 1964 picture shows an eleven year-old Chris Wrather with his father Jack at the Disneyland Hotel. The "Hotel Disneyland" sign had just been installed in the Tower Building behind them.

This one above is interesting. It show the Wrather Corporation bus sitting outside the brand-new Marina Tower in 1970. I had never seen the company bus before.

The last photo shows the brand new Disneyland Hotel sign taken in 1957.

Thanks!!! And look forward to seeing more. Your book is available in the Downtown Disney area, right?

Funny how my dad was never a huge Disneyland fan, but I know he'd get a kick out of seeing that book.
    Compass Books at Downtown Disney.

It was the early 90s when my mom and I would stay at the Disneyland Hotel everytime we went. She recalls how back then, you could just call for a hotel bus from the airport and a shuttle would pick you up free of charge. (Ah, simpler times they were.)

We often ended up in the Bonita Tower, and we would make a trip downstairs nightly to catch Fantasy Waters. They had chairs and beach chairs out along that ol' patio, and we often sat there to get a better view, as the standing room area could be crowded.

I have some photos of the show, the grounds, and Goofys Kitchen back then. We'd also have breakfast there with the characters, near the old olympic sized pool. I fondly remember the Plaza Shops, and catching the Monorail. It seemed like it was a closer walk back then. We'd go up the steps and there you were. The merchandise was so much better back then.

I remember walking around the Marina and always wanting to take the boats, but since I was young and my mom couldn't swim, I never did. I do remember going down into the arcade once (hard to find photos from inside it though).

I always loved how the windows open and you could (barely) step out onto the balcony. I'm glad at least some Bonita Tower rooms have a balcony still, even though they cost more.

I remember going to the Disneyland Hotel in the mid 90's. It was a beautiful, warm summer evening and we had just returned to the Disneyland Hotel from the Park. We were sitting outside near the shops just enjoying the atmosphere and the people. All of a sudden, a band showed up and started taking requests for songs. We sat out there along with several other people just singing our lungs out to Disney songs. I had so much fun and it was an evening I will never forget. Sounds silly but it was really special.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast