Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker XI

Quote Originally Posted by Truecoat View Post
    twss
    ^

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by DlandresortCalifan View Post
    excellent post. i think u hit the nail on the head. i think thats what makes disneyland infinitely more charming r those little extra pathways and nooks/crannies that make it so much more interesting and intimate. i am curious and genuinely interested to know what u would add to the silly symphony swings boardwalk to make it better. and i dont mean it in an "well if ur so creative y dont you figure out how to make it better" sort of way. i am genuinely interested to know so i can picture it in my head.
    I don't really like armchair Imagineering because I don't fancy myself a theme park designer -- but I think what immediately comes to mind is a wooden floor. It should have been a boardwalk - even if it was a simulated boardwalk like the bottom level of Paradise Park. Some hanging plants would be nice, as well. Perhaps a few themed posters? Might be a good place to post those great Paradise Pier attraction posters...

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    ^This is indeed a valid point, and a beef I've had with DCA since the beginning. Disneyland is full of nooks and crannies. Even wide walkways at Disneyland are broken up with planters and trees. It could have added that bit of intimacy and such. In the end though, I think they were wise to not build it. They can re-work the queue later with its own budget and include it, though admittedly, altered from the original idea to work around the WoC infrastructure.
    it took DL 56 years to have nooks and crannys etc. If u look at early photos it was a pretty bland looking place. Its gotten more detailed and beautiful each year..as will DCA.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Imag1neer View Post
    it took DL 56 years to have nooks and crannys etc. If u look at early photos it was a pretty bland looking place. Its gotten more detailed and beautiful each year..as will DCA.
    While true, but lets remeber DCA wasnt the 2nd Disney park ever built...it was the 9th! So lets remember they had a lot of pratce between DL in 1955 and DCA in 2001. Someone taken a stroll in parks like dak, tds, tdl, Epcot and dlp know these places had the amount of detail DCA is just now receivng on day one! Lets not keep using the DL analogy over and over again when they been building parks for decades now and know how to get it right off the bat when they want to!
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 02-23-2011 at 12:52 AM.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Likely Making Changes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    I think you're automatically assuming the boardwalk would have been some simple wood slats on stilts in the water with no charming touches or thematic detailing. I guess that's a fair conclusion to jump to, considering the Swings "boardwalk" and the overall feel of Paradise Park. Those two additions are nice, but they do still lack a lot of charm and/or detail that is needed in the park.

However, I will continue to respectfully disagree with you that additional smaller walkways, alternate routes that aren't simply direct, and varying levels of pathways are sorely needed at California Adventure. There's a reason Buena Vista Street is getting curbs and a street. There's a reason the Swings got that boardwalk. There's a reason why Cars Land is getting two additional themed pathways into it, beyond the simple need for greater accessibility. There's a reason a boardwalk was, at one point, planned around the Fun Wheel.

These are things that will give the park a sense of place and intent beyond the strip-mall aesthetic it opened with in 2001. Are they significantly important on their own? Probably not -- but as part of the whole picture, they absolutely are.
    Not at all.. In fact, that is the point I was trying to make before. People clammor for this boardwalk like it itself would be the saviour of the pier. I simply want to point out what the pier really needs in order to make itself better. The things you've listed such as curbs and details are not the walkways themselves that make the park better, but the details along those pathways and throughout the park. See my earlier post.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    No it wouldn't have... A boardwalk around the base of a ferris wheel is not a detail, it is just an extra walkway. The little details that make Disneyland special are the thematic elements hidden on top shelves and in nooks and crannies for the eyes to explore and discover. The difference between building for utility or building to support a detailed theme is what makes Disney special.

For arguments sake, say [the boardwalk] was built. What would make it more "Disney" would be if it was done to the nines with little ornate touches and extras. What would make it more like DCA 1.0 is if it was bland and just a wooden walkway up on stilts.

This is what people don't realize. They for some reason think that DCA needs more to make it better. What it really needs is more detail throughout what it has already. Sure, the DCA ride count isn't high, but what was there was so plain. Thats why it wasn't not Disney, and adding a boardwalk would not help that.

[...]
    I aknowledge that its the details that make whatever a Disney park has it in special, but adding an ornate walkway to a park that needs that detail much more in other places isn't going to help. What needs to be done long before an expensive (fancy or not) boardwalk is built is the addition of details all along the pier and throughout the park which reduce the sterility. It would be a huge investment to move the WoC infrastructure just to add it in and for what? Yes, its another opportunity for Disney to drape great little details from that tie the place together but before it happens there, it needs to happen on the main thoroughfares and existing structures.

In light of these points, I oppose the notion that canceling it was a huge mistake that the park is still suffering from. It was one proposal that would have been nice, but simply is not needed overall to add to DCA what is needed everywhere else. Its obvious that people were going to get attached to whatever first project didn't go through whether it was this or something else.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    While true, but lets remeber DCA wasnt the 2nd Disney park ever built...it was the 9th! So lets remember they had a lot of pratce between DL in 1955 and DCA in 2001. Someone taken a stroll in parks like dak, tds, tdl, Epcot and dlp know these places had the amount of detail DCA is just now receivng on day one! Lets not keep using the DL analogy over and over again when they been building parks for decades now and know how to get it right off the bat when they want to!
    This. DL was the first of it's kind. With DCA, they knew better... and chose to ignore what they knew.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Former Epcot CM

Any news on park construction/development, other than we still don't have a wrap around boardwalk anywhere and the themeing is still sub-par to other parks? There's only so many times I can enter this thread and read the same things day in day out. And by 'same things' I mean, literally the same things.

Draw a line. Know when to quit.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Likely Making Changes

Blog Entries

No^ and therefore the discussion which relates to the projects going on at DCA will continue as stipulated by the OP for the intentions of the thread.

• Lion

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Any news on park construction/development, other than we still don't have a wrap around boardwalk anywhere and the themeing is still sub-par to other parks? There's only so many times I can enter this thread and read the same things day in day out. And by 'same things' I mean, literally the same things.

Draw a line. Know when to quit.
    The problem is that it's not going to happen. Every two weeks, for the rest of all time, someone will come into this thread and complain that Carsland (or Cars Land) is a bad name for the land. Then everyone will either ignore them (causing them to restate their question a dozen times), or people will debate it for a page or two until all the same points are re-made.

Aside from the regulars of this thread, not a lot of people follow every discussion that's taken place in here. It's the reason that every month or so, the exact same debate springs up again. People forget who they debated it with the first time, so they remake all their points, and the people who haven't discussed it before hop in and join to add their 2 cents.

There's not really an easy way to prevent this from happening. I, too, have felt the occasional frustration of having to wade through 3 or 4 pages of the same old, same old in order to see if there's anything new or interesting happening. But I just don't see any way to completely avoid it. And I can tell you right now, posts like yours that complain about it are the last thing that's going to prevent it from happening. No matter how much the "regulars" agree with you and try not to do it, newbies and other non-regulars will come in, pose the same debate questions, and expect people to answer them.

I'm not criticizing people who bring up "age old" topics without knowing it's been discussed forever, just pointing out that it's the de facto nature of these kinds of "open ended" sticky threads.

"Big news" is pretty hard to miss, because it usually involves attached pictures. "Huge news" is impossible to miss because it always gets a new thread to discuss it separately, even if it's part of the DCA project.

Even with all the "casual" discussion that takes place in here, there's not an overwhelming number of posts per day. Usually only a few pages. When big updates or news hits, there are more posts. But you have to remember that the rehash discussions aren't rehashes for everyone involved. Many people are in on the debate for the first time, and therefore feel their points are relevant (and often times the points ARE relevant). Just because some of us have heard the same arguments a dozen times doesn't mean the discussion is inappropriate for this thread.

Is this area available for expansion of Carsland?

• Disney Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Truecoat View Post
    Is this area available for expansion of Carsland?

It has been rumored to be an expansion for carsland, an expansion for hollywood or a brand new land. I am pretty sure that when carsland opens, there will be area for new attractions within the footprint of the land without expanding into that area.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
    -Aristotle

Next Trip in 2012 to see the final product

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Looks like Triton went up this morning onto the Mermaid building. I don't have a great camera, so apologies, but there he is.

Also, adding signs to GSS:

Last edited by yoyoflamingo; 02-23-2011 at 07:48 AM.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Now with shell behind him...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

And just as easily, Triton is back down. Must have just been testing sightlines or checking how they were going to add him or something similar. Seems like he'll be there permanently soon though!

• soon i will grow up

So did it turn out being the same Triton sculpture from DL's old meet and greet pond? Seems like it is from the photos. If they did, I kind of like that they reused it, another little nerd fact for the fans out there.

LinkBacks (?)