Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Who else thinks Constance is AWESOME?

In and of herself, I don't mind Constance. I could see where she could be considered "plussing" as she does more stuff than her predecessor, and it is nice to see an original character created for the parks (she's the only one I can think of added to Disneyland in the whole decade of the 00's). Plus, that character being a darkly comic unrepentant serial murderess is pretty edgy for DL.

HOWEVER...

Let's look at the Old Bride.

Our Ghost Host has left us. We're on our own, "wandering" through the mansion. We're in the cluttered attic. Clutter is what makes attics creepy - the idea that something could be hiding behind any of that random old stuff. (And, when the pop-up ghosts were there, something was.) Then we come across the bride. Still, silent, except for that eerily still-beating heart. Who was she? Why does she look so forlorn? We don't know...this gives her a sense of mystery. There's something tragic about her - the lone element of the mansion that isn't played in some way for a joke, a nice contrast to the macabre humor of the rest of the ride. Attics are where disused, forgotten things wind up - perhaps that's why she's there. We move down into the raccous party in the graveyard, but the bride stays up the attic, just standing there with her heart beating.

In the new version, the clutter of the attic has been divided into piles for each of Constance's husbands. We are virtually taken by the hand and lead through her story. "This is Constance's first husband. She beheaded him. This is Constance's second husband. She beheaded him, too. This is Constance's third husband..." And finally... "Here's Constance. Here's the weapon she used to kill her husbands. The End." As theme park storytelling goes, it's not badly done, and she is still one of the darker elements of the ride, but she lacks the mystery and tragedy of the original.
    Last edited by animagusurreal; 01-12-2011 at 03:34 AM.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    the problem with Constance lies not with her backstory or being "evil" I think, but the execution of the effect plus some silly expressions and writing of the dialogue. A good marriage would be plussing the projection effect, her face, and axe but truncating the dialogue or making her entirely silent and leaving the husband portraits intact.
    agreed, she's a bit chatty. Got to me a bit the first time now it just makes that part of the ride feel pretty noisy (doesn't help that I can hear her ranting through the entire attic.

I'd rather see her mute with the return of the beating heart and have her flowers transform into the axe while she stares on with an ominous expression.

Right now her face goes to some pretty silly expressions and while a line our two is alright it loses its power when its delevered in rapid succession all the way up to her and then heard somewhat all the way out the door (until the graveyard noise finally overwhelms her when we start to descend).
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

I share a lot of the issues with Constance other people are mentioning, but my biggest beefs with the character (besides replacing something that was both already working and put in place by the attractions initial creators. Additions can be good, enhancements can be good, replacements are bad), are mostly visual. She just doesn't look right in the Haunted Mansion.

1) Every other ghost has a cartoony, exaggerated feel. Even the other characters that are projections of recorded real faces, the sining busts and Madame Leota, have a cartoonish, broad look to them. I doubt this was by accident. Most likely, makeup, casting, and direction were all carefully done so that those faces looked at home in the Mansion. Constance, however, has a very realistic, human face. It's a big clash.

2) Secondly, the effect looks like an effect. It may be far more sophisticated and far more expensive, but as soon as you see it, you know what it is - a recording projected onto a surface. Sure, most of us have learned how they do the other ghosts by now - the peppers ghosts and the see-through animatronics, but the first time you see them, they just look like ghosts.

Really? I learned of how the other effects worked before I entered the mansion for the first time, but until this thread I thought Constance was a Pepper's ghost too.
    The five worst crimes in the world, in no particular order, are genocide, rape, murder, torture, and flash photography on Space Mountain.

• =)

With Pepper's Ghost effects, there's usually a tell: the ghost will appear transparent and/or be able to disappear and reappear. There are clever ways of sorta getting around the first one, and the ghost obviously could just stay visible all the time, but the ballroom ghosts are a good example of both tells. Constance, on the other hand, is very much opaque, and she obviously never disappears.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by MrHatboxGhost View Post
    How is Constance's story shoved down our throat?
    This:

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    Let's look at the Old Bride.

Our Ghost Host has left us. We're on our own, "wandering" through the mansion. We're in the cluttered attic. Clutter is what makes attics creepy - the idea that something could be hiding behind any of that random old stuff. (And, when the pop-up ghosts were there, something was.) Then we come across the bride. Still, silent, except for that eerily still-beating heart. Who was she? Why does she look so forlorn? We don't know...this gives her a sense of mystery. There's something tragic about her - the lone element of the mansion that isn't played in some way for a joke, a nice contrast to the macabre humor of the rest of the ride. Attics are where disused, forgotten things wind up - perhaps that's why she's there. We move down into the raccous party in the graveyard, but the bride stays up the attic, just standing there with her heart beating.

In the new version, the clutter of the attic has been divided into piles for each of Constance's husbands. We are virtually taken by the hand and lead through her story. "This is Constance's first husband. She beheaded him. This is Constance's second husband. She beheaded him, too. This is Constance's third husband..." And finally... "Here's Constance. Here's the weapon she used to kill her husbands. The End." As theme park storytelling goes, it's not badly done, and she is still one of the darker elements of the ride, but she lacks the mystery and tragedy of the original.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Animigasurreal said it well, but it is even more simple.....Constance is talking throughout the entire attic, and very loudly, explaining it. I wouldn't mind the visual bits with the husbands if she was silent, and was the punchline...but the entire way through you can hear her dialogue very loudly. Kills ambiance, really, I think...they are going for creepy and it almost works till you can see the projection and the kind of mugging the actress does.

Short story....it has potential but needs tweaking, not the current bombardment of telling you specifically what is going on coupled with a imperfect projection effect.

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Really? I learned of how the other effects worked before I entered the mansion for the first time, but until this thread I thought Constance was a Pepper's ghost too.
    I'm not saying it's hard to learn how the effect works. Sure, the info is out and readily available to anyone who seeks it. I'm saying to the eye, the pepper's ghost effect looks like magic and the Constance effect looks like the result of technology.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
    I'm not saying it's hard to learn how the effect works. Sure, the info is out and readily available to anyone who seeks it. I'm saying to the eye, the pepper's ghost effect looks like magic and the Constance effect looks like the result of technology.
    I very much agree with the statement.

Also look at the time period.
    When the HM was created technology wasn't as advanced as it is now.
    If WED was able to create such great effects (40+ years ago)
    what is stopping today's Imagineers (please don't say budget..I'd rather see nothing, then a half crapped project because of a little budget) for exceeding.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• "Always On The Move..."

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
    Who else thinks the old heart bride was AWESOME?
    I do!! I miss the old heart bride and really don't like the new one. She always looks cross-eyed to me and I don't like the animation on her. Bring back the old bride!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Ready for takeoff

Constance is my favorite part of the attraction. One time the ride stopped right in front on Constance and I thought it was outstanding.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

The original faceless, beating heart bride was such an iconic part of the mansion, it was difficult to lose her. However, the attic was really the most boring part of the tour. However, I was charmed by her goofy eyes and her bouquet turned axe. And I'm glad they saved the ghost piano player in the attic. The different sections in the attic, each dedicated to one of her previous weddings, with the changing portraits at the center of each section, keeps it interesting.

I do agree that the one thing that needs further improvement is making Constance more 3-dimensional. Madame Leota in the seance room is 3D (even though she's enclosed in a crystal ball). And each of the singing busts is 3D, as well. Constance should be, too.

When the change was first announced, I was afraid that the set up would be too gory. But the outcome kept a nice balance of the original humor that Marc Davis infused in the Mansion. Constance does fit in fairly well with Marc's humor.

I can't dislike what I haven't seen yet. All I have to say is, she can't be any worse then the stupid Nightmare Before Christmas junk! I went to the park for the first time in 5 years over christmas and I only rode the Haunted Mansion once because of how unhappy it made me.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    The original faceless, beating heart bride was such an iconic part of the mansion, it was difficult to lose her. However, the attic was really the most boring part of the tour. However, I was charmed by her goofy eyes and her bouquet turned axe. And I'm glad they saved the ghost piano player in the attic. The different sections in the attic, each dedicated to one of her previous weddings, with the changing portraits at the center of each section, keeps it interesting.

I do agree that the one thing that needs further improvement is making Constance more 3-dimensional. Madame Leota in the seance room is 3D (even though she's enclosed in a crystal ball). And each of the singing busts is 3D, as well. Constance should be, too.

When the change was first announced, I was afraid that the set up would be too gory. But the outcome kept a nice balance of the original humor that Marc Davis infused in the Mansion. Constance does fit in fairly well with Marc's humor.
    People keep talking about losing the "original" bride in this thread... yet, it WASN'T the original that got replaced. The bride has had multiple variations over the years, so I just thought of Constance as another upgrade on the bride when she was added.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    People keep talking about losing the "original" bride in this thread... yet, it WASN'T the original that got replaced. The bride has had multiple variations over the years, so I just thought of Constance as another upgrade on the bride when she was added.
    And given a name along with a forced storyline.
    I just feel that if WED could do amazing things with the technology of the 60's, what's stopping the team of the todays imagineers? With todays technology, I'd expect something to excel over something from the 60's, not go a step backwards.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast