• Disney Fan & Musician

Speech About Disneyland

For speech class, I have to speak for 3 minutes about a subject. What better subject than Disneyland? Give me some ideas.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• Decor Extraordinare

Re: Speech About Disneyland

How it really is magical.
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    --------------------------------------------------

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Perhaps you could take a short time to introduce Walt and his vision, the original cost of Disneyland, how long it took to build, how DCA used to be the main parking lot. Historical trivia like that is interesting.

Are you allowed to use pictures? Perhaps you could relate the history of a ride, like Pirates.

Have fun with your speech. You picked a great subject!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• =)

Are there are any guidelines or expectations as to what the speech is supposed to accomplish? Is it supposed to be persuasive? Inspirational? Informative? Anything you want? I agree that Disneyland is a great topic to talk about, but there are a lot of different routes that you could go.

• Ruler of Wasteland

My friend did this in her speech class. I helped her out with and she split her content into three sections: history, opening day, and what it's become. She had a fifteen minute presentation, you only have 3 so you have endless topics to choose from.
    "May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter," - Gandalf (from "The Chronicles of Narnia")

• Senior Minion

^^ What Data said. Disneyland is a very broad subject: from its effect on American culture to its selling of American culture to the world; from its conception by a creative genius to its marketing by a modern multimedia corporation; from what Disneyland means to your parents and grandparents to what it means to you.

Two generations ago, Disneyland was renowned as a showplace that transported us to America's nostalgic past and celebrated our optimism for the future. A world's fair that fulfilled our romantic desire to visit exotic, faraway places, and made real our dreams of fantasy. Is it still?
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 01-20-2011 at 10:59 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

It's history, why Walt made it, it's influence on society, it's rides, how it beats Universal, Six Flags, and Knotts...

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• The Study of Wumbo

Is it persuasive or informational?

For persuasive you can explain why it is different and better from amusement parks. For informational, if you wanted to be specific, you could talk about New Orleans Square or the various new Tomorrowlands or how the Worlds Fair affected the park.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Forgotten Spirit

Speak about the true objective of Disneyland, the idea of American history and tomorrow that Walt was spreading to the people. But, of course that idea is now lost..

• =)

BTW, if there are absolutely no specific expectations in terms of the style or content, I personally would probably go for a description of how onstage and backstage are carefully delineated, preserving the magic for guests and providing sanity for cast members. Despite the fact that you can't really market that philosophy, I believe it's been one of a number of crucial factors in Disneyland's success, and Disney quietly employs a lot of different tools to keep the two types of space separate. It's an interesting topic to me, one that I could easily talk about for three minutes. But I'm weird. The more profound topics described above also sound great.

• Blew By You

I used to work at the Blue Bayou. A topic you could use is how much food is consumed at Disneyland on any given day.