Page 102 of 801 FirstFirst ... 252779299100101102103104105112127152202602 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 12005

• I'm not really here

Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker XI

I highly doubt they are using the same statue. It is probably modeled on that one and looks similar, but I just can't see them using the same actual statue. For one, this one looks bigger. And if you're spending 100 million on an attraction, why not have the keystone piece of the main arch on the front of the attraction be brand new?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I highly doubt they are using the same statue. It is probably modeled on that one and looks similar, but I just can't see them using the same actual statue. For one, this one looks bigger. And if you're spending 100 million on an attraction, why not have the keystone piece of the main arch on the front of the attraction be brand new?

The answer for me is simple: nostalgia. For me not everything is about the great big better future, but also the good things from disney's past. I look at Melvin, Buff, and Max when on the pooh ride, and the parking sign at indy, the throwbacks on tarzans treehouse with swiss family, with the mine cart in frontierland, with the bertha mae on the rivers of america and others. There are alot of people who really liked the triton statue over near tomorrowland and I think it would be a nice tribute to a part of disney that is gone but not forgotten. Newer is not always better when dealing with audience reception.

Plus it is another great trivia piece if it is the same triton.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Disney recycles all the time. Majority of the animatronic figures in splash mnt are from the old America sings show. Heck part of the mermaid building is recycled as they used the old rotunda from golden dreams. I think its very possible that Disney is reusing the triton statue from DL.

• I'm not really here

Is it possible, absolutely. I loved that statue as well. And yes, I know all about the America Sings->Splash Mountain conversion. Even Star Tours benefited from America Sings.

It depends on several factors though, what is the condition of the statue? Can it be modified to do what is required in the new placement? Is it the correct scale?

Sometimes, despite the desire to recycle and have that nostalgic touch of trivia, it ends up being best to just do it over. I think it would be cool to have the old one there. And if it turns out that is true, awesome. Guess we'll find out

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce05 View Post
    I wish I was in California right now, and not earthquake-central Christchurch, New Zealand. :'(
    Since this was somewhat ignored...

...I wish you were here in SoCal too. But I can't say too much, because we're pretty prone to earthquakes here too! lol

I hope you and your family is safe. Heard it was a pretty nasty earthquake down there.

• Pilot EdForceOne

... big difference between reusing guts that are being repurposed to save money and time... vs reusing a prominate piece that takes visual center as a 'reused' piece.

Especially if you took out the previous without any pride or acknowledgment of it's worth. I mean the grotto was ripped out without any real acknowledgement of it's 'value' - so now you go and try to take something you've basically said was not worth it's space.. and put it up front and center of something you're trying to blow people away with.. and now call what you treated as worthless before now as something worthy of admiration that you saved it?

Nah...

And why would Disney want to put a big, massive statue up over the entrance of a building vs building something of the proper materials for the application?

- All risk, little reward
    - Mixed messages

My magic eight ball says... not bloodly likely
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    something of the proper materials for the application?
    This was my main reasoning.

• Disney Fanatic

Here is a picture of the old statue:

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
    -Aristotle

Next Trip in 2012 to see the final product

I also suspect that the old Triton statue is far smaller than what is being placed on the building now. You would have to be able to see this new one from all different angles, and from what I remember of the old one, it was no bigger than a regular sized man (with fins, of course - or lack of, depending on how you look at it lol).

Quote Originally Posted by kibia16 View Post
    Here is a picture of the old statue:

it looks the same.

• 秘密のヘルツ

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Monkey View Post
    I also suspect that the old Triton statue is far smaller than what is being placed on the building now. You would have to be able to see this new one from all different angles, and from what I remember of the old one, it was no bigger than a regular sized man (with fins, of course - or lack of, depending on how you look at it lol).
    I'm pretty sure it was bigger than a large-sized wrestler. It was seriously pretty big. I think it may have seemed smaller because you couldn't get right next to it, since it was in the middle of the water. I'd have to see the new one in person to get a good idea, but I think it's highly likely that that IS the same statue. The old statue was perfectly nice and seemed to be in fine condition when they removed it. It also wasn't very old when it was removed. I think it'd be a good use of resources if they thought, "Oh hey remember that Triton statue? Could we put that up on the Little Mermaid building?"

I think if it's made of an expensive material, it's probably the same statue. If it was never made of an expensive material, then it might not be the same one, but is maybe the same exact pattern. I don't know if the size is any different, but I know they probably have that design in a computer somewhere, unless it was hand-sculpted from scratch (seems unlikely).

Anyway, it doesn't really matter or anything, but it'd be nice for all us geeks if it was the same statue. I always liked that area where Triton used to be. I'm glad the water features weren't really changed when the fairies moved in.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    I don't really like armchair Imagineering because I don't fancy myself a theme park designer -- but I think what immediately comes to mind is a wooden floor. It should have been a boardwalk - even if it was a simulated boardwalk like the bottom level of Paradise Park. Some hanging plants would be nice, as well. Perhaps a few themed posters? Might be a good place to post those great Paradise Pier attraction posters...
    i LOVE the idea of placing the new paradise pier attraction posters. such a little added touch i think would make it infinitely more appealing. i also agree with the wooden floor. i can only hope that later on they will re visit this area and add little thematic enhancements.

• A Malice in Wonderland...

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    My magic eight ball says... not bloodly likely
    You have a magic eight ball that says that?

As far as the Triton statue is concerned, I'm curious as to it's composition. Is it a solid metal figure or something substantially less massive that could be erected on the building?
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Look closer at the picture, it's a modified statue; however this does not mean it doesn't use some of the same mold.

• Dream in wonderful color!

The statues look almost identical, but the trident is definitely not the same. The one in DL's garden had water fountains in it, you can see them here in this picture

compare it to the trident in the photo Ron W posted (on the far right, next to the relief mural)

it could be the same statue with a different trident, or a brand-new statue altogether.
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

LinkBacks (?)