Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Since we've been talking a great deal about Eureka Bay with a possible San Francisco expansion ... why not some sort of earthquake themed ride?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sters
    How about a gold rush themed area/attraction.... California of days gone by. (But not the Donner Party... )
    You mean, you don't want to have dinner with Donner? Imagine the menu humor...

Beef, it's not what's for dinner.

The OTHER other white meat.

And so on.

But back to the topic... your Donner post reminded me of a trip I took to Tahoe. Why couldn't there be more snow in DCA? I think right now, it dusts GRR and that's it. Bobsleds have been done (though I think they could be done again, in an entirely new way), but how about an indoor ski slope. You ride a suspended car like Peter Pan, but theme it to a ski lift. You can have humorous visions of bas skiers as you climb up. Then you crest the hill, and the ride becomes a ski jump. Basically, you have an immersive, family-friendly version of Silver Bullet... I think if they redid DCA right, they could even play on the WinterSummeLand concept... the West side has all of your summer activities. The East Side is skiing and sledding. And, of course, HPB could show us the movie magic behind creating a snowy environment. (Instead of my Mos Eisley Star Tours set, do Hoth, etc.)

Or, just do like Disneyland, and admit that one mountain is not enough. It's California, we can use some more Sierras.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MegarooFifi
    Ahh, I apologize then, as I misunderstood your original intent. :o
    No apology necessary, we got really derailed.

Besides, I liked your idea of the dinosaurs. As soon as you mentioned La Brea, it set off the little "ding ding ding, we have a winner" bells in my head. Yeah, we've seen everything from Primeval World to Primeval Whirl, but despite the complaints I have heard about AK's Dinosaur/Indy ride, I think they were on to something, but the idea hasn't reached its peak, and maybe it could here.

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Importance
    Since we've been talking a great deal about Eureka Bay with a possible San Francisco expansion ... why not some sort of earthquake themed ride?
    Kind of like the part of the Universal Studios Backlot tour? Might not be such a bad idea...
    Remain Seated Please..... :o

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    On some level, I agree. However, as I found myself saying in a different thread, DCA needs a new gameplan.When you look at the positioning of GRR, ToT, and even the entrance gate itself, the park just feels to willy-nilly, especially as opposed to the park just across the way.
    Oh thank goodness I am not alone in this feeling. Once you enter from the giant sun fountain area to paradise pier is a nice path but its slightly obstructed and curves and splits at paradise pier.

My suggestion to correct this are as follows. Fine so the main path veers from the straight course, but why not just make it a little more straight and rather than splitting at Paradise Pier, cross the lagoon. Anything to the right of this dividing pier: The kiddie area, dinosaur sunglass hut, the Mullholland Madness ride, the Zepher, etc- should be removed in favor for expansion area for the Redwood area/Goldrush area. I like the Orange blossum so I think it should be moved.

I think a straight course from the Paradise Pier to the Sun Ftn, would improve the layout and feel. Also remove those damn house facaides between Redwood area and Paradise Pier guest confuss those with a poor man's verision of Main Street.

Lastly the Timon lot needs to be expanded, we all realize that the backlot area will probably blob its way over the years back there, but more emphasis on the three major metropolitan areas (SD, SF and LA) is absoultly necessary, as well as a major major focus on the Mexican culture which created California. How they do it and what they put back there is out of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggeriffic
    Kind of like the part of the Universal Studios Backlot tour? Might not be such a bad idea...
    No, I was thinking of something a bit more interactive and random. Would it be possible to marry something like Pooh's Hunny Hunt system with Indiana Jones? Cars that move about, trackless and seemingly at random, that react and shutter differently every time you ride. The cars might be touring cars of the early part of the century, sightseeing in the great city by the Bay when disaster strikes and is narrowly averted.

• Sock Puppet

I have two ideas, first idea is a little "extention" (not really but I want to call it that) of the Bay Area area of the park. I would make a bown scaled model of both the Gold Gate and Bay bridges to cross Paradise Bay (ones that you could walk arcross), and rename the bay, San Francisco Bay (Note: The monorail Golden Gate, I would take out). Plus I'd put a Cable Car ride in the area too.

The second idea is for a new land. I haven't come up with a name for it yet, but it would be based on the city of Redding. And I'd build a model of the Sacramento River with the Sundial bridge. And some other things too. (For those of you who don't know, Redding is a city that takes a 4 and half hour drive going noth from Sacramento.)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by E-ticket
    I think there's really something to the whole Gold Rush idea. Think of how immersive an attraction that could be... put the guest right smack in the middle of 1849. There is plenty of room for the education factor (I still remember learning about the gold rush in the 4th grade), and if done well (Indy-style attention to detail), it could be an awesome ride. It wouldn't necessarily have to be a big thrill ride, either. I'm thinking Indy meets POTC.

Just make sure you do the education thing right. If you're going to tell the story of the hard working white man that came to strike it rich, you better tell of the Mexican-American war were we stole California from Mexico, and of the Chineese workers that really did most of the work for very little pay, and you better show the clear cutting of forrests and stirp mining of the land and the pollution of the land.

As for the Donner party, about 4 years ago there was a thread at LaughingPlace (long before I got banned from there) entitled "What attractions should NOT be added to DCA". My answer was "The Donner Party Grill"..... So, you're about 4 years late with that joke.... And I'm sure I wasn't first to make a joke about a Donner Party themed restaurant.

The original planned entrance, as I heard it, was between GCH and Condor Flats, with Condor Flats over where the current entrance is. This way, Grizzly Peak would be the big landmark right at the entrance like DL castle. There'd have been a big circle around the mountain, with other lands hanging off that circle... Six Flags Pier, Wharf, Farm, backlot.

When the gate was moved to be directly across from DL, GRR was not moved (got to have a good view from those hotel rooms). As a result, the park is very off balanced and has the willy-nilly feel.

The budget was 1/3rd the budget of Westcot and DisneySeas, so they were forced to rely on off-the-shelf rides to get the ride count up, and Pre-Engineered Buildings (PEBs) to keep costs down.

Since opening, the "here and now" mundane reality theme has been an utter, complete flop. Disney has been running away from it as quickly as budgets allow. Bugs, Brother Bear, Aladdin, Playhouse, Twilight Zone. The result is a willy-nilly park with a hodge-podge theme.

Add in that way too many shops and restaurants were built and you get a willy-nilly park, with too many off-the-shelf rides and PEBs, with a hodge-podge theme, a bunch of closed restaurants, and way too many shops.

But, hey, since it is free with my DL AP, it is a fun couple hours in the middle of the day when DL is at peak occupancy,

This park needs an enema.

Throwing in more CA themed lands and random E-Tickets would simply be throwing good money after bad..... IMO.
    Last edited by dshimel; 03-09-2005 at 04:02 PM.

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    This park needs an enigma.

Throwing in more CA themed lands and random E-Tickets would simply be throwing good money after bad..... IMO.
    Define "needs an enigma"? I agree "random" e-tickets are not the solution, keeping the theming of the backlot with clones like the Great Movie Ride and Rock and Rollercoaster are not random.

and hey dude, whats the all the education crap up there? I thought you said there was no marketability in education? Besides Disney may scratch at the surface of the struggle of the native Americans, Hispanics and Asian Pacificers who settled this land, but as noted by there approach to "Pirates", keeping it mainstream PC is far more important than being historically accurate.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggeriffic
    How about a cross between UH, Indy, and PotC.
    The Great Earthquake... AND Fire.

Create a ride car themed to a San Francisco streetcar, but designed more like the ToT elevators. Riders all face the same direction, and like DRR ride sideways, always facing the inside of the show building. The show buiding is, essentially, a square with three interior walls which form an H. Board on the right side of the H, and ride through the pleasant turn-of-the-century City on a Hill. Then, as you turn right, the car begins to rumble, and you see that you are at the top of a hill, just as the earthquake starts. Once you have seen the steep hill, you turn down it, out of control, weaving in and out of fallen debree and cracked pavement. Then, at the bottom of the hill, the rumblings stop.

As you make your next right, you see the flames. Like the burning city in PotC, some of the effects are lights and silk, but other effects are closer to the vehicle. Your final view along this section is a deep-perspective view of the smoldering city.

Finally, you round the corner, and climb back up the hill. And you watch the story of San Francisco rebuilding, to the sounds of Jeannette MacDonald singing her version of the city's song.

-- Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    Define "needs an enigma"?
    Mispelling. Is an enigma. Needs an enema.

I agree "random" e-tickets are not the solution, keeping the theming of the backlot with clones like the Great Movie Ride and Rock and Rollercoaster are not random.
    Great Movie Ride sucks.... It is a boring ride through a wax museum. It is flops like this that convinced DisCo that AA filled rides are no longer popular. Wrong message. Right message is that edutainment rides that don't complete the illusion of being in a fantastic setting, are a flop.

and hey dude, whats the all the education crap up there? I thought you said there was no marketability in education?
    I don't think there is... and Disney no longer thinks there is... BUT if they were to put in a Gold Rush themed land, WITH an educational theme, THEN they better do it right. The Gold Rush had just as much to do with the end of the Mexican-American war in 1848 (in which we stole California from Mexico), as it did with the discovery of gold at Sutter's Mill.

Besides Disney may scratch at the surface of the struggle of the native Americans, Hispanics and Asian Pacificers who settled this land, but as noted by there approach to "Pirates", keeping it mainstream PC is far more important than being historically accurate.
    But pirates doesn't depict a specific place, point in time, or series of events. It in no way tires to educate. Pirates is pure fiction top to bottom!

If they build a CA Gold Rush themed attraction (real events in a real place), and attempt to make it educational, then they BETTER go all the way!

• șoș Tom șoș

Wow dshimel you are sorts of perky about Disney rides and attractions? Are there any you do like? It seems like you are in fact the enigma that needs the enema...Ha ha play on words are fun.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    I don't think there is... and Disney no longer thinks there is... BUT if they were to put in a Gold Rush themed land, WITH an educational theme, THEN they better do it right. The Gold Rush had just as much to do with the end of the Mexican-American war in 1848 (in which we stole California from Mexico), as it did with the discovery of gold at Sutter's Mill.
    No, no, no no... The Gold Rush was a PR stunt by a drunkard ex-mormon tradesman whose business was to provided equipement to settlers... The gentleman's name was Sam Brannan... He worked up a frensy in downtown San Francisco waiving a big bag a gold dust around...

Oh, and here is a Disney connection for you...

Sam Brannan founded the town of Calistoga where a certain Disney animator by the name Ben Sharpsteen errected a museum in his honor...

http://www.sharpsteen-museum.org/
    Check out my other blog:

• that's right!

Wild Wild West

• something else...

Quote Originally Posted by Orcatime
    Extreme theme - from Death Valley to the Sierra Nevada
    And you could use the mountains as a partial berm.
    You would think that being in New York for eight months out of the year would be cool...not when the closest thing you have to Disneyland is the World of Disney Store on Madison.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast