Page 100 of 801 FirstFirst ... 507590979899100101102103110125150200600 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 12005

• Disneyland History Lover

Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker XI

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
    There was not another place in disneyland that made walt happier then the GHR, or so his daughter says. I wish that DCA had a place like this, an adult oriented stage show that can be fun for everyone. Sadly I do not think that in this PC world DCA could get such a thing as everything is watered down now. The things that made walt happy, like the mark twain or the GHR in frontierland seems to be missing from DCA if you know what I mean. Something bigger then life, but not a spectacle, but an experience of authenticity.
    I think that's part of the reason they're installing the Buena Vista St. trolley. It'll help to capture part of the familiar magic of Main Street and bring it to DCA. I agree that a lot of the simple charms and pleasures in Disneyland are not present in DCA at this time. I have high hopes for BVS and hope that once all the re-works are completed, a little more of that magic will be captured. I really think DCA could do with a Mr. Lincoln type auditorium show. This would really help it in that regard. I would argue that the Carthay Circle Theater would be the ideal spot for such an attraction, but Disney obviously would beg to differ what with their plans for a restaurant and a private club.

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
    I agree, BTMRR is the only saving grace that is there now that was not there then. The Golden horseshoe sure has taken a turn for the worse, there used to be such lines to get in and see a show, and it was an experience that people talked about then like people talk about fantasmic or WOC now, as it was something that stayed with you for a long time after seeing wally boag and slue foot sue's cancan.

There was not another place in disneyland that made walt happier then the GHR, or so his daughter says. I wish that DCA had a place like this, an adult oriented stage show that can be fun for everyone. Sadly I do not think that in this PC world DCA could get such a thing as everything is watered down now. The things that made walt happy, like the mark twain or the GHR in frontierland seems to be missing from DCA if you know what I mean. Something bigger then life, but not a spectacle, but an experience of authenticity.
    Why was GHR removed? I never got to see the real show.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    No it wouldn't have... A boardwalk around the base of a ferris wheel is not a detail, it is just an extra walkway. The little details that make Disneyland special are the thematic elements hidden on top shelves and in nooks and crannies for the eyes to explore and discover. The difference between building for utility or building to support a detailed theme is what makes Disney special.

For arguments sake, say it was built. What would make it more "Disney" would be if it was done to the nines with little ornate touches and extras. What would make it more like DCA 1.0 is if it was bland and just a wooden walkway up on stilts.

This is what people don't realize. They for some reason think that DCA needs more to make it better. What it really needs is more detail throughout what it has already. Sure, the DCA ride count isn't high, but what was there was so plain. Thats why it wasn't not Disney, and adding a boardwalk would not help that.

Instead of a boardwalk, they could put fountains there, or a statue, or any number of things, but they didn't because the projection lighthouses were better suited to add something to peoples trips/bring in more money. Again, it is obvious that the only reason that people latched on to this one meager proposal instead of the millions of other possibilities is because it was the first project of the makeover and people are extremely eager to see DCA fail. So, they saw that artwork, saw they didn't add it in and jumped on it.
    I think the concept of the Fun Wheel boardwalk was an effort of making the place feel more authentic and complete. Paradise Pier, since 2001, lacked any character or real thematic touches. The boardwalk would have helped to make the place feel better thought-out and more Disney.

California Adventure lacks a lot of the themed hidden walkways or alternate routes that Disneyland offers, that make the place feel more intimate and complete. The park was/is a series of wide thoroughfares past underthemed environments. That Paradise Pier artwork not only presented the addition of a new bonus walkway for the park, but it also showed the entire area having much more comprehensive and evocative thematic details.

The wrap-around boardwalk might not have added anything of significant value to the park at face value, but it would have helped make Paradise Pier feel more complete and possibly more intimate, in ways that the trail behind Grizzly River Run or Mill View Lane behind Fowler's Harbor at Disneyland make those areas feel more intimate, more complete, and more Disney.

The lower level of the Silly Symphony Swings is a good example of this sort of thing -- it could definitely use some extra details.... but even I may not make a point to walk through that area on a regular basis, when I find myself walking through there I always want to stop, relax on a bench, and take in the views it offers. The Fun Wheel boardwalk would have offered this as well, it would have helped Paradise Pier feel more like a real land as opposed to a strip mall mixed with a cheap carnival.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• I'm not really here

^This is indeed a valid point, and a beef I've had with DCA since the beginning. Disneyland is full of nooks and crannies. Even wide walkways at Disneyland are broken up with planters and trees. It could have added that bit of intimacy and such. In the end though, I think they were wise to not build it. They can re-work the queue later with its own budget and include it, though admittedly, altered from the original idea to work around the WoC infrastructure.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    ^This is indeed a valid point, and a beef I've had with DCA since the beginning. Disneyland is full of nooks and crannies. Even wide walkways at Disneyland are broken up with planters and trees. It could have added that bit of intimacy and such. In the end though, I think they were wise to not build it. They can re-work the queue later with its own budget and include it, though admittedly, altered from the original idea to work around the WoC infrastructure.
    It's too bad when the lighthouses were constructed that they weren't built like the lighting for "Fantasmic!". They could have been placed underneath the proposed "wrap-around" boardwalk only to then "come to life" at night. I know it's wishful thinking on my part to hope that something like this will be done in the future, but I do think if Disney is wise they will consider a renovation of this type. Yes, it will cost quite a few dollars now that everything is set in place, but I believe it would help Paradise Pier tremendously in the long-run.

• Armchair Imagineer-er.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    [I think the concept of the Fun Wheel boardwalk....]
    Well said.

Friends that ask me why exactly they plan on building BVS or change things here and there in Paradise Pier understand as soon as i compare the lands in DCA to other great (disney) parks. The place lacked charm and special details.
    @Monorailorange

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I think the concept of the Fun Wheel boardwalk was an effort of making the place feel more authentic and complete. Paradise Pier, since 2001, lacked any character or real thematic touches. The boardwalk would have helped to make the place feel better thought-out and more Disney.

California Adventure lacks a lot of the themed hidden walkways or alternate routes that Disneyland offers, that make the place feel more intimate and complete. The park was/is a series of wide thoroughfares past underthemed environments. That Paradise Pier artwork not only presented the addition of a new bonus walkway for the park, but it also showed the entire area having much more comprehensive and evocative thematic details.

The wrap-around boardwalk might not have added anything of significant value to the park at face value, but it would have helped make Paradise Pier feel more complete and possibly more intimate, in ways that the trail behind Grizzly River Run or Mill View Lane behind Fowler's Harbor at Disneyland make those areas feel more intimate, more complete, and more Disney.

The lower level of the Silly Symphony Swings is a good example of this sort of thing -- it could definitely use some extra details.... but even I may not make a point to walk through that area on a regular basis, when I find myself walking through there I always want to stop, relax on a bench, and take in the views it offers. The Fun Wheel boardwalk would have offered this as well, it would have helped Paradise Pier feel more like a real land as opposed to a strip mall mixed with a cheap carnival.
    I'm a huge advocate of the little walkways that cut from here to there but this would not have been one of those. The little walkways that Disneyland has that feel magical all go somewhere and thats what's cool about them. You duck into a little nook and suddenly you pop out somewhere else.

This wrap around boardwalk would have taken you nowhere and would have been out in the open just as much as any of the other pathways. Again, DCA lacks detail, not just elements. And if it's the elements you want, Disney could add a million things to the pier that would cost much less than the wrap around boardwalk while adding all or more of the "magic" people are calling for. Flags and bunting come to mind.

The short of it is that there is no reason for people to want this one specific thing so bad aside from the fact that it was there in the art and wasn't as a final product. Because those who were looking for faults could point at it, it was blown out of proportion.
    Last edited by Trevor; 02-22-2011 at 08:37 PM.

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

I think DCA has "some" little paths- the trails around GRR and the small path behind the winery come to mind. But that is not much!
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I'm a huge advocate of the little walkways that cut from here to there but this would not have been one of those. The little walkways that Disneyland has that feel magical all go somewhere and thats what's cool about them. You duck into a little nook and suddenly you pop out somewhere else.

This wrap around boardwalk would have taken you nowhere and would have been out in the open just as much as any of the other pathways. Again, DCA lacks detail, not just elements.
    I think you're automatically assuming the boardwalk would have been some simple wood slats on stilts in the water with no charming touches or thematic detailing. I guess that's a fair conclusion to jump to, considering the Swings "boardwalk" and the overall feel of Paradise Park. Those two additions are nice, but they do still lack a lot of charm and/or detail that is needed in the park.

However, I will continue to respectfully disagree with you that additional smaller walkways, alternate routes that aren't simply direct, and varying levels of pathways are sorely needed at California Adventure. There's a reason Buena Vista Street is getting curbs and a street. There's a reason the Swings got that boardwalk. There's a reason why Cars Land is getting two additional themed pathways into it, beyond the simple need for greater accessibility. There's a reason a boardwalk was, at one point, planned around the Fun Wheel.

These are things that will give the park a sense of place and intent beyond the strip-mall aesthetic it opened with in 2001. Are they significantly important on their own? Probably not -- but as part of the whole picture, they absolutely are.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Dream in wonderful color!

Over the wall shot of entrance construction (2/21/10)

Construction in front of DCA | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Last edited by nonob88; 02-22-2011 at 10:44 PM.
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I think you're automatically assuming the boardwalk would have been some simple wood slats on stilts in the water with no charming touches or thematic detailing. I guess that's a fair conclusion to jump to, considering the Swings "boardwalk" and the overall feel of Paradise Park. Those two additions are nice, but they do still lack a lot of charm and/or detail that is needed in the park.

However, I will continue to respectfully disagree with you that additional smaller walkways, alternate routes that aren't simply direct, and varying levels of pathways are sorely needed at California Adventure. There's a reason Buena Vista Street is getting curbs and a street. There's a reason the Swings got that boardwalk. There's a reason why Cars Land is getting two additional themed pathways into it, beyond the simple need for greater accessibility. There's a reason a boardwalk was, at one point, planned around the Fun Wheel.

These are things that will give the park a sense of place and intent beyond the strip-mall aesthetic it opened with in 2001. Are they significantly important on their own? Probably not -- but as part of the whole picture, they absolutely are.
    I also think it's one of the reasons why the area around Grizzly is so appealing. Not just the level of theming, but there are areas to wander off to where it seems like you are miles from anyone else and you're not sure what's around the next corner.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
    That sounds like a really great idea! Chance of it happening (especially any time soon): .00001%
    So, you're saying there's a chance!

excellent post. i think u hit the nail on the head. i think thats what makes disneyland infinitely more charming r those little extra pathways and nooks/crannies that make it so much more interesting and intimate. i am curious and genuinely interested to know what u would add to the silly symphony swings boardwalk to make it better. and i dont mean it in an "well if ur so creative y dont you figure out how to make it better" sort of way. i am genuinely interested to know so i can picture it in my head.

Seeing that over the wall photo, I wonder if those are trenches for pipes or if those could be the foundations for the new gates.

I'm sure some of you have done this before, but I love comparing the entrance concept art with the current actual entrance to see exactly where everything will go.

From mintcrocodile and Bing Maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron W View Post
    I didn't even notice Sunday, but sure enough, there is the tip of his trident:
    twss

LinkBacks (?)