Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• =)

Re: Haunted Mansion with Lights on!

Haha, thanks. I've been through there a couple of times for different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    In the first of those three photos, we're looking southwest. The wall on the right is the backside of the portrait hall's first storm scene, and the dark space where the people are coming from is the second storm scene (as seen in the second photo). So we're underneath the extended queue at this point. We're still facing the same direction in the third photo...just further up the ramp on the left. See that exit sign on the left side of the first photo? That's where the stairs up to that crypt door are. So you go underneath the berm just before you get to that exit sign. If you don't turn left at the exit sign, that ramp in the third photo eventually takes you to a wheelchair-accessible emergency exit backstage...I think. Obviously, I haven't done that myself.

Apologies if I got any of this wrong, or if I stepped on your toes, MrHatboxGhost!
    I was with you until the point where you said you go under the berm.

If the first photo taken shows the backside of the beginning of the portrait hall on the right side and the people are coming up from a door that is farther along in the portrait hall and we are pointing to the SW, then the stretching room/elevators are just behind us, right? So I can see we are under the extended queue. Then we are already inside the berm at this point. So we walk down the hallway in that first picture, turn left and we are then outside at the crypt door. OK. But then how does walking down that hallway take us back under the berm? Are we just under the berm for a little bit before exiting the door?

And the third photo is the hallway that you would continue SW down if you didn't turn left at the exit. So that hallway goes under the berm to backstage... without steps so it is accessible to wheelchairs... that part makes sense.

Wow, some people are going to think we're crazy going through all of this detail.

EDIT: here's a photo before the show building was built. Care to illustrate what the photos represent? Thanks!

Last edited by Mojave; 01-22-2011 at 09:17 PM.

• =)

Crazy? For caring about the layout of a chicken exit? Why would anyone think that? We would only be crazy if we were having dreams about setting up a little cot and mini-fridge in that hallway and living there. And I dunno about you, but I haven't had one of those dreams in weeks.

The stretching rooms aren't behind us in that shot...they're just further to the right. The portrait gallery and chicken exit hallway are angled toward each other. Directly behind us would be...dirt, I suppose. I'm pretty sure that's the back corner of that part of the basement level. So we're not inside the berm in that first photo, we're just sorta below the part of the outdoor queue that runs along the side of the house. The berm runs perfectly perpendicular to this hallway, crossing over it around where that exit sign is.

So as you walk up the ramp toward that sign, you go underneath the berm, and if you were to be a bad person (don't do it!) and keep walking past the exit sign, you'd leave the berm behind and be inside the show building proper. But if you turn left at the exit sign instead, there are stairs that go up inside the berm, roughly parallel to it (but angled toward onstage, I think). The crypt door is at the top of those stairs, on the left.

Again, to put it simply: in that first photo, the berm goes from left to right, up above that exit sign. So the only part that's under the berm is that particular part of the ramp, as well as the stairs from that exit sign that are roughly perpendicular to that ramp. Everything before the exit sign is under the outdoor queue, and the forbidden areas on the other side are within the show building itself.

This whole area is pretty confusing. I did "a little" research into how it was all modified for accessibility reasons a few years back. Interesting stuff for weirdos like you and I.
    Last edited by Datameister; 01-22-2011 at 09:32 PM.

I thought I had this understood, but now I'm more confused.

How can that first photo be pointing to the southwest, with us under the berm and DLRR, where going up that hallway takes you under the berm (to the outside of the berm) then you go out the exit (inside the berm)?

Could you illustrate it on the photo in my previous post?

Great now I'm going to have dreams of a mini apt in this area. haha

• =)

Sure, I'll work up an image that shows where everything is, as long as you don't have a problem with it not being to scale.

Sure, I'll work up an image that shows where everything is, as long as you don't have a problem with it not being to scale.
    Oh come on, it should be perfectly to scale.

• Theming Fan

Someplace much to far from anything Disney.

See, now THAT'S how exit signs in dark rides should be handled, not like Splash Mountain does it.
    Please keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the forum at all times.
    Check out my bandcamp!
    http://chaseharrison1.bandcamp.com/

• =)

All righty, here we go. This may not be my finest work of art...but it is a very close second. Those three photos have had their approximate vantage points marked and numbered 1/2/3. Hopefully this'll clear up any confusion.

All righty, here we go. This may not be my finest work of art...but it is a very close second. Those three photos have had their approximate vantage points marked and numbered 1/2/3. Hopefully this'll clear up any confusion.

Well done! That explains it very well, thanks. The only thing that bothers me is that by the time you've gotten to point 3, you've come up many steps and yet you're still low enough to exit out the wheelchair ramp under the RR tracks, but I guess at that point, you're actually still under the berm. I hadn't realized how low the crypt door is.

Thanks again!

• =)

Well, you're starting out at a pretty decent depth. From 2 to 1 is a ramp, and so is 2 to 3, and then more ramps beyond for wheelchair access. These are all fairly shallow. If you were to take the wheelchair ramp, I think that would take you up to maybe six feet below the level of the train tracks. And the crypt door is below the surrounding ground level, too. Oh, and those stairs up to the door are fairly steep, as I recall. That's half the climb right there. I think there used to just be stairs from 2 to 3, with the first storm scene extending out into the area where 1 is, but I'm not positive. It would have been a more direct but entirely non-wheelchair-accessible route.

Well, you're starting out at a pretty decent depth. From 2 to 1 is a ramp, and so is 2 to 3, and then more ramps beyond for wheelchair access. These are all fairly shallow. If you were to take the wheelchair ramp, I think that would take you up to maybe six feet below the level of the train tracks. And the crypt door is below the surrounding ground level, too. Oh, and those stairs up to the door are fairly steep, as I recall. That's half the climb right there. I think there used to just be stairs from 2 to 3, with the first storm scene extending out into the area where 1 is, but I'm not positive. It would have been a more direct but entirely non-wheelchair-accessible route.
    OK, that makes sense.

It would be interesting to know when they converted from stairs to ramp as they would have had to tear up the extended queue, unless the space already existed down there for them to make the ramp which has to be longer than stairs.

• =)

I think it was in the early 2000s, but I'm really not sure. I think they just took out the back of the original storm scene and put the ramp back there, so they wouldn't have had to do any work aboveground.

• Super Genius

That was cool to watch. Check out these stills I took

Quote Originally Posted by MikeChat View Post
    That was cool to watch. Check out these stills I took
    That's great that you were able to catch a ghost in that first photograph on the left hand side.

• Goofy

nice.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast