Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Welcome Home

Character Idea for Buena Vista Street

Stop me if you've heard this one....

With the 30's - 40's Hollywood theme, how's about licensing rights to period movie stars, especially period comedy, for both impersonation and film clips?

They aren't Disney characters, but DCA is.... even with the changes.... not Disneyland. Fits better with the theme than a lot of things they are doing now.

Impersonators doing meet and greets on the street, film clips - probably best in montage format, with soundtrack, for modern audiences attention spans and lack of knowledge of the characters - in a small theater or room of a theater.

W.C. Fields, Laurel and Hardy, Marx Brothers, Keystone Cops, Chaplin, even the Three Stooges (hey, they're popular and translate into any language).

Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn (playing a kind of real life Cruella de Vil), Judy Garland, Mickey Rooney (in "hey let's do a show!" mode), Bogart, Gable, Jimmy Stewart. Gary Cooper in High Noon garb. Errol Flynn in green tights. Astaire doing a little steppin'. Claudette Colbert as Cleopatra (maybe a stretch there).

Of course the problem is licensing rights. Some/many of the biggest stars may not be available, at least for impersonation, or at a rational cost. Some star's estates, seeing Disney, may see excess dollar signs. Some - Garbo, Dietrich - are likely not available at all, at least for impersonation.

So they do a list of 50 - 100 and get who they can. So many possibilities, they'd get enough to make it work. Even lesser stars would be an attraction - Roy Rodgers and his dog Spot! (or was that Cal Worthington...). Burt Lahr as the Cowardly Lion (might need to deal with L. Frank Baum's estate there).

Of course modern audiences don't know some of these, but picking those that are very visual/identifiable - combined with the film clips (edited for a modern sense of pace), maybe followed by 1 minute biographies of each star..... what do you think?

• Banned User

Re: Character Idea for Buena Vista Street

interesting idea, but i would say no.

For me when I go to Disney I wanna see Disney.

Kids wont run up and say "OH MOM! ITS AUDREY HEPBURN!"

I think they have a better chance with the black and white classic Mickey or Donald Duck.
    But this is just my opinion.

• Minion

Its a great idea but its not for a Disney park. Main issues I see is image use of non-Disney characters I am sure this would be a licensing issue. I also think that there is so much that can be done with the Disney characters of that time period!

• Warm Hugging Anna

I would have to say no. From that list I have never hear of them. So if I don't know some of these kids will not know sorry.

• Welcome Home

Red Face Re: Character Idea for Buena Vista Street

Kids wont run up and say "OH MOM! ITS AUDREY HEPBURN!"

Well put. Guess I wasn't thinking kids enough.

Maybe just a handful walking around. Give the street some '30s character. A few of us old folks that remember 'em can say hi if we want.

Of course the Oswald Rabbit, etc. vintage characters will do that too. Maybe I just wanted to see impersonators of Disney quality do some of these. Imagine the Groucho!

(the person that doesn't know any of these people - now I feel way older than I need to!)

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

People have a hard enough time figuring out who Bert is at Disneyland. I don't think that would work too well with Hollywood stars of the 30's-40's period movie stars lol

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Um, if you try posting this over in the WDW Forum, this work well in DHS.

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• Minion

The use of said "characters" would work better IMO in Hollywoodland than on BVS. These characters are already utilized at Universal Studios Hollywood and even though young children don't know who they are most of the time, their parents and grandparents do. It's fun to see granny and pappy interact with "characters" they grew up with.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Sounds too much like Universal to me. Or those impersonators on Hollywood Blvd. I'd rather Disney walk around characters in black and white.

• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Part of the original issue some had with DCA was the lack of Disney Characters inside the park. I would much prefer to see some of the rarely used vintage Characters for Buena Vista Street. You know the same Characters that are all featured in the current artwork for the construction walls. Three Little Pig's, Big Bad Wolf, Horace, clarabelle and perhaps even Oswald. Seeing classic Characters like Mickey and the gang in older costumes would also be really cool.
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

•   
    • Minion

How about a Walt disney walk around character?

• First star to the right..

can't have those characters as they are all mostly owned by...universal...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Noooooooooooo! just my opinion! sacraraligious

• Welcome Home

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Sounds too much like Universal to me. Or those impersonators on Hollywood Blvd. I'd rather Disney walk around characters in black and white.

Right you are. Terrible idea. Who is this Screwy Squirrel anyway? Name like that, what do you expect.

....guess one of the risks of posting a new topic is.... you'll come up with a clunker.

This was one.

On the bright side, I learned that many vintage Disney characters are planned for the area. And period type costumes too? That will be great.

OK, just a little accident here folks. Move along, nothing to see.

(got to admit though, something to read besides the 4,678th post on the DL Hotel waterfalls. Where the pained back and forth arguments have started to remind me of a 14th century theological discussion. How many angels CAN fit on the head of a pin?)
    Last edited by Screwy Squirrel; 01-11-2011 at 03:01 PM.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Not even funny.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast