• Tom Bricker

Question Premier Annual Pass Quandry

My wife and I are contemplating getting the Premier Annual Pass (WDW+DLR AP), but we're not quite sure if we should.

Here's our situation:
    DLR or WDW trip in the Spring (preference: DLR)
    WDW trip in October
    DLR trip in December
    WDW AP expiration: Aug 15, 2011
    DVC discount renewal AP presently held

If we upgrade to the Premier for the Spring trip to DLR, it will expire prior to our December trip to DLR (at least that's my understanding). Since we paid $340 (less than that, actually, since we renewed before the increase...I can't find the previous renewal price), we'd pay $360 to jump to the Premier, since that's the cost difference between the two. That's obviously not worth it for one trip to DLR, especially when park hoppers for 4 days (length of our stay) are around $200.

However, we are instead considering separately buying a DLR AP when we arrive in CA in the Spring. This option is $329 for a Deluxe AP with some blackout dates (only one of which would fall over the two trips we're planning on taking, so it'd be +$45 for this, -$20 DVC discount--right?) or $459 for a Premium AP with no blackout dates. This AP would also entitle us to dining discounts.

Interestingly, it seems possible that if we purchase this AP, we might automatically be upgraded to the Premier AP with the DLR AP date-of-purchase as the expiration date. This may have only been the case for individuals who held both passes when the Premier pass was announced. Does anyone how this works? If we'd be issued the later-expiring Premier Pass, we'd definitely just buy a $329 DLR AP--then this is a no brainer. Something tells me that isn't the case, though.

Another option would just be to buy Park hoppers this time, get the Premier Pass in August when we renew, and bank on visiting DLR again after December and before August 2012.

I am thinking the best option will probably be purchasing the Deluxe DLR AP in the Spring.

Anyone have any suggestions? Am I overlooking anything or not failing to take something into consideration?

If someone has an answer to the question of whether the purchase of a DLR AP would automatically grant us a Premier AP (as holders of both a WDW AP and a DLR AP) that would be greatly appreciated).

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

Re: Premier Annual Pass Quandry

I may be mis-reading this, but I don't get the part about getting a Premier Pass in Spring but it expiring before the December DLR trip. APs aren't by calendar year, they're 365 days. If you get it in Spring, it should be good through next Spring. If so, this changes your whole scenario.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• Tom Bricker

^I already have a Walt Disney World AP that expires in August, so I figured (assumed) that if I upgraded to the Premier AP, it would also expire in August. Is that not the case?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

It still seems a bit fuzzy to me, but it seems that if you buy the deluxe out here at the DLR, hold on to that and upgrade to the premier after your WDW expires in August. That would give you both parks separately until August, and then the premier would carry you until the following Spring. But just to throw a couple more wrinkles in here: Some of the Christmas events at the DLR may go the way of WDW and become hard ticket events in 2011, and they may re-arrange the pricing structure of passports this year. Those are both rumors at this point, but something to keep in mind if you are on a budget. It would be a bummer to shell out the extra cash for the Premier and find out that the parade and fireworks are only for those who purchased the extra ticket.

• Tom Bricker

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    It still seems a bit fuzzy to me, but it seems that if you buy the deluxe out here at the DLR, hold on to that and upgrade to the premier after your WDW expires in August. That would give you both parks separately until August, and then the premier would carry you until the following Spring. But just to throw a couple more wrinkles in here: Some of the Christmas events at the DLR may go the way of WDW and become hard ticket events in 2011, and they may re-arrange the pricing structure of passports this year. Those are both rumors at this point, but something to keep in mind if you are on a budget. It would be a bummer to shell out the extra cash for the Premier and find out that the parade and fireworks are only for those who purchased the extra ticket.
    Bill -

Thanks for the suggestion. I think holding the two APs might be the best course of action for us, though. Our WDW renewal will be $340. Our Disneyland AP will be $354. Combined, that is still less than the Premier AP, and we have the benefit of the later expiration for the WDW pass that way.

I'm not so concerned about DLR charging a separate price for its holiday offerings. Yeah, it's certainly not my preference, but we've gotten used to TDO gouging us for $60 every time we want to attend MVMCP, so we're used to it by this point. A separate price for the event would be annoying when it was free last year, but it certainly wouldn't prevent us from coming.

