Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Cheap Goofy's Flight School Video. Wingless Vehicle. Good Thing Ride Is Temporary!

YouTube - Disney California Adventure Park Expansion Continues with Goofy's Sky School

This is a fun lettle film. It gives a breaf background snippet about the rides theme. But, theres's no sneak peak at any of the elements of the ride.

Below are some concept art pictures that look interesting enough. Unfortunately, it looks to be built so much on the cheap that I don't quite understand why disney is even calling it a new attraction. The track layout remains the same, and the "planes" don't have wings. It has been announced on MiceChat that this is a temporary attraction placeholder for a major or eticket future ride. I just didn't expect it to be so blaringly cheap.

http://www.chipandco.com/wp-content/...0260161520.jpg
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-05-2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Hotlinked images, against site rules
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Re: Cheap Goofy's Flight School Video. Wingless Vehicle. Good Thing Ride Is Temporary

Both of your complaints about the ride aren't really valid. The ride is already a standard Mack wild mouse (Mack Rides GmbH & Co KG | Products | Coasters | Wild Mouse | Picture Gallery | Wild Mouse) and cannot be easily adjusted layout wise without creating a huge mess, and adding wings to the car could cause huge clearance problems.

I also think it is too early to dismiss the ride as cheap looking.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Cheap Goofy's Flight School Video. Wingless Vehicle. Good Thing Ride Is Temporary

Quote Originally Posted by MactheMan View Post
    Both of your complaints about the ride aren't really valid. The ride is already a standard Mack wild mouse (Mack Rides GmbH & Co KG | Products | Coasters | Wild Mouse | Picture Gallery | Wild Mouse) and cannot be easily adjusted layout wise without creating a huge mess, and adding wings to the car could cause huge clearance problems.

I also think it is too early to dismiss the ride as cheap looking.
    You're more understanding than I am MacThe Man. Obviously, the ride will have it's fan base. I look forward to giving it a try. Personally speaking though, my Goofy complaints still stand.

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of the ride, but I don't think the two shortcomings you listed aren't exactly valid. Granted, looking at the concept art, there are things I could see improved, but then again, its just concept art.

• Banned User

Cheap video?

It's a teaser video. Do you honestly want Disney to bring in a top notch Hollywood film directing team and build an elaborate set for a ride that doesn't exist yet?

I thought it was a cute short that gave me a feeling of the old style of the ride. I liked it.

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

The "old" ride was cheap looking.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Parking Lot > DCA

I don't know, the first two concept photos make it look real bland, but the last one with the clouds gives it potential to be really cool. They are called "concept" drawings for a reason, so who knows what the outcome will be (hopefully more like the last one).

• Minion

For me, anything that gets rid of that hideous ultracheap carnival facade of Mulholland Drive and the sickening gray-green paintjob is a good thing.

However, I think they should drop the pretense that this is a themed ride at all and just say that it's a coaster, like California Screamin'.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by MactheMan View Post
    I wouldn't say I'm a fan of the ride, but I don't think the two shortcomings you listed aren't exactly valid. Granted, looking at the concept art, there are things I could see improved, but then again, its just concept art.
    Yeah. Perhaps the actual ride will be much more fun than these early concept renderings indicate.

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Cheap video?

It's a teaser video. Do you honestly want Disney to bring in a top notch Hollywood film directing team and build an elaborate set for a ride that doesn't exist yet?

I thought it was a cute short that gave me a feeling of the old style of the ride. I liked it.
    Point taken. It's difficult to advertise a ride that hasn't been built (or remodeled in this case).

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    The "old" ride was cheap looking.
    The old ride was tied with the Malidoomer for the ICKY YUCKY award.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    I don't know, the first two concept photos make it look real bland, but the last one with the clouds gives it potential to be really cool. They are called "concept" drawings for a reason, so who knows what the outcome will be (hopefully more like the last one).
    The last picture was too small and far away to get a good idea of the details. But, one can see enough to determine there is some high caliber potential - which is a much better impression than the first two leave.

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    For me, anything that gets rid of that hideous ultracheap carnival facade of Mulholland Drive and the sickening gray-green paintjob is a good thing.

However, I think they should drop the pretense that this is a themed ride at all and just say that it's a coaster, like California Screamin'.
    Well they should certainly drop the pretense of a flight school theme. Why would Disney create such a theme when there are no planes. Perhaps they should have called it Goofy Chitty Bang Bang or Flubber Goof. Cheee...I know.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Well they should certainly drop the pretense of a flight school theme. Why would Disney create such a theme when there are no planes. Perhaps they should have called it Goofy Chitty Bang Bang or Flubber Goof. Cheee...I know.
    I would argue Space Mountain's 'Rockets' don't look like Rockets at all - when are 2 Rockets connected together? Where are the fins? Wings?

In Disney Parks, as in theater, there is a suspense of disbelief - in some cases the physicality can only go so far and your imagination must take you the rest of the way. Such is the case for Goofy's Sky School...

• =)

I think it's safe to say that the Space Mountain ride vehicles are far more evocative of rockets than the GSS ride vehicles in this concept art are of airplanes. That being said, there surely must have been significant clearance issues with the existing track. Sometimes things just can't be done, at least not without making some financially irresponsible decisions.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I like the original ride, fun little silly ride, so changing it too much... Eh. The video was cute. How are they going to do the clouds on the ride though?

• Minion

As with a lot of the DCA make over is it the best thing they could have done for the area probably not but considering what they have to work with I think it will be a step in the right direction!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post

It's not a pretense if it's true. And Screamin' is also themed to the area. Coaster doesn't mean it has no design.

As for the pics I don't see anything cheap looking about it. I agree, personal feelings are getting in the way of judging this ride fairly. DCA needs characters attractions badly.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast