Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Mickey's pal

Re: Good News for Tomorrowland? [Tron Sequel]

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    So they could have re-written half the movie. I mean sure thats only just over an hour of screen time but how much story development can you fit into such a narrow time slot..

...Just Saying.

In addition, technically by those rules both of those men could have re-written 49.5% of the film each leaving 1% of the original intact.
    I shouldn't have to bother explaining this, because their names weren't credited in the movie - proving they did not do major rewrites.

They did not provide at least 50% of the story or characterization, nor more than 50%.

Tron: Legacy is 125 minutes. That means the screenplay would be about 125 pages, because one page = one minute of screentime. So in order to get credit, they would have had to writtenat least or around 62 pages. If each of them had written "49.5% each," their names would be credited in the film...which they are not. I get what you're saying. "Maybe they wrote 57 pages." They probably didn't. If they had written that much, there would be credit.

There are a number of minor things they could have done. Fixed up some clunky dialogue, maybe made some changes to the first act to better introduce the characters, did some Act II work (it's generally considered the hardest part of a screenplay), altered or introduced the midpoint, maybe added to, altered, or fixed up some conflicts or resolutions, maybe changed a couple of plot points, made a more satisfying climax or set up a sense of future knowing Disney would be interested in a sequel...there are a ton of tiny yet important things. But they most likely didn't do anything major, considering they aren't credited.

I didn't mean to start a "thing." I was just trying to bring some fairness into the equation.
    "It has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was kid."
    - Walt Disney on Disneyland

• Banned User

TR3N is happening.

• film975

So what is being said here is that a movie is bad if it gets rewritten a lot? On the contrary, some of the best movies are rewritten several times... even up to the very last minute before release. Lord of the Rings was like that. And Pirates of the Caribbean: the Curse of the Black Pearl was rewritten several times before Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio came on board. And the previous writers were credited. One thing I learned in my screenwriting classes back in school was that screenwriting is rewritting. So it's not entirely a bad thing when rewritting comes into play.

• Mickey's pal

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    So what is being said here is that a movie is bad if it gets rewritten a lot? On the contrary, some of the best movies are rewritten several times... even up to the very last minute before release. Lord of the Rings was like that. And Pirates of the Caribbean: the Curse of the Black Pearl was rewritten several times before Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio came on board. And the previous writers were credited. One thing I learned in my screenwriting classes back in school was that screenwriting is rewritting. So it's not entirely a bad thing when rewritting comes into play.
    I don't think anyone said that. And yep, pretty much every movie goes under revision multiple times. Very rarely is a movie made off a first draft.
    "It has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was kid."

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Good News for Tomorrowland?

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    What if he did major rewrites? Your saying that if you like the guy, he is better and therefore can do no wrong?

That sounds like a dangerous level of bias to intertwine with statements given as facts.
    Just saying I like most projects he has worked on and I have heard Pixar helped making the Story better but
    1) Maybe he did all he could since they said you cant take out certain scenes
    2) He rewrote it and the only took into consideration what to do and did what they wanted
    3) He rewrote the film but just had no idea's on how to make a film like this good

Not saying he is perfect, I loved Lucas's old movies but cant stand his new stuff (like Indy 4) of course you can sell out or lose your touch but lets hope not since he is Brad Bird will be working on more Disney Films in the Future.

• Mickey's pal

Re: Good News for Tomorrowland?

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Just saying I like most projects he has worked on and I have heard Pixar helped making the Story better but
    1) Maybe he did all he could since they said you cant take out certain scenes
    2) He rewrote it and the only took into consideration what to do and did what they wanted
    3) He rewrote the film but just had no idea's on how to make a film like this good

Not saying he is perfect, I loved Lucas's old movies but cant stand his new stuff (like Indy 4) of course you can sell out or lose your touch but lets hope not since he is Brad Bird will be working on more Disney Films in the Future.
    I hope Brad Bird does a follow up on the Incredibles some day, that matches or tops the first in quality. There is an almost endless list of possibilities for a sequel to that film.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^yeah they can show the Family drifting apart like Dash being a bullied teen and Violet being a depressed young adult Mr and Mrs Incredible having troubles...and then in the end they work out there problems by uniting as a family and kicking butt.
    Maybe that's why Tron did not work as we'll the flaws in characters are not as relatetable, yeah people get lft by there parents but not to become millionaires most of the time.

• Mickey's pal

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    ^yeah they can show the Family drifting apart like Dash being a bullied teen and Violet being a depressed young adult Mr and Mrs Incredible having troubles...and then in the end they work out there problems by uniting as a family and kicking butt.
    Maybe that's why Tron did not work as we'll the flaws in characters are not as relatetable, yeah people get lft by there parents but not to become millionaires most of the time.
    Well, you wouldn't want a rehash of the first movie. A sequel is supposed to explore new territory with familiar characters. Bob and Helen had troubles in the first, Violet was a depressed young adult in the first and in the end they worked out their problems by uniting as a family and kicking butt. Also, Violet was happy at the end of the first film. She, like most good characters in a film, changed at the end. So returning her to the same state she was in at the beginning of The Incredibles would be bad.

But like I said, the possibilities are endless. We saw them as "official" superheroes at the end of the first. So we could see them adjusting to superhero life, where they have to be those superheroes on a constant basis. How does Bob deal with a 9 to 5 and be an every day superhero? How does Helen take care of a baby and be an every day superhero? How do Violet and Dash handle school and social lives while having to be every day superheroes? Things like that. A sequel would expand on what we saw happen in the first one while making sure not to redo anything.

The Incredibles is just one of those films where a sequel would feel natural, in a world full of unnecessary sequels. I hope it happens!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^biggest problem is a good villain since the first movie had a VERY strong villain (once again a problem Tron had) I would want to see some new Hero's and maybe even a group of super villains that threaten the world.
    Could be cool to have Violet have a boy friend who does not know about her secret life and maybe make Dash have to choose between sports or being a hero full time.

• Minion

Or you know, use the storyline of the Incredibles comics for inspiration. The series has done a really good job capturing the feel of the movies and they've even been using Xerek, the villain Pixar ended up rejecting for the film.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Donald_Duck View Post
    I shouldn't have to bother explaining this, because their names weren't credited in the movie - proving they did not do major rewrites.

They did not provide at least 50% of the story or characterization, nor more than 50%.

Tron: Legacy is 125 minutes. That means the screenplay would be about 125 pages, because one page = one minute of screentime. So in order to get credit, they would have had to writtenat least or around 62 pages. If each of them had written "49.5% each," their names would be credited in the film...which they are not. I get what you're saying. "Maybe they wrote 57 pages." They probably didn't. If they had written that much, there would be credit.

There are a number of minor things they could have done. Fixed up some clunky dialogue, maybe made some changes to the first act to better introduce the characters, did some Act II work (it's generally considered the hardest part of a screenplay), altered or introduced the midpoint, maybe added to, altered, or fixed up some conflicts or resolutions, maybe changed a couple of plot points, made a more satisfying climax or set up a sense of future knowing Disney would be interested in a sequel...there are a ton of tiny yet important things. But they most likely didn't do anything major, considering they aren't credited.

I didn't mean to start a "thing." I was just trying to bring some fairness into the equation.
    I'm guessing you've never heard of "uncredited rewrites".
    The best screenwriters in the business are often paid large sums of money to rewrite scripts, but don't want their names credited.

• Wilderness Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Donald_Duck View Post
    The Incredibles is just one of those films where a sequel would feel natural, in a world full of unnecessary sequels. I hope it happens!
    Off-topic:
    The Incredibles is one of the few Pixar films that a sequel would feel natural for... unfortunately it's probably the only Pixar film that won't be getting one anytime soon. I'm still skeptical about Cars 2 and Monsters Inc 2.

On-topic:
    As much as I absolutely love Tron and its incredibly unique universe... I don't think it deserves a place in Tomorrowland.
    Firstly, it takes place in the present/80s. Neither of which are "tomorrow".
    Secondly, Disney needs to stop fishing for ideas using already existing stories.
    A tron-inspired ride would be cool, but it wouldn't help Tomorrowland anymore than Buzz has.

• I'm not really here

Parts of Walt's Tomorrowland took place in the then present day. Parts of it took place in the future. It was a mish-mash of "here's where we are now" and "here's where we will be someday."

That being said... while the film Tron takes place in the 80s/present day... the Grid takes place on it's own timescale in a place humans can't go yet and probably will never be able to go. It's the perfect kind of setting for a far out in the future, when humans and machines have merged, sort of thing. Tomorrowland needs to get away from the "what we think could happen based on what we now know" sort of thing and get far out. Dream huge and big... say when humans have colonized the galaxy. Imagine what a zoo would look like at that point. Imagine the technologies it might take or we might have discovered along the way. Imagineers can bring those sorts of impossibilities to life easily. Get far out, get crazy so that it doesn't have to be updated in 10 years time again because it's looking old and dated. Tron works for that as an attraction because of how insane the concept is.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

I never saw the original Tron, but I did see Tron Legacy, probably because Disney choked me and slammed me with everything Tron leading up to it. I almost felt I HAD to see it. Anyway, movie was alright, nothing special. Script was weak, visuals were cool, music was AWESOME. I'm surprised they greenlit a sequel so quickly, I thought Tron Legacy underperformed at the box office.

I'm all for a Tron attraction in Tomorrowland, because besides ST:II coming there needs to be another E-Ticket imo. The great thing about watching Tron Legacy was, I was thinking in the back of my mind, how cool of an attraction this could be. The music by Daft Punk would HAVE to come back to the attraction to, because that was a big draw to the movie too. I'd love to see how they do this.

• Mickey's pal

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    I'm guessing you've never heard of "uncredited rewrites".
    The best screenwriters in the business are often paid large sums of money to rewrite scripts, but don't want their names credited.
    Yep, I know all that. I never said they didn't do any work, I just don't think they did anything major. But I really don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    Off-topic:
    The Incredibles is one of the few Pixar films that a sequel would feel natural for... unfortunately it's probably the only Pixar film that won't be getting one anytime soon. I'm still skeptical about Cars 2 and Monsters Inc 2.

On-topic:
    As much as I absolutely love Tron and its incredibly unique universe... I don't think it deserves a place in Tomorrowland.
    Firstly, it takes place in the present/80s. Neither of which are "tomorrow".
    Secondly, Disney needs to stop fishing for ideas using already existing stories.
    A tron-inspired ride would be cool, but it wouldn't help Tomorrowland anymore than Buzz has.
    I think Cars 2 and Monsters Inc 2 will be good. For Monsters Inc 2 I have nothing to go off of other than Pixar's reputation and the great film that the first Monsters was, but with Cars 2 I think they'll take what people didn't like from the first one and learn from it, while expanding on the good qualities of the first. At least, I hope that's what happens. Monsters Inc 2 being a prequel will be interesting.

On topic, I don't really have an opinion on a Tron ride. If they put one in, cool. If not, also cool. Sure it doesn't necessarily fit, but the theming generally isn't too strict anyways.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast