Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Who enjoys Disneyland more, "casual" or "hardcore" fans?

Let me start off by saying I have loved Disneyland since I was a kid. I love the rides, the atmosphere and the feeling that I've been transported to other places and times. I never liked the parades, the fireworks or most of the merchandise. I'm somewhere between a "casual" fan and a "hardcore" fan.

On my last trip to Disneyland, I went with someone that is very much a casual fan. She likes to ride the rides, people watch and eat junk food that you only eat because you're on vacation :-)

It was so refreshing to go with someone that didn't have an opinion on Disney vs. Pixar, Tomorrowland now vs. then, "cheap" rides in DCA, etc. She just was there to have fun.

Do you think that sometimes our "hardcore" feelings take some of the fun away (worrying more about what once was or what "could have been")?

Just curious.

Re: Who enjoys Disneyland more, "casual" or "hardcore" fans?

I do think the hardcore fans are much more critical and it does take some of the fun away but then again, they are hardcore because they love Disneyland! I can see both angles...

I consider myself hardcore and have been going for my whole life (of 37 years) on a regular basis. I will have to admit that there has been time periods where I've been jaded and taken it for granted. The casual guest doesn't have those feelings because it's more magical for them.

I must say, I'm biased. I LOVE Disney and spent most of my free time on Micechat or doing SOMETHING Disney related. That said, the minute I walk through the gates...I'm in heaven. I only get to go every couple years because I live so far away...so perhaps it's those who live closest who are ABLE to go every day if they so wish...that sort of start taking it for "granted".

I guarantee that my time is not spent walking through Tomorrowland sighing or watching the parade going "Siiighhh this is so poorly done", and-don't hate me- I LIKE Innoventions. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponADream View Post
    I only get to go every couple years because I live so far away...so perhaps it's those who live closest who are ABLE to go every day if they so wish...that sort of start taking it for "granted".
    I think this is an interesting point. I'm in the same boat, I've only been a couple of times in the last 5 years or so.

I didn't like Innoventions though!

^^ Haha, I couldn't spend hours in it, but if I'm going to Disneyland I want to experience everything! (I guess I should have said I didn't have a problem with Innoventions....my fiance LOVES it.)

I would consider myself a "hardcore" Disneland fan, but when it comes to my enjoyment of the park(s), sure, I find myself missing certain aspects of DL's past and complaining about some of the choices and changes made over the years, but I always have a fantastic time when I'm there without fail.
    I'm critical because I love Disneyland, and I want to see it be the best it can. Changes to the park will come and go like they always have, and I'm pretty sure I'll continue to love it regardless.

It's DISNEYLAND for God's sake!!!!

• U. B. Bold

Familiarity breeds contempt.

Whitestrat: I agree.

I'll admit that I see the flaws in DCA, and I find myself spending maybe an hour there before being bored/feeling I've done everything I care to do--and I'll admit I'm MORE excited to see it with the new changes, but it's still part of Disney. I just can't find it in my heart to be critical while I'm in the parks. Outside, sitting at the computer reading and discussing the possible changes/flaws, sure. But there's no time for that when I've only got four days in FIVE YEARS to spend there. (I went again in September after a five year break...the five years being torturous!)

• =)

I think it depends 100% on the individual. I would classify myself as a hardcore fan who always has an amazing time in the parks, no matter what, so that's certainly possible...and I've also met more casual guests who really had no passion or enthusiasm for the place, so that's possible, too. Then you get hardcore fans who do drive themselves crazy by focusing solely on the negative, and you have casual visitors who have a great time but rarely think about the resort when they're not there. And there are people who are somewhere between, too. Really just depends on the person.

IMO, the ability to enjoy oneself in the park no matter what happens is crucial to having a great time, but learning about the various issues and debates doesn't have to change that. The trick is to be able to think critically about all the issues, but to also be able to turn that off when your goal is simply to have a blast. That right there is the key to being a truly happy "hardcore fan", I think.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Different people are passionate about different things. For some people it is politics, religion, cars, football, beauty products . . . but for many of us here on this board, it is Disney.

It is just something that we feel passionate about and have opinions about. I don't think anyone should feel bad about that.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Banned User

That's a tough one. The hardcore fans obviously love the park... but at times I think they love a romanticized version of the park from their childhood, so meet any changes w/ hostility, no matter what they are, or if they even make sense. The one that throws me off is the Swiss Family Treehouse. They get mad that an attraction, based on a popular movie at the time, is replaced by an attraction based on a popular movie at the time.

• Banned User

Casual or hard core, how one experiences Disneyland depends on the individual.

I've had quite a few friends a co-workers visit Disneyland over the past few years, and none are hard core fans (few had even been to the park before), and yet their descriptions of their trips have been just as varied as what you read here. All enjoyed their trips, and more than half mentioned something they didn't like or with which they were disappointed.

People who are observant are going to notice things both good and bad.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    That's a tough one. The hardcore fans obviously love the park... but at times I think they love a romanticized version of the park from their childhood, so meet any changes w/ hostility, no matter what they are, or if they even make sense. The one that throws me off is the Swiss Family Treehouse. They get mad that an attraction, based on a popular movie at the time, is replaced by an attraction based on a popular movie at the time.
    Although it's possible to find someone with nearly any opinion imaginable on this board...I don't think what you're talking about is the majority view. Most of the folks who have a problem with a given change typically have reasons beyond "It's change!" For the treehouse, I haven't seen too many criticisms of the fact that it got a Tarzan overlay - but some people certainly have a problem with the way that overlay was executed, and they've made some good arguments for why they prefer the execution of the original. (I'd also be curious to see some numbers comparing the treehouse's current popularity to its projected popularity if it hadn't been changed...my scattered, unscientific observations have made it seem like the numbers are about the same, but I could be wrong.)

Anyway, like I said above, it's hard to generalize about these things. A lot of people have very different expectations, interests, and enjoyment levels.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    The one that throws me off is the Swiss Family Treehouse. They get mad that an attraction, based on a popular movie at the time, is replaced by an attraction based on a popular movie at the time.
    No, people who are unhappy with the Tarzan version of the Treehouse are so because many of the Tarzan elements were added in a cartoon like style that was more fitting with Fantasyland or Toontown. The Tarzan overlay could have fit right in with Adventureland, but the implementation was seriously flawed.

Please don't make thinly veiled insults to people who don't accept every change Disneyland management throws into the park as "for the better."

I like change at Disneyland. I like upgrades to (or replacement of) old, tired attractions. I also expect Disney to understand the concepts of theme and quality, which for the most part they do, but sometimes you have to wonder.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by wulfblat View Post
    No, people who are unhappy with the Tarzan version of the Treehouse are so because many of the Tarzan elements were added in a cartoon like style that was more fitting with Fantasyland or Toontown. The Tarzan overlay could have fit right in with Adventureland, but the implementation was seriously flawed.
    Exactly... and that the Tarzan Treehouse made you a passive spectator in another of WDI's tightly scripted "tell you everything you need to know so that you GET it!" story lines (like Nemo), whereas in the Swiss Family Treehouse you were a participant.

Quote Originally Posted by wulfblat View Post
    Please don't make thinly veiled insults to people who don't accept every change Disneyland management throws into the park as "for the better."
    Good point. Unfortunately, some posters find it easier and more satisfying to throw judgmental labels at those whose views are different than their own, rather than trudge through the work of understanding and communicating. "You just don't like change at Disneyland" is one of the oldest of those labels -- it was being thrown at Al Lutz for his criticism of Disney before some of the posters who use it today were born.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast