Christmas Music of the Turn-of-the-19th-Century on Main Street, U.S.A.

Is anyone else bothered by "Jingle Bell Rock", and its ilk, on Main Street, U.S.A.?

Disneyland needs to rethink the loop described in the following Al Lutz article: http://miceage.com/allutz/al112105a.htm .

• See you there!

Re: Christmas Music of the Turn-of-the-19th-Century on Main Street, U.S.A.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Is anyone else bothered by "Jingle Bell Rock", and its ilk, on Main Street, U.S.A.?

Disneyland needs to rethink the loop described in the following Al Lutz article: http://miceage.com/allutz/al112105a.htm .

No... Not really. I've always enjoyed the Christmas loop on Main Street.

CU@DL

Andy

• Animatronic

It bothers me. Disneyland has slowly been losing it's sense of time and place. Maybe the "place making" going on in DCA needs to come over to Disneyland. Not much needs to be done compared with DCA, but everyone I know can name a few dozen little things in each land that used to be better themed.

• Who's your DaddyB?

Doesn't it say in Al's article that this is the same music loop that's played every Holiday season since the 70's? How is it contributing to Disneyland slowly losing it's sense of time and place?

Don't get me wrong, I agree that Main Street has been losing it's sense of time and place, for me one of the things that bothers me is the train spiel no longer saying that we're returning to the 20th century.

I just don't agree that the Christmas Music Loop is part of it, and I had never noticed it before.

What DOES bother me (and I'll be posting this in my upcoming photo update later on today) is the "dickens" Christmas Carolers on Main Street singing songs like that... heck they have one guy doing ELVIS impersonations during their performances!
    I'm about to go to City Hall to complain.
    Shouldn't Dicken's Carolers stick to "traditional" Christmas music of the early 20th century at least?

Why I feel differently about the Carolers versus the music loop, I don't know.
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• Closed Account

I think Main Street has been going down hill since they decided to do away with the original color palatte; did away with mantles in the gas lamps, and changed Center Street from an intersection to...well...something that isn't an intersection.

The last time I was there, I noticed that even one of the buildin'g "date" stamps in the fascade had been blanked out (It used to say 1895. Now it's just a blank oval).

So, in addition to all of that lessening of time and place, I'd have to agree that the music loop including rock-and roll Christmas songs is merely another indication of folks in charge who don't understand "story."

Quote Originally Posted by daddyb
    Don't get me wrong, I agree that Main Street has been losing it's sense of time and place, for me one of the things that bothers me is the train spiel no longer saying that we're returning to the 20th century.
    I miss the old narration. The new guy sounds too...what's the word...ehch.
    Every time I hear him say, "You can visit Star Tours and Space Mountain, where the got some FANGLE starships that will launch you into the deep reaches of space," it annoys the hell out of me as it sounds like he's some old guy who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by DLResident
    I miss the old narration. The new guy sounds too...what's the word...ehch.
    Every time I hear him say, "You can visit Star Tours and Space Mountain, where the got some FANGLE starships that will launch you into the deep reaches of space," it annoys the hell out of me as it sounds like he's some old guy who doesn't know what he's talking about.
    The narration is horribly-written and poorly-acted.

I can't tolerate taking the train anymore, and I love the Disneyland Railroad, itself.

Why would W.D.I. replace the Thurl Ravenscoft narration if the new recording is not going to substantially update or otherwise improve upon the old one?