Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Closed Account

Riots. There's another themeing concept.

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

Since they haven't tried it yet, I suggest Disney try something with a CALIFORNIA theme. That would be unique and different. ;-)

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    And I respond... look at the evidence. These types of attractions receive luke-warm response at introduction, and within 5-10 years are simply empty.

I'm an atheist. I'd LOVE to see Disney do an attraction based on how silly religions are. HOWEVER, I can see that attraction just wouldn't be a hit, and I don't want Disney wasting very limited capital improvement dollars on something that isn't going to be a hit.

Basing a ride off Literaturs and Art, may be a hit with 2% of the guests... for the first few months or maybe even a year. Beyond that, even those "into" literature and art will have "been there, done that".

Edutainment is NOT repeatable. Fun, fantastic, imaginative, magical IS repeatable. All attractions should be repeatable... therefore, Attractions should not be edutainment-y.
    I did not say this attractions would be crowd pleasers, you misinterpreted my response. Educational attractions don't have to be limited to the pavilion set up of Epcot, Florida. Expand your mind, to consider new and exciting possibilities for interactive environments that promote learning like Innoventions, the Animation workshop at DCA, the factory tours on the Whorf.

Just because you wouldn't go more than once you assume that Disney should cater to repeat business of locals and APs only? Some families can only come once every few years at best or at worst once. So spare me your repeatability factor. Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln is not repeatable by your standard, nor is Tiki Room or Aladdin or the 3d Movies. Please.

Lastly, I think you should reserve your the application of your feelings for religion outside posts regarding Disneyland- a land designed to make all feel welcome. That sort of negativity on that level is not constructive to this thread or this site.

Okay potentially tenuous idea here but how about a development involving Yosemite. For us that is one of our highlights in our visits to the state so could they possibly create a ride or experience themed more overtly like this? Possible ideas right now involve the old fire show they used to have at Half Dome - maybe a re-creation of this at night. Was thinking something along the ideas of hangliding round the park but then this is covered in Soaring - doh!
    Ah well - shall give it some more thought in between uni essays!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    I did not say this attractions would be crowd pleasers,
    More things that guests don't like...

Oh, okay. I get it... You've convinced me.

Yeah, Disney should spend their very limited capital improvement budget on attractions most guest won't like. Yes, they need more attractions like Innoventions, Golden Dreams, the factory tours, Sorcer's Workshop..... Makes perfect sense to me.

Lastly, I think you should reserve your the application of your feelings for religion outside posts regarding Disneyland- a land designed to make all feel welcome. That sort of negativity on that level is not constructive to this thread or this site.
    While I appreciate your opinion, I'm going to ignore it. I would not mind if someone mentioned they are Christian, so see no reason anyone should be offended by my mention of my atheism.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by emz84
    Okay potentially tenuous idea here but how about a development involving Yosemite.
    How about you just get in your car and drive 5 hours and see the REAL THING!!!!

Why on earth would anyone want to see a shrunk down, weak imitation when the real thing is a few hours away!?!?!?!?

And, sadly, Grizzly Peak is already a weak imitation of the real thing.

Go see the REAL sequoias. I live in Arizona, but every year I drive out to spend time in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks.

• șoș Tom șoș

While I appreciate your opinion, I'm going to ignore it. I would not mind if someone mentioned they are Christian, so see no reason anyone should be offended by my mention of my atheism.
    I feel the same way but what you mentioned was an exhibit to promote the education against how did you put it "THOSE SILLY RELIGIONS" I did not call athehism silly and I am simply stating that an opinion as such, even fascious does not belong in a group like this, it brings down the levity of good people, religious or otherwise.

Besides I don't need to convience YOU about the importance of educationally based rides. Disney already conceides the point. It was part of Walt's vision of lifting the best elements from the World's Faires, which included educational exhibits. Just because we are moving forward in to the next millenium, we should not abandon the idelogy that Walt started.

• Minion

Being a Bay Area girl, I really loathe the "San Francisco" area that is basically a block of houses that don't even look like SF victorians. Cable cars, anyone? As a Big Thunder ride or just transportation; that area is really lacking.

Or how about some Haight Ashbury?

• Minion

Just a friendly reminder...

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    This is intended as the most non-confrontational thread in the world.
    That said... I think Cannery Row was a great example of taking the idea of California Literature and translating it into a theme. I mean, if nothing else, that seems a much more interesting, specific and immersive theme than the generic "Pacific Wharf." Of course, having lived in Steinbeck Country, I have to resist the urge to change the name of the Mision tour to "Tortilla Flats."

Anyhoo, lots of cool ideas so far.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

How about you just get in your car and drive 5 hours and see the REAL THING!!!!

Why on earth would anyone want to see a shrunk down, weak imitation when the real thing is a few hours away!?!?!?!?

And, sadly, Grizzly Peak is already a weak imitation of the real thing.

Go see the REAL sequoias. I live in Arizona, but every year I drive out to spend time in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks.
    I have gone and spent time in Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia parks, in fact on our trips every two years we do make the effort and go and see the parks themselves.

And the same could be said of a lot of DCA, that the real thing is within driving distance - for example the Hollywood backlot springs to mind.

I agree that it is better to go and see the real thing but at the same time isn't DCA supposed to be a microchism of the Golden State?

Grizzly Peaks is one of my fave rides and altho it is a weak imitation it could just have a little resculpturing for those people who fly out to LA and think that is all there is to CA

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Orcatime
    Extreme theme - from Death Valley to the Sierra Nevada
    Just curious... are you meaning like an Extreme Sports kind of extreme? DCA already had an X Games event, so if Disney didn't burn any bridges, there could be a sponsorship/partnership?

Of course, if you were being literal about the two extremes, I think that's something Condor Flats could communicate better than it does.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Banned User

the same could be said of a lot of DCA, that the real thing is within driving distance - for example the Hollywood backlot springs to mind.
    exactly... The whole them of DCA, not just the execution, is the problem.

Fortunatly, Disney is running away from the original theme as fast as budgets will allow.

I agree that it is better to go and see the real thing but at the same time isn't DCA supposed to be a microchism of the Golden State?
    Which is why the park has to give away tickets.

• Banned User

Besides I don't need to convience YOU about the importance of educationally based rides. Disney already conceides the point.
    Really.

What is the last "education based" attraction opened in a Disney park?

Once upon a time they built education based rides. Then they realized that they aren't very popular when they open, and are even less popular within a couple years.

Therefore, Disney doesn't build them any more.

• Minion

Now you're just joking... right!?! You have to be!!!

You're just trying to find an idea that is worse than "city-dump-land", right?

Who's going to pay $53 to go to a library/museum? NO ONE!!!!!

It has to be fun!!!! Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun................... and mix in some FUN!

People do NOT go to theme parks to be bored to sleep. If they did, Golden Dreams would be much more popular.
    Don't let us be SILLY! Sarcastic monkey boy...

Twain (Celibrated Jumping Frog of Calivaris County, there is nothing more fun than having jumping bullfrogs?)
    Stevenson (He made Petrified Forest's cool - Did you know the first time he used a Telephone he was at the Union Hotel in Calistoga California? This is the same guy that wrote... Wow, Treasure Island? Who doesn't like to BE a pirate)
    London (The Wolf House in Sonoma? The shack he lived in at the Docks of Oakland CA... The man was a winemaker as well as a literary genius... As well as looked snappy in a Pee-coat... Ahh, the smell of the sea and high adventure...)
    Stienbeck (I would love for kids to discover that Lenny comes from Of Mice & Men about two struggling workers in Butte County traveling from Weed to Yuba City durring the depression... Besides who doesn't love Mouse!!!! and hug him and pet him and call him... Mickey...)

It's all in the presentation...

Do you thing this is integrated into the park? No... Is it part of a California Aventure's theme? Yes...

But wait!!!! "Disney does not have an obigation to educate." - Michael Eisner
    Check out my other blog:

• șoș Tom șoș

Really. What is the last "education based" attraction opened in a Disney park? Once upon a time they built education based rides. Then they realized that they aren't very popular when they open, and are even less popular within a couple years. Therefore, Disney doesn't build them any more.
    They revamped Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln didn't they? Also Innoventions (an educational and informative operation) was opened in the late 90's. Only new rides recently at all have been dark rides (thanks Pressler) Besides when was the last time they opened an original E-class ride either? Tower of Terror is a cloned ride so don't star that bs and Indy was early 90's if memory serves. ....so once upon a time must be just a few years ago.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast