Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Wilderness Explorer

Re: Good News for Tomorrowland? [Tron Sequel]

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Parts of Walt's Tomorrowland took place in the then present day. Parts of it took place in the future. It was a mish-mash of "here's where we are now" and "here's where we will be someday."

That being said... while the film Tron takes place in the 80s/present day... the Grid takes place on it's own timescale in a place humans can't go yet and probably will never be able to go. It's the perfect kind of setting for a far out in the future, when humans and machines have merged, sort of thing. Tomorrowland needs to get away from the "what we think could happen based on what we now know" sort of thing and get far out. Dream huge and big... say when humans have colonized the galaxy. Imagine what a zoo would look like at that point. Imagine the technologies it might take or we might have discovered along the way. Imagineers can bring those sorts of impossibilities to life easily. Get far out, get crazy so that it doesn't have to be updated in 10 years time again because it's looking old and dated. Tron works for that as an attraction because of how insane the concept is.
    Yeah I could see how Tron could be an "unachievable" future, which is exactly what Tomorrowland needs to be. However, I still don't think Disney should keep creating new attractions based on movies. If it's based around something real, it will become outdated.
    And while "the Grid" isn't real, and it's a perfect setting for the future.... no matter what's done, people will connect said "new Tomorrowland attraction" with Tron. And 20 years from now when Tron is no longer relevant... it will be outdated. Then we're still left with an outdated Tomorrowland.

• hunter of Hidden Mickeys

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    Yeah I could see how Tron could be an "unachievable" future, which is exactly what Tomorrowland needs to be. However, I still don't think Disney should keep creating new attractions based on movies. If it's based around something real, it will become outdated.
    And while "the Grid" isn't real, and it's a perfect setting for the future.... no matter what's done, people will connect said "new Tomorrowland attraction" with Tron. And 20 years from now when Tron is no longer relevant... it will be outdated. Then we're still left with an outdated Tomorrowland.
    couldn't that also be said though for Autopia? nothing really futuristic about driving and its been in the park for a long time, but its still a solid part of Tomorrowland that a lot of people enjoy. And there really isn't anything futuristic about the Nemo subs either. I think if done right a Tron attraction has a lot of potential to become a mainstay for Tomorrowland that even 20 years down the road still has a sense of relevancy.

I personally would love to see an indoor thrill ride (Space Mountain style) with lightcycles C:

• (Not a) New User

Quote Originally Posted by Oathkeeper View Post
    And there really isn't anything futuristic about the Nemo subs either.
    The original subs didn't really have anything futuristic either. The only thing that could be considered futuristic would be the high-tech device that allows you to hear what the fish are saying.

My Twitter! CardfightrHuntr

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyKid1994 View Post
    The original subs didn't really have anything futuristic either. The only thing that could be considered futuristic would be the high-tech device that allows you to hear what the fish are saying.
    oh I know the original subs weren't either (that was actually one of my favorite rides). I was just using it as an example to make a point.

Sincerely hoping for another Tron sequel. I'd love (a) new attraction(s) in TL also...I'm still wondering why they didn't do a Tron Legacy overlay on Space for the opening.
    ap·pur·te·nant – adjective: appertaining or belonging; pertaining.

...to Disneyland.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyKid1994 View Post
    In fact, nuclear-powered submarines were as futuristic as space travel in 1959, when Voyage thru Liquid Space opened. The USS Nautilus cruising under the polar ice caps was blockbuster news only the year before, and as thrilling as Sputnik -- "Jules Verne comes to life." Speculation about future undersea colonies was all the rage.

The reason the Submarines didn't remain cutting edge is that Disney wouldn't invest a dime in upgrading the attraction as new scientific discoveries were made. The popularity of Cousteau, the public interest in ocean ecology, the discoveries of plate tectonics, ocean-floor spreading and countless other ocean-related fields were ignored, leaving the attraction mired in the past.

Disney's only nod to current events was when they painted the nuclear subs yellow, in a halfhearted attempt to make them look like modern scientific submersibles. But of course, they didn't upgrade the show itself.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 01-24-2011 at 05:35 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Wilderness Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Oathkeeper View Post
    couldn't that also be said though for Autopia? nothing really futuristic about driving and its been in the park for a long time, but its still a solid part of Tomorrowland that a lot of people enjoy. And there really isn't anything futuristic about the Nemo subs either. I think if done right a Tron attraction has a lot of potential to become a mainstay for Tomorrowland that even 20 years down the road still has a sense of relevancy.

I personally would love to see an indoor thrill ride (Space Mountain style) with lightcycles C:
    Well now you're assuming I think both Autopia and Nemo subs are futuristic and belong in Tomorrowland.
    I don't think Nemo should be a part of Tomorrowland... or even Disneyland for that matter.
    I think Autopia should remain as it's a great family ride... but it wouldn't be that hard to make it thematically fit better in Tomorrowland. But that's been discussed thousands of times on here and doesn't need to be brought up again.

Tomorrowland shouldn't be based around a literal future, but instead around more of an idealistic future. While space travel is very present in today's society, I still think that the whole idea behind space travel and space-living is very idealistic future. The way Tomorrowland was initially designed was perfect. Obviously it needed to be updated, but instead of updating the presentation, they updated the ideas. And by "updated the ideas" I mean "added in movie-references."

Ok, I'm kind of veering off the subject here.
    My two-cents: I love Tron. It's an incredibly great experience. And I'm sure a well-done ride would be incredibly fun and I'd probably love it.
    But... I really don't think that Disney should add yet another movie reference inside Tomorrowland. It's starting to just become "TomorrowFantasyland." And while so far Tron seems to be a fairly deserving movie... it won't help the current Tomorrowland problem. It will only hurt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    Well now you're assuming I think both Autopia and Nemo subs are futuristic and belong in Tomorrowland.
    I don't think Nemo should be a part of Tomorrowland... or even Disneyland for that matter.
    I think Autopia should remain as it's a great family ride... but it wouldn't be that hard to make it thematically fit better in Tomorrowland. But that's been discussed thousands of times on here and doesn't need to be brought up again.

Oh I wasn't assuming that was how you felt about Autopia or the subs, I was just using them as an example to help illustrate what I was trying to say. I apologize if I came across that way ^^;;

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345