Thanks!

• AKA: Indyiluvu

I found out today that I may be going to Orlando for 3 days in March. I am also wondering about upgrading to the Premiere pass. I have the Disneyland Premium pass that expires in June.

If I upgrade to the Premiere I know I will not make it back to Florida by June when the pass expires. So is it still worth it? A 3-day parkhopper ticket for WDW is $278 so to upgrade from the DLR Premium would be $241 if the price is $700.

But on disney's website it lists the following

"You may purchase the Disney Premier Passport for $700, plus applicable sales tax..."

I think there is no sales tax in CA since I don't remember paying it on my current pass (unless it is allready included" Do people who buy the Premiere pass in FL pay sales tax?

On the other hand, I may want to go to Islands of Adventure to see Mr Potter one day, and in that case I don't think it is worth it to upgrade for only 2 days at disney, but then again when you factor in the discounts maybe it is since I will want a couple souveniers and will probably eat at least lunch at the parks.
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST DLP TRIP - March 1997

FIRST WDW TRIP - May/June 2006

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

There isn't any sales tax on tickets in California.

•   
    • Minion

i upgraded mine from a DLR ap to the premiere but only because I am going to WDW before my expiration date. it saving me about 150 dollars. The date is based off whatever pass you upgrade.

Although there is no tax on tickets in CA, there is in FL, if I recall correctly, they charge the FL tax on half of the overall pass cost.

Besides looking at just the cost of park admission and costs to upgrade, another thing to consider is discounts that come along with the passes, at first, it was slightly more to upgrade my DL pass during my time at WDW than if I would have just bought WDW tickets but once I factored in what I was planning on spending and the discounts on merchandise and/or food, it came out to be ahead.

Might not be much but it might be the extra amount to tip a decision one way or another.

I bought the ticket over the weekend. Was about $722 or so after taxes. You will get a merchandise discount here in Florida if you end up upgrading to the premier as long as you have matching photo ID. There are food discounts but they are very few and far between, as well as free water parks, Disney Quest, half priced mini golf, and free parking. I'm not sure how easy it will be to upgrade a DL pass here in Florida. I upgraded an annual pass purchased the same day at WDW to the premier a few hours later, and it was not easy. It can be done only at the outside guest relations windows here, not a normal ticket window or even inside the park at guest relations. I also had a minor problem with the ticket being printed with an expiration date of 12/31/09 because according to them "That is the default date that prints on the pass if nobody changes it, though the magnetic strip has all the correct information." I ended up going back right away and having them re-print it with my correct expiration date on it. All in all it was probably a 20 minute process to upgrade a ticket bought just hours earlier. You probably are better off upgrading at Disneyland to prevent any extra confusion upgrading between the 2 parks.
    Last edited by lnsemsf; 01-19-2011 at 11:08 PM.
    My signature is NOT larger than my post, nor should yours be!

I upgraded to a premier pass from a Deluxe Disneyland AP for a trip in October. I kept trying to get a dining discount at WDW like is offered in Disneyland but there are few dining discounts. Several cast members acted like they had never seen a premier pass when I used it for the generous (20%) merchandise discount and they had to ask for the code. I was never asked for ID even though the pass does not contain a picture ID. We just flashed it at the parking attendant when we parked. No one even looked at it or the expiration date. The upgrade was about the same as a park hopper ticket but it was fun to have a Premier Pass, if only for a year.

Every time I've used my pass to get a merch discount they ask for my ID to be sure it was me using the pass. Funny enough, the same people never ask for an ID when people pay with credit cards, and I've had several friends use their parents cards with no problem. Nobody ever checks at the parking gates here for your ID, but i do get about 50% of the time they ask to see the expiration date of the pass. Also if you upgrade you will lose your photo on your pass, so you will need a photo ID for merch and parking at DL as well. I was denied my discount because I didn't have my ID, and had to grab it out of my bag when parking at the Toy Story lot. You also lose the ability at DL to simply have them swipe your card at the register for food and merch discounts, because the data on the magnetic strip is all WDWs pass information, not DLs, so it will have to be punched in manually which takes extra time and causes some CMs confusion. So a few disadvantages of having the pass, but overall i think the benefits outweigh the minor annoyances.
    My signature is NOT larger than my post, nor should yours be